PDA

View Full Version : King-Seeley Shaper I just picked up

Craig Zettle
06-04-2005, 8:29 PM
My wonderful uncle just gave me a Craftsman King Seeley shaper, circa 1953-54. It has a 1/2 hp motor, 1/2" shaft, and that's about all I know about it. I tried getting any info I could from the old WW machine website with no luck. Actually two members of that site have the exact same model (103.23920) but have not responded to my plea for info. There does not seem to be a way to lock out the shaft from rotating when changing blades, and when I crank the shaft up all the way the belt jumps off the motor.
I can reach under the table and hold the pulley so I can loosen and tighten the nut holding the cutters, so I can still run it. But if any of you guys know anything about this machine, let me know.

Ralph Steffey
06-04-2005, 8:42 PM
I can't help on your machine but your post did,nt get on the owwm or I would have seen it you might want to try again, there is definitely some good help on old machines over there.

Dominic Greco
06-04-2005, 9:57 PM
And I believe that you can get the manual from Oldwoodworkingmachines.com
If I can locate that PDF I will forward it to you.

At one time I had the original manual and it was a real hoot to read. It had illustrations of guys wood working with long sleeve shirts, and TIES!

Since I built my router table, I really don't use it any more. But when I did use it, I don't remember having the same problems you do.

Does your shaper have a motor with a drum shaped "pulley" on it? Mine did. And the motor hung down so that the shaper had to be mounted on a table and the motor hung down behind it, below the level of the tabletop.

Gotta' love that Old Iron!

Craig Zettle
06-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes, it does have that huge drum shaped pulley on it, and that is why the belt slips right off the thing. There is no edge on it.

I did figure out the shaft problem. Notice in my pics of the shaft that the cutter and spacers are stacked to the top of the shaft, covering the flattened place for a 3/8" wrench. I found this when I took the cutter off. Problem #1 solved.

Greg Mann
06-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I had inherited the exact same model from my father many years ago, in another life when I had no expectation of becoming a woodworker myself. Sold it to a friend who used it extensively until he passed away, also too young. IIRC the arbor had flats at the top. I cant tell if you have flats under that nut. It has been twenty years since I last saw the machine. I sure would like to have it back now, to use and for the sentimental value.

Greg