PDA

View Full Version : 2 LMI SC 225 C lasers

Bruce Volden
11-02-2013, 6:15 PM
Some time back I rcv'd a PM from a member who mentioned there was a "tech group" that would tear things apart to learn/rebuild/update etc. electronics for the purpose of knowledge on how things worked. I believe his name was Robert??? He said there was a group in Iowa (close to me). I can't find his PM but I wanted to know more about these folk.

I'm am downsizing and going to get rid of these machines! NOT FOR SALE!! Donated for this cause.
If anybody can help, or knows of such groups a little help would be appreciated.

Mod's--this is not a sales solicitation, my aim is to giveaway, free of charge, 2 LMI's . Nothing more or less. If you feel a need to take down this post I will understand.

Bruce

Dan Hintz
11-02-2013, 8:33 PM
What do you mean by teardown? A laser is a pretty straightforward machine from a mechanical standpoint, just a CNC table, and there are plenty of plans for those out there already. If you're talking about the laser itself, you need to be careful as you are approaching potentially patented designs, and copying those is dangerous territory.

iFixit is one such group that does teardowns of smaller devices, but I imagine that's not what you're thinking of...

Bruce Volden
11-03-2013, 8:29 AM
Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that there is nothing about the laser machine itself which isn't available off the shelf already. As for the "tube" I'm sure you're correct on that. These machines are old clunkers-still running under Win98. One has a serial port, the other parallel. I was "told" there are groups who like to tear into this type of antiquity and "play"?--soley for the learning experience.

I don't think Fixit was the name.

Any idea how to go back a couple of years in my PM inbox???

Bruce

Dan Hintz
11-03-2013, 12:19 PM
If you deleted it, it's unlikely it's recoverable without serious pain on Keith's/Aaron's part, if at all. Search for hackerspaces in your area... they'll love to get a hold of something like that.

Bruce Volden
11-03-2013, 3:16 PM
Dan,

THANKS! This is definitely on the right track to what I recollect in a PM a while back.

Bruce