PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws...Grizzly G0555LX vs, G0513 vs Rikon 10-325

Jorge Fornaris
11-03-2013, 7:21 AM
I have been looking at bandsaws for a while. I was leaning towards to the Rikon 10-325 and was waiting for it to go on sale at Woodcraft (typically $799). I had considered Grizzly in the past as well and just saw that they put several saws on sale. I was looking at the G0555 (anniversary coloring vs LX since they have the better fence system) or the Polar bear edition of the G0513 which is a larger and more powerful saw selling for $765 right now. With shipping that still comes to less than $900, plus no need for a riser block. I have read a lot of good reviews on the Rikon and have heard good things about the Grizzly G0555 series too but with that larger saw now on sale, it seems like the playing field has changed a bit. Does anyone have experience with these saws?

Curt Harms
11-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I have a Rikon 10-325 and am happy with it. I don't do a lot of resawing but what I've done has been no problem. My reason for Rikon over the Grizzly 17" was the need to move into a basement. The Rikon 10-325 was 2 piece and pretty easy to slide down the steps. At the time, I don't think Grizzly offered the cast iron wheels & trunnions or the brake. The Rikon is a little smaller but not much different. Another consideration would be power. The Rikon is 1.5 h.p. and would likely run fine on 120 volt though I have mine on 250. I'm not sure about running a 2 h.p. motor on 120 volts, Grizzly specifies a 30 amp 120 volt circuit which is not common. I haven't found the Rikon power limited but again, I haven't done any 'serious' resawing with it.

Bill White
11-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I have the 0555LX (no riser block-yet), and it has been everything I expected. Great value on a very good saw. The 0555LX anniversary edition is $445.00 + shipping.
The cast iron wheels really make a difference.
Get good blades.
Set up was a no-brainer.
Bill

Tai Fu
11-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I take anything with the larger wheel any day. A good Delta clone might be good, but you can't put a Woodmaster CT on it, or tension anything wider than 1/2" on a Delta clone. It might be fine if you never intend to resaw but it just seems like a saw with larger wheel can do more, because you have a larger selection of blades that work, you won't have problems with premature blade breakage, etc.

If the costs between these three saws are nearly the same, then it is a no brainer, always take the one with the larger wheel/throat. If the cost is more than double, then just take what you need. I paid 300 dollars more for a saw with a 18" wheel over a Steel City cast iron clone... I think I am happier with this one because it rips through guitar width wood without any trouble.