PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
11-04-2013, 8:21 AM
4 Nov 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
We had most excellent weather this past weekend and the temps were nice and cool for working in the shop. Typically, nobody calls me or wants to come by the house for any reason on a weekend...but this past weekend was the exception to the rule. The LOML Jr and I started working on her blanket chest (I have been saving the wood for it for well over 15 years now, a buddy of mine wanted help with cutting and gluing up wood for a benchtop that he wanted made, a friend from church came by and dropped off an old tiller that he is needing repaired (my son-in-law is an excellent small engine mechanic and he will do the work on the tiller), and a buddy of mine came by to drop off my trailer and to see what all we had going on in the shop. WHEW.!!!! That was one busy day AND I almost forgot, my son's and I were working on my bike and my college aged son's bikes in between the times of woodworking stretches. Played bass guitar at church on Sunday, visited with friends, spent time with the family on Sunday, and just generally had a really nice weekend. Woodworking on Saturday reminded me of my very real need for getting my saw blades sharpened or buying new ones. Talk about dull. I sure wish that there was a local sharpening service around here.

Well, that's it for me.......so what did YOU do this past weekend?
Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
11-04-2013, 8:34 AM
Saturday sprayed a door and frame to cover the plumbing in mom's laundry room and made some quick shelves from prefinished maple ply and edge banding for LOMLjr's room that have been on my to-do list since before I started the kitchen. Took a break in there to visit the MIL and then went to have dinner with my dad and brother since Mom went out of town for a well-deserved weekend away. Sunday, church, then went to take LOMLjr to on a tour of the private high school we plan for her to attend in about 2-3/4 years (yikes!) I went there but haven't been back in the building since not long after I graduated 20-some years ago. In the mean time they've built a large addition and made numerous improvements. Only one teacher remains from my days there, but the president is a 1st-12th classmate of mine, college counselor is a 1st-8th classmate, and the freshman science teacher is a K-12 classmate of my wife. LOMLjr is pretty excited about going there which is good. Then ran home to get the dogs and everything to install the plumbing cover and back to my parents to install that and have dinner.

Someone still needs to re-level the washer and dryer--my frame is square and level ;) For those that didn't see the thread on the rest of this project, that counter is a mobile cart, hence the gaps at the wall and washer/dryer. This all has to come out to be able to get the washer and dryer out for service. They'll have to remove 6 pocket screws to remove the door assembly so I wrote notes inside with a Sharpie for whoever has to do it. The wall behind this is a layer of drywall over a layer of plaster, over 1' of brick. Fun to mount stuff on!

Ralph Butts
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Well, Saturday morning I was all set to glue up the headboard and footboard of the bed I am working on only to find that our freezer full of food had stopped working. The wife and I scrambled to get as much food into the freezer in the house as quickly as possible. We decided to leave the less expensive items in the broken freezer while saving all the meat. This freezer was at least 30 years old and a tank. I thought it would outlast me but it just wasn't meant to be. It took me about 90 minutes to find another comparatively sized unit locally that I could pickup. By 1:00 I was firing up our new 21 cubic foot freezer. We lost some prepackaged frozen items but saved all the meat. After that I lost the desire to work in the shop.

Doug Richardson
11-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Sunday several people and I assisted a friend in installing a metal roof and siding his garage. Got there at 9:30 in the morning, and other than caulking some windows the project was completed at dusk.....