PDA

View Full Version : Need input on what to do with this big burl!

Jerry Chandler
11-03-2013, 2:22 PM
A friend (non-woodturner) just gave me this burl he found on his deer hunting property. He thinks it is sweet gum but I'm not sure. It measures about 32" diameter and about 32" high. I've never dealt with a burl this size so would like your input on how to get the best use out of it. Any input
appreciated.274305274306

charlie knighton
11-03-2013, 6:41 PM
cool, looks like it wrapped itself around the trunk, i think i would cut enough to do an 8 inch bowl off the top of the burl, i would cut straight into the trunk, see how that turned before i cut the rest up, looks like some good stuff, keep the rest of burl from what you cut off for smalls

enjoy

Dennis Ford
11-03-2013, 6:59 PM
Cutting into a burl is like opening a Christmas present; hard to tell what is in there. This one is too big for a single project, just cut into the smallest area and see what you have. The first cut is the hardest but take your time on the remainder and cut off one project at a time.

Rex Guinn
11-04-2013, 7:49 AM
Just mount the whole thing on the lathe and turn a nice large bowl you could then set it on your dinning room table, no other place to put it and you can not sell it.

I would try to cut the trunk out and use it. Then cut the burl in multi pieces about 8" to 15" sq. Later you can then make bowls, lidded boxes, hollow forms, etc. etc.

I made a 32" dia. bowl from and oak burl about that size but it's only about 6" deep. It's been leaning on the dinning room wall for a few years. I think I will make a coffee table with it.