PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection for plunge routing and hand held sanding

Janis Stipins
11-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of setting up a small shop for hobby work (furniture and cabinets). Dust collection is a very high priority for me, much more important than tool cost. I'm currently installing a Clear Vue cyclone, which more than satisfies my dust paranoia for the stationary machines in the shop. But I'm still wondering what to do about dusty hand-held power tools, specifically plunge routers and hand held sanders.

Festool obviously has an excellent solution for plunge routing and sanding, but I don't have a need for the rest of the 'system' that goes with their tools. (Although I can understand how it all could be incredibly useful for a home remodeling contractor.) Still, I will go ahead and pay for a Festool router, sander, and dust extractor if there isn't anything else that can compete with their dust collection.

So the question is: Does anybody here have experience with a plunge router or a sander that provides dust collection that compares favorably to Festool's?

My apologies for asking what must be a very common question; but I couldn't find a very recent thread on this, and I know the technology is always improving.

Thanks,
-Janis

Bill Neely
11-03-2013, 12:48 AM
I have a couple of Festool sanders and the dust collection is quite a bit better than any sander I've had or used before. I use a Fein Turbo vac, it connects right up to the Festool stuff with an inexpensive adapter or use the Festool non anti-static hose that plugs right to the port of the Fein.

The DeWalt 621 plunge router has very good dust collection.

Jamie Buxton
11-03-2013, 12:58 AM
The Dewalt DW621 plunge router has dust collection that is as good as the Festool OF1400 plunge router. (However, in hard service, the Festool has a longer life.)

Most random orbital sanders now offer dust collection that sucks through the sanding disk. Connect the sander to a good vacuum, and you have a good job of dust collection. You don't have to spend big bucks on the sander to get it. Again, with Festool you're likely to get other benefits like reliability and less vibration.

Most any vacuum will suck dust from routers or sanders. I want a really good filter in the vacuum so that it isn't just pumping that fine dust into the shop and your lungs. Another good feature is tool triggering, so the vacuum comes on any time you turn on the sander. That way you're not tempted to sand without the dust collection running. Festool and Fein make vacuums that have both of these features.

Janis Stipins
11-03-2013, 1:00 AM
Thanks Bill, that's good to know... it hadn't occurred to me that another vacuum, like the Fein, could work just as well with the Festool sander. That's already a potential savings right there. :-)

-Janis

Ray Newman
11-03-2013, 1:14 AM
Another vote for the DeWalt 621 router.

Jamie Buxton
11-03-2013, 1:59 AM
One more thought about vacuums. If you're planning on mostly using the vacuum to suck dust and small chips from sanders and routers, a smaller hose is a good idea. It is more flexible than the larger hoses that usually come with shop vacs. That is, you get to steer the sander, rather than the hose steering it. Shop vacs have larger hoses so they don't clog if you feed them construction debris. The Festools and the Feins come with those smaller hoses. The generic shop vac from the Borgs is intended more for housebuilders, and comes with a larger, more rigid, hose.

Frank Martin
11-03-2013, 1:15 AM
Another vote for Dewalt 621. I have many Festools, including sanders, vacuum, saw, domino, etc, but never felt the routers are incrementally so much better than the competition. Years ago I had purchased the OF1000 (earlier version of the current OF1010) and ended up selling it as I felt it was too limiting with only 1/4 collet as I did not want to invest into 8mm bits. The Dewalt is very close to perfection in my book. In fact, I really like the through the column dust collection, which is easier for me to handle rather than dragging a hose around the base. I really like the design of the large Festool router with dust collection, etc, but it is too big and expensive for what I need.

George Gyulatyan
11-03-2013, 5:01 AM
I have a Dewalt ROS that I just hook up to my shop-vac. No dust issues.

Dave huber
11-03-2013, 5:51 AM
I got serious about dust control a couple of years ago.
I gave away or sold all my cheap sanders and am sanding with Festool and Bosch sanders now. Sanding is much less a chore with equipment that does not vibrate horribly or spray fines all over the shop.
They are also quieter and the paper lasts much longer.
Seriously consider a festool mini with a Super Dust Deputy.
works great, bags don't clog and is easy to empty.
I absolutely love it.
I've set it up semi permanently with the hose suspended from a piece of unistrut bolted to the ceiling in my basement shop. Since it is always available, I use it every time, and have much less dust in the shop to deal with.
Also don't underestimate the benefit of a shop air cleaner that recirculates shop air through a filter. It keeps the fines that escape the sander from settling all over the place (including my lungs).

Dave

Robert Delhommer Sr
11-03-2013, 10:15 AM
My Bosch 1617EXSPK with the optional dust collection does a good job when plunge routing. :)

Mike Wilkins
11-04-2013, 8:43 AM
The only Festool product I have is the track saw, so I can't provide any experience with their sanders or vacs. However, I do have the Porter Cable tool-actuated vacuum, which I have used with a variety of sanding machines, even a bench top band saw. So you are not limited to the Festool vacuums for adequate dust collection from hand-held power tools. Most sanders have dust collection of some sort, so just find one that you like with this feature, and hook up the vacuum. You may have to utilize some custom hook-ups, but it is not difficult. The big box stores have adapters that can be cut down to use with a variety of fittings, and a hose clamp can make it hold. Good luck and watch those fingers.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2013, 9:02 AM
I had a Festool Midi which was a great size for my shop as I use a cyclone for machinery dust collection.

The vacuum was only used for sanding and shop vacuuming.

I now have a Festool CT26, which is larger than the Midi, which is a negative for me.

The smaller hose is more flexible and therefore much better for hand held tools.

The bags in the Festool are great, and the vacuum fills them up, so you don't waste bags. They make a very nice unit...........Rod.

Keith Outten
11-04-2013, 1:45 PM
WoodCraft sells the small vac hose for about 18 bucks.

If you have an existing router that still has useful life you might consider buying a new plunge base that has dust collection capability. I found that 2 of my old Bosch 2.25 hp routers fit perfectly in a DeWalt plunge base that has the DC hose connector.

For a router/sander vac don't discount the possibility of buying one of the whole house vac's that you can mount on the wall or under a table. I have an old Craftsman whole house vac that works well as it has a big filter that you can find replacements for that are more efficient.

If money is tight install a reducer in your dust collection pipe that you can connect your sander/router hose to, even though the suction is less it is more than adequate in my opinion.

Richard Coers
11-04-2013, 3:26 PM
Consider working on a downdraft table. You can make a unit that can be hooked up to your central unit and have all the air around you being circulated back into the Clear Vue, or buy a free standing bench/downdraft table. A good downdraft table can also be used as an air cleaner. Have it running while you are in the shop and it will always be circulating shop air through the filters.

Tobias Lochner
11-04-2013, 3:34 PM
I completely agree with Richard. Make your own downdraft table, put some hinged side panels and a back panel on it and pipe it to you dust collection system. I find it a bit irritating to have hoses connected directly to my sanders (Festo, Bosch, Metabo). I also agree with the choice of the De Walt 621. A great unit with excellent extraction porting.

johnny means
11-04-2013, 5:21 PM
IME, routers really just don't lend themselves to good dust collection. I've resorted to purpose built contraptions for different situations. The problem is getting chips being flung horizontally to stop and go up into the base before they leave the vacuum area. I never could get the 621 to pull this off, too many gaps and constricted ports (typical router DC design). I'd love to see how others got this to work.

Frank Martin
11-05-2013, 12:22 AM
IME, routers really just don't lend themselves to good dust collection. I've resorted to purpose built contraptions for different situations. The problem is getting chips being flung horizontally to stop and go up into the base before they leave the vacuum area. I never could get the 621 to pull this off, too many gaps and constricted ports (typical router DC design). I'd love to see how others got this to work.

Best way to low dust routing is using the router table with fence and under the table dust collection. For hand held edge routing Festool has a special plastic adaptor that reflects the chips back to the collection port. Dewalt 621 is definitely not as good as Festool in that scenario. The thing is, those types of routing (excepting really large pieces) are well suited for table routing.

Paul Hingco
11-05-2013, 1:14 AM
I bought in to festool system and have each of their routers. They have the best dc of any router I've used including the dw621. Although it is also a great router. As mentioned the festool routers have a chip catcher which is used when doing rabbet type operations. It's the only router I've used with that feature. The 2200 is prob the best at dc and has a spring loaded hood that drops and completely closes off the routing operation.

mark mcfarlane
05-04-2016, 3:40 AM
Last summer I spent 6 hours sanding red oak with a 5" orbital Festool sander and Festool vac in my closed garage. No dust on any horizontal surfaces in the shop, so I assume not much in my lungs. The paper seemed to last 'forever', which is perhaps not a benefit you'll get from a downdraft table. This was a first time no-dust treat for me, and my hands weren't numb like they used to get with my 25 year old Bosch and PC sanders.

The only downside for me was I bought 2 more Festool sanders,...

Other less expensive solutions may work well, I don't know.

Robert Engel
05-04-2016, 7:35 AM
I should care enough to pop for one of the dust collector vacs like Festool, but the funds are needed for other things like lumber.

I use a standard shop vac equipped with a HEPA filter. I'm sure its a poor second to the good units, but I figure my dust mask is always right at hand.

glenn bradley
05-04-2016, 8:31 AM
Good collection at the router table is no problem with the DC you have. Collection from hand held routers will vary with how they're being used. Captured cuts like dados generally collect well with something like the DW 621 or other brands with dust collection components

336886 . 336885

Edge routing requires a different method; you need to capture from below the base. There are add-ons for this as well, even for routers that already have built-in above the base collection. check the 'accessories' section for the routers you have first, you may be surprised. There are also after-market offering from folks like Rockler but, these can be of varying quality to shop around.

Hoang N Nguyen
05-04-2016, 9:13 AM
I didn't read through this whole thread so I might be repeating someone else but keep in mind that the Festool sanders has twice if not 3 times the amount of holes on their pads and paper ( I believe 18 in all and can double check). This results in much more airflow for dust pick up while also helping to keep the paper cool and prevent them from wearing out quickly. This is one of the main reason why festool paper last so long. I've used the same 150 grit paper on 3 different projects, and the projects were big tables. That pack of 100 count paper I got will likely outlast my sander.

As for the Festool vac, I have the CT36 and love it. It's quite, powerful and easy to roll around. I have the boom arm on it so it brings my hose up off the ground and I don't have to worry about my hose snagging on the edge of a work piece for table. 1 hose and 1 power cord runs all my festool tools.

One thing I would do differently if I had to do it over again would be to get the CT48 instead of the CT36. They have the same CFM but the CT48 holds more dust/chips requiring less bag changes. The vac is in my home shop and never leaves so weight isn't an issue to me.

Bob Grier
05-04-2016, 10:07 AM
My first bad experience sanding was using a belt sander as a stationary tool for shaping salad tongs. Dust everywhere. I built a downdraft table connected to the dust collector and mounted the belt sander on the table. The table has 3 drawers for storing supplies and sanders, casters on one side so I can wheel it around like a wheel barrow, and 2 sides and back that hinge up or down depending on use. I use it on most all sanding operations either with sides up or down depending. I modified some plans I found, probably from this site.

My ROS has dust collection but I still do my sanding on the downdraft table when possible.

Using a ROS with good dust collection will go a long way to reducing dust but there are other sanding operations that don't use a ROS where I find the downdraft table really nice to have.

Al Launier
05-04-2016, 10:13 AM
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DNP616-Compact-Collection-Adapter/dp/B004AJ95FI ???

Rod Sheridan
05-04-2016, 2:37 PM
Wow, a 3 year old thread pops back to life.

I read my post from 2013, wouldn't change anything....Rod

mark mcfarlane
05-04-2016, 11:50 PM
Wow, a 3 year old thread pops back to life.

I read my post from 2013, wouldn't change anything....Rod

That appears to be my fault. Not sure how I came across the post....

Ben Rivel
05-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I didn't read through this whole thread so I might be repeating someone else but keep in mind that the Festool sanders has twice if not 3 times the amount of holes on their pads and paper ( I believe 18 in all and can double check). This results in much more airflow for dust pick up while also helping to keep the paper cool and prevent them from wearing out quickly. This is one of the main reason why festool paper last so long. I've used the same 150 grit paper on 3 different projects, and the projects were big tables. That pack of 100 count paper I got will likely outlast my sander.

As for the Festool vac, I have the CT36 and love it. It's quite, powerful and easy to roll around. I have the boom arm on it so it brings my hose up off the ground and I don't have to worry about my hose snagging on the edge of a work piece for table. 1 hose and 1 power cord runs all my festool tools.

One thing I would do differently if I had to do it over again would be to get the CT48 instead of the CT36. They have the same CFM but the CT48 holds more dust/chips requiring less bag changes. The vac is in my home shop and never leaves so weight isn't an issue to me.
Get the Oneida Dust Deputy for the Festool vac, save those bags.

Hoang N Nguyen
05-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Get the Oneida Dust Deputy for the Festool vac, save those bags.

I thought about it but not sure what savings I'll gain and how long it would take for the DD to pay off for itself in terms of savings. The DD also comes with a clear plastic bag that can be inserted. I can buy 5 bags for my CT36 @ $36 shipped from amazon, the DD bags are $25 for a 10 count. Add on the cost of DD which is $270. So I basically need to change out about 40 bags on my CT36 to break even with the DD. That's not including the expense for the DD bags as well. I've changed out 1 bag on my CT36 since October 2015, and only about half way full on my 2nd bag. At this rate, my CT would be in the landfill before I can use up 40 bags.

I also assume the CT vacs will lose a bit of CFM by having to run through the Oneida DD as well correct?