PDA

View Full Version : as get older am relizing should listen to experts in their field more.

eugene thomas
11-04-2013, 3:39 AM
I built my garage in 2007 and when had the garage doorinstalled the installer put in a opener I got from a borg store. was a WayneDalton I drive opener. installer was like man, take it back because its pos. well Iliked the idea of having the opener on the wall and out of way so had himinstall it. it lasted 6 years but only cause not open door thatmuch, maybe average 2 or 3 times week. Now I get to change it out. Only bright side is that I did install outlet in area where needs to be for the traditional style opener.

Rick Potter
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi Eugene,

I put the same opener on my 8' wide shop door. My installer also told me to dump it for a regular one. I stayed with it because the mounts on a regular opener would have interfered with my lighting and DC. The installer said I might be ok with it since the door was small. If there was a problem it was not prohibitive to replace it also, so we installed it. About six years now (knock on wood), and the Genie installed on my garage door has given me more trouble than the shop opener. It is a pain when it gets stopped opening or closing though. Takes it a while to figure out what it is gonna do next, and sometimes I have to use a stick to lift the weight to get it reset.

Rick Potter

PS: My installer was here for a service call on the garage door Genie a couple months ago, and said it would need replacing in the next year or two. The reason? He told me "They don't make them like they used to". I see his point, the motor on the opener at my old house was a regular full size 1/2 horse motor, like on my first table saw, with a screw drive at least twice the thickness of the new ones on my current garage door.

Greg Portland
11-04-2013, 6:04 PM
All home openers are a POS. The only good news is that the (plastic) gearing is standard in most models and replaceable.

Larry Frank
11-04-2013, 9:20 PM
I have two Genie openers that I bought and installed and are still working after more than 10 years with no problems. I would say that they are not a POS.

glenn bradley
11-05-2013, 4:51 AM
I imagine conditions have something to do with it. LOML uses her garage door as the primary entrance and exit from the house so it gets used many times a day. The current Genie is going on 8 years without issue. It replaced whatever came with the house.

Brian Elfert
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I also have a Genie garage door opener that still works fine after 12 years. I go in and out of the house through the garage door almost exclusively. If I'm out in the yard I generally just leave the door open. (My garage door is not visible from the street.)

Leo Voisine
11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Built my garage - shop in 2002

I wanted larger doors - 9' wide x 8' high --- 2 doors

I wanted good quality doors with great insulation - Garaga doors - with lites

I definately did not want anything from Borg - I am glad I made that decision.

The openers get used sever times a day sometimes. Main source of enterance

To Date ---- NO problem at all.

Patrick McCarthy
11-05-2013, 5:08 PM
So, not to hijack, but what are the best openers? Genie? Chamberlin? ????? Need to replace mine and would rather do it once and do it right. Thanks, Patrick

eugene thomas
11-06-2013, 4:11 AM
well the I drive is distant memory. well almost. I didn't want to take the spring thing apart so took apart the drive al fare as could. angle grinder took care of the gearing.

Dave Lehnert
11-06-2013, 5:25 PM
I have a Genie brand screw drive that was purchased and installed by a local garage door company. Must be 20 years old with no problems.

David Weaver
11-06-2013, 5:47 PM
I have a chamberlain 3/4 that's on a heavy wooden double door with old springs (don't want to adjust it for fear that they might break). It's worked well now for 7 years pulling more than it should have to and was 150 bucks on amazon.