PDA

View Full Version : Japanese end-grain veneer

Mason Chumpia
11-03-2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhTbePvyXc

Not sure if it's been posted here, but I came across a cool video that I thought you guys might like to see.

Neil Schoepp
11-03-2013, 10:59 AM
The kids and I rake them into a big pile at the bottom of the slide. They slide down and disappear. We play for awhile then rake 'em again and again. We end the day roasting hot dogs on sticks over a small fire while drinking either cider or hot chocolate. The kids love it and it's another day they are out and not in front of the tv/ipad/computer/wii screen.

Bill White
11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Kinda redefines veneer doesn't it?

Uh, Neil is on the wrong post. :)
Bill

Jim Koepke
11-03-2013, 2:29 PM
That is incredible work. Thanks for posting this.

I have seen similar techniques for making banding for inlay only it is usually cut on a bandsaw.

jtk

Dan Hahr
11-03-2013, 4:25 PM
How does he make it look so effortless? Is the wood that easy to plane?

Kees Heiden
11-03-2013, 4:50 PM
When you look at 11 seconds, you will see he is cutting the board across the width. So the narrow strips have sidegrain on their ends. This means, he is planing sidegrain at the end of the video.

Mason Chumpia
11-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Ah, I see. Good eye! As I was watching, I thought to myself: "Why hasn't end-grain planing ever been that easy for me?" For the thickness of the veneer reported in the video (slightly thicker than copy paper), it makes more sense that he's taking a side-grain shaving.

Neil Schoepp
11-08-2013, 8:57 PM
Um. Oops. There must have been something more in my cider. I'm gonna run for the door now. :eek:

george wilson
11-09-2013, 4:52 PM
I think it is tricky that the grain in all the wood strips is apparently running uphill in the same direction so nothing chips out when he planes that immaculate slice of veneer!!!

Dave Beauchesne
11-09-2013, 9:17 PM
Here are a couple of photos of a Japanese Puzzle Box that was gifted to be me by our Japanese DILs father.
It contains at least 14 types of wood according to the sheet that came with it, and contains the veneer sheet ( style ) shown in the video. Indeed, the grain on the pieces is indeed face grain, but I have to agree with George - all the alternating grain direction, and no tear out??!!
The box dimensions are about 3x5x9 inches; one only has to look at the number and complexity of the pieces in the design to be thoroughly
impressed with the

Dave Beauchesne
11-09-2013, 9:26 PM
Sorry, sent prematurely.
--- impressed with the workmanship involved with these boxes.
I have misplaced to ' key ' to the puzzle box, which involves sliding tabs, lids and sides in particular order to open the box.
There are others here on SMC who are much more up on Japanese tradition, but it is my understanding there are different prefectures / areas ( like states in the USA ) and these areas will specialize in specific specialties in food, woodworking, clothing, toolmaking etc. so these would likely be easily traced to specific areas and / or makers.
Just thought I would share; excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

Kees Heiden
11-10-2013, 3:55 AM
I am thouroughly impressed too! I love watching these Japanese woodworking videos. But it is not endgrain, so just a little bit less mysterious. To be honest, I thought too it was endgrain at first, until someone corrected me.