PDA

View Full Version : I really need to be a good boy so I can go to heaven

Larry Browning
11-02-2013, 8:06 PM
Because if I don't go the heaven I will be stripping furniture for the rest of eternity! Man! I absolutely HATE stripping finish. My lovely bride volunteered me to to refinish 4 living room tables for a family member who is building a new house and wanted the tables to be several shades darker as well as color match. I have spent the entire day finishing this nasty job up. I still will need to sand them all (a distant second to stripping on the hated tasks list), then stain and finish these cheap veneered pressed board tables. (Well one of the 4 is actually pretty well made). I just needed to vent a little.

What's your most hated task in the shop?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-02-2013, 9:46 PM
My most hated task is the one you volunteered to do: stripping finish. I keep putting off a small night stand that needs stripping just because of the mess involved and the time it takes to get down to bare wood.

Larry Browning
11-02-2013, 10:17 PM
My most hated task is the one you volunteered to do: stripping finish. I keep putting off a small night stand that needs stripping just because of the mess involved and the time it takes to get down to bare wood.
Let me be perfectly clear I was not the one that "volunteered" to refinish these tables.
It was swmbo. But has she even scraped off even one bit of goo? NO! She went shopping in Dallas! Oh wait! I'd better be a good boy.....have good thoughts.

Rich Engelhardt
11-03-2013, 5:16 AM
Because if I don't go the heaven I will be stripping furniture for the rest of eternity!Take heart my friend.....I'll be right next to you stripping down furniture.
@ least you'll be able to chuckle @ my plight.
I'll be the one stripping down the furniture that has his ex-wife nagging him about how long it's taking.
All the while she's doing that, she'll be drinking beer and smoking menthol cigarettes and laughing because I can't have either.
:D

Sid Matheny
11-03-2013, 6:34 PM
Let me be perfectly clear I was not the one that "volunteered" to refinish these tables.
It was swmbo. But has she even scraped off even one bit of goo? NO! She went shopping in Dallas! Oh wait! I'd better be a good boy.....have good thoughts.

Man oh man, that sound like grounds for divorce to me! :D

Sid

Cary Falk
11-04-2013, 2:14 AM
I will throw something in the trash and rebuild it before I refinish it. Worst job ever!!!!!!!!!

Ed Aumiller
11-04-2013, 8:17 PM
Amen to what Cary said...

Rich Riddle
11-04-2013, 8:37 PM
My worst task involves anything that puts strain on my neck for extended periods of time. I volunteered to strip a desk top for a friend today and refinish it.

Jim Rimmer
11-05-2013, 1:28 PM
I'm right there with you, especially when it is something not worth saving. When my first grandson was born, my sister bought a used baby bed at a garage sale for $10. LOML and daughter wanted me to strip the paint and repaint. After several long hours of sanding, lots of sandpaper, and spray paint, I got it done. Went with them to BabysRUS and saw the same bad, brand new, for $100. At $10/hr plus material, I probably had $200 in the used one. (And we still had to buy a mattress).

Justin Ludwig
11-05-2013, 7:39 PM
Used to be sanding until I bought a 19-38 Supermax. Now: Edge banding. Mainly because I haven't forked over the dough for a professional EB yet. Every time someone asks for euro style frameless cabinets I cringe. It's on my list to buy...

David Weaver
11-05-2013, 8:17 PM
FOUR!! ewww!! You're a better man than me if you get through all of them and don't cuss someone in the process.

John TenEyck
11-05-2013, 9:59 PM
Well Larry, you've done your time in purgatory now so your chances are much better for a fast trip to heaven. I actually don't mind stripping furniture - as long as someone is paying me! My least favorite jobs always start when an acquaintance calls. "We have this piece of furniture that needs a little work. It's not worth much but it's been in the family forever and we'd really like to have it fixed. Could you come and take a look at it?" It goes down hill from there.

John

Larry Browning
11-06-2013, 8:43 AM
John,
This is definitely an unpaid job. I have completed the stripping, so it is up hill from here. I did tell her that from here on out, all furniture entering my shop shall have already had the finish removed.

David,
Oh, there was plenty of cussing. She just wasn't there to hear it.