PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw help

Bob Noles
06-04-2005, 7:36 PM
Well.... here is the "pest" with another question for the pros.

Sometimes I feel so dumb in having to seek help with my decisions, but y'all have been kind in lending me good advice and not giving me greif about my newbieness :)

When setting up shop last winter, I went on a tool buying campaign taking advantages of sales and good prices on all the equipment I thought I would need to re-enter my woodworking interest from years ago. Yes, I made some good decisions, but I made a couple of not so good ones as well.

One of the questionable decisions has come back to haunt me and it is called a bandsaw. I purchased a real cheapie from Lowes (GMC table top) and have not even turned it on until now. Wow... what a piece of junk, not to mention concealed damage from shipping or store mis-handling. Anyhow, I plan to take it back or otherwise dispose of it. :mad:

Now while I understand the "basic" purposes of bandsaws, I have never really used one that much over the years. I know there are 9 inch benchtop models as well as 17 inch and beyond floor models and everything in between.

My question is: Why would I need a big floor model vs a table top? My shop has limited space and I really question whether I would ever do anything beyond 8" stock. I usually use Borg type stock on pretty much everything I do or intend to do. I cannot see myself cutting trees and logs into usable stock at my age and condition. There are times I would like to experiment with rough cut stock, but only on a small scale as far as stock size is concerned.

I know I am still at the advanced begginer learning stage and have too many questions sometimes, but I sure value the opinions and kindness of you good folks here at SMC.

Could you please give me your pros and cons on what disadvantages I would set myself up for if I go for a really good brand 9 inch benchtop BS like maybe a Grizzly or possibly another recommendation you may want to point me at.

Thanks for putting up with me. Possibly someday I can help someone in the same kind way you have me.

John Hart
06-04-2005, 7:49 PM
Hi Bob,

I bought a piece of junk m'self and made it work for quite a while....Then went to the Delta 14". I like it muchly. But, 'round here, you're going to get great advice from everyone else and you can really bank on their expertise...but from what you're saying, it doesn't sound like you need to spring for anything tall. Maybe some good HP though wouldn't hurt.

Tim Morton
06-04-2005, 7:57 PM
Hey Bob, i wouldn't worry too much about feeling like you ask too many questions...I am more quilty of that than most and noone here has ever made me feel bad for doing so. I am really new to the bandsaw thing myself and am just getting to know my delta 14" bandsaw. I have read here that a few people have had good luck with smaller BS's and I would think the grizzly would be as good a choice as any.

Craig Zettle
06-04-2005, 8:02 PM
Bob,

If money (and shop space) is not an issue I would buy a floor model in the 14-16 range. There are a number of brands (I have a Mini) that all do basically the same thing. I have learned time and time again that it is better to grow in to a better machine than it is to outgrow a smaller one. Mark my words, if you plan on getting back in to WW'ing, the day will come when you wish you could resaw a piece of wood that you majically "acquired" from a friend or saw up a log "just to see what it looks like".

Bob, trust me on this one.
As the song says, "Don't ask me how I know".

Cecil Arnold
06-04-2005, 9:04 PM
I think Craig got it right. IMHO it is better to buy a tool that is a little more than you need than to need a better tool to replace the inadiquite one you have.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2005, 9:44 PM
Bob. The advantages of a larger machine primarily are associated with the ability to handle larger material, either height or width. A larger bandsaw makes the job of resawing a lot easier. The larger motor, heavier wheels and wider blade make this an easy task. A bigger floor model has more weight, which makes the entire machine more stable, and the table is larger which helps when handling the larger, heavier material.
I have 2 bandsaws in my shop. A Jet 14" with a riser kit, and a Rikon 18". the Rikon is for resawing only. I use the Jet for other bandsaw related tasks. I had thought that I would sell the Jet when I got the Rikon but I've kept it and I'm glad I did. It is very convenient having 2 bandsaws. A lot less blade changes and tuneups. The Jet has a 3/8", 12 TPI Timberwolf on it, and the Rikon has a 1", 3 TPI lennox blade.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's okay to have more than 1 bandsaw. One for the "small stuff" and one for the bigger tasks. If you don't see a need beyond the Grizzly 9", then go with it. You can always get a bigger one later, and keep the benchtop for smaller work. I'd make a bigger table for that Griz' tho' so that I could have a bigger work surface. That table is really small. Other than that, it looks OK.
One disadvantage to the smaller units is blade selection. The diameter of the wheels will limit blade selection. The smaller radius will place too much stress on the wider blades, and lead to premature cracking and failure. It sounds like you're not looking to resaw or use any thick material. so it may be a non issue for you. Conversely the larger units are limited in blade selection at the other end of the spectrum. The guides are usually too big for the smaller finer blades.
Whichever way you go. Have fun lookin' and shopping.

Nick Mitchell
06-04-2005, 9:57 PM
Bob, the only dumb question is the one not asked....

My advice, for what it's worth, is to not buy any machines or tools just because you thought you might need it. Buy tools when you do need them. You aren't in this hobby to keep tool companies in business, you are in it to enjoy yourself. Just because I have a bandsaw doesn't mean you need one, just because I have a tablesaw doesn't mean you need one etc etc.

Consider what a bandsaw is used for, cutting curves, resawing, ripping, and ask yourself honestly if you need a machine to do those things. Can you cut curves with a jigsaw? Is it pointless to resaw if you don't have a jointer and planer to finish up the board? Can you rip on the tablesaw or with a circular saw?

Don't overload your shop space with machines that get turned on twice a year. Don't spend money on machines because your neighbour or someone on the internet or some tool company told you that you couldn't be a woodworker without one.

If you decide that a bandsaw is the right machine for your needs,, then I recommend a floor standing 14" saw and some nice 1/2" blades. The Ridgid 14" is a decent saw for the price and would serve the occasional user well.

Best of luck to you.

Bob Noles
06-04-2005, 10:45 PM
WOW!

You guys have given me even more to consider and/or if I really even need a BS to begin with. I do have a lot of tools accumulated and I am beginning to see that many duplicate or overlap in their function. I know a BS would be a nice convenience, but with only a 13X18 shop, which is already starting to get a little tight, perhaps I need to think any further additions thru very carefully and possibly even eliminate a few tools that I didn't even need in the first place and only thought I did :(

Y'all have pretty much put me on track for the floor stand model, if I go with one, and have done a great job in pointing out the advantages quite clearly. NICE JOB fellas!

SMC is a great place to be for the proper help and I have learned so much. I am proud to be a member and appreciate each person who takes the time to respond to others who have questions or need help.

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Bob, I just purchased a BS150LS Delta with a 7 inch resaw. It is a bench top and not as powerful as the floor models but I just resawed some 6" ash with it and a timberwolf 1/2" 3 tpi blade. I also just got finished building a rocking horse for the grandson. It made all the cuts but 3 rip cuts on the tablesaw. I like it a lot and like you just don't have the space for a floor model although if I did have the room indeed I would have one.

Bernie

Vaughn McMillan
06-05-2005, 5:20 AM
Bob, like you, I bought the GMC tabletop bandsaw from Lowe's. I agree that it's a cheapie, but I have found it's workable for small curved stuff that'd otherwise be difficult to cut with a jigsaw. It's also handy for those "just need a quick cut and don't plan to measure too closely" moments. I made it a point to learn its limits, and I avoid pushing them, but it does OK as long as I stay within them. I wouldn't think of using it for resawing or anything that needed to be super accurate, but I think by the time it's worn out I'll have gotten my $100 worth of use out of it. Then, if the need presents itself, I'll buy something that's more substantial and accurate. As you've noted, if you have overlap in functionality with other tools, then perhaps you might not need the bandsaw at all.

- Vaughn