PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Peppermill

Kelvin Burton
11-03-2013, 12:00 AM
274264 I started making this Peppermill after one of our ETWA members demonstrated the process at our last club meeting. I decided they would make good gifts for Christmas and would not take up too much space in luggage!

Since there were no visible worm holes on the outside as I rounded the blank I was surprised to find one right on the junction between the top and the base in the center of the blank!

This one is Cherry and 10" tall. The finish is 2 coats of Formby's Tung Oil, buffed. I plan to make an 8" Salt Grinder to match. My wife has claimed this one as hers!

C&C welcome

Brian Kent
11-03-2013, 1:20 AM
Very nice, Kelvin. Congratulations.

charlie knighton
11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
just watched Nick Cook at nc woodturners symposium yesterday, yours look very similar to his design, his top was more rounded like an orange,

good work Kelvin, its nice to look at, also people with different size hands can pick it up, Nick's salt shaker is the cats meow

John King
11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Good looking mill! Further to Charlie's comments, I think you will find rounded mill tops fit more comfortably in the hand when grinding pepper. That's not to say mill tops should be spherical - just rounded for a comfortable fit in the hand. - John

Bill Hunt
11-04-2013, 8:12 PM
Kelvin, very nice! I use the same top on most of my mills. I like the onion shape and can't tell that it make any difference in use over a rounded top. So far I've done a little over a 100 mills. I also use the same general shape for the base as well as others. If you do very many you'll do yourself a big favor if you get the forstner bits designed for drilling into end grain. they're pricey but well worth the cost. (if you do a lot of mills) Again, very nice.

Michelle Rich
11-05-2013, 5:14 AM
I can see why your wife has grabbed it for her own..it is terrific..now get her a salt one quickly!

Bill Bulloch
11-05-2013, 7:49 AM
I'm glad you told us that this was your first -- other wise we would have never known. Great job.