PDA

View Full Version : finsihed table pics

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-04-2005, 2:15 PM
I'll carry these three tables to my sister tomorrow morning. QSWO with ebony square plugs, 50-50 mix of Minwax Golden Oak and Minwax Red Mahogany, topped with Sherwood Dull Rubbed laxquer. She wanted a 'mesquite looking' color. :rolleyes: I hate oak, and I hate staining things...next time I'll just use mesquite. :D

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/shawn24.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/shawn25.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/shawn26.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/shawn27.jpg

Thanks for taking a peek...

KC

Ken Kimbrell
06-04-2005, 2:41 PM
Very nice KC, in fact they are beautiful pieces.
Your sister should be well pleased.

Jim Becker
06-04-2005, 3:33 PM
Yum!! Those are outstanding, KC!!

Richard Wolf
06-04-2005, 4:05 PM
Kirk, the tables look great. I don't know about mesquite, none around the North East, but the QSWO really belongs on those tables. The staining just makes those flecks pop. Beautiful job.

Richard

Dan Forman
06-04-2005, 4:58 PM
Fabulous job! The staining was well worth the trouble. I bet she will love them.

Dan

Lamar Horton
06-04-2005, 5:19 PM
If you are that good with wood you hate, I would love to see some of your work with wood you love. Great job!!!!!!.

Lamar

Tim Morton
06-04-2005, 5:20 PM
stunning!!! all around perfect!!! design A+ choice of wood A+ and finishing A+!!! Great work!!!:D

Rob Russell
06-04-2005, 6:45 PM
KC,

For a guy who hates oak, you surely did the wood proud!

I'm curious, why don't you like oak?

Rob

Alan Tolchinsky
06-04-2005, 7:02 PM
How did you finish them? The finish looks great! Alan in Md.

Mark Singer
06-04-2005, 7:30 PM
Kirk,

Great work! Those have it all...design and crafstmanship....

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2005, 7:36 PM
Nice work KC, those are really great looking!

Corey

Bob Marino
06-04-2005, 7:53 PM
Beautiful job, Kirk. And the drawers of the same qswo is something you don't see often, but I think exudes quality. What is that Sherwood product?

Bob

Alan Turner
06-04-2005, 8:27 PM
Nice job. And, 3 tables is a lot of work. Well done.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-05-2005, 1:06 AM
KC -
Most Excellent! Love the color, fit, and finish. The ebony plug details just add so much (both visually and structurally) to the integrity of M&T design.
Just wondering why you prefer to use QS inside the drawers instead of using it on the outside to build up the posts using quadralinear techniques?
Either way it is just beautiful.
rick

I didn't use the quadrilinear legs for two reasons...first, (and honestly), I'm lazy. Second, I knew I wanted to cut those little tapers at the bottom of the legs and I figured that was a good excuse to use a solid blank so I wouldn't have glue lines showing.

I've never liked oak. No particular reason I guess...I've just always thought almost any other wood is prettier. The quater sawn does make a difference, though. :)

Lacquer is the Sherwin Williams product# T77-F38 that I always use. The Fxx is the sheen designation.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Bruce Page
06-05-2005, 1:41 AM
Beautiful, I bet your sister is a happy camper! Those tables live up to your typical high quality craftsmanship.
I will have to try your staining mixture, I love the color. Is QS white oak readily available in your neck of the woods?

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-05-2005, 1:46 AM
I got the material at Hogan (Paxton) in Austin. All the yards around here have it.

Vaughn McMillan
06-05-2005, 4:34 AM
Very nice tables, KC. I'm sure your sister will be very pleased. I don't have any experience with stained oak, but seeing your results have inspired me.

- Vaughn

John Hart
06-05-2005, 7:36 AM
I remember seeing the beginning of those in your workshop cleanup pics. They sure turned out nice. The color is great. I don't like oak either but you sure made it beautiful.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-05-2005, 9:35 PM
Very nice K. C.! Do a few more like these and I think you will start liking oak, at least QSWO.

Dale Thompson
06-05-2005, 9:49 PM
Kirk,
Georgeous job!! I'd like to take a crack at Mesquite but I'm sure that it's your talent that makes it look so great! :) We don't have much Mesquite up here in the north woods. We've got a LOT of mosquitoes, though. :(

GREAT TABLES, GUY!!! :) :D

Dale T.

Michael Stafford
06-06-2005, 6:18 AM
Kirk, I love the rich color you were able to achieve. The finish is wonderful. You did a great job!

Charlie Jones
06-06-2005, 7:57 AM
Wow, Not exactly a perfect match but its not possible with oak anyway. The Color is stunning. I love that color and grain.