PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Completion of First Project

Chad Johnson
11-02-2013, 7:32 AM
I have lurked around here for awhile and said that I would let myself register on the forum after I completed my first hand tool project. Last night I wrapped up a tool chest modeled after the chest described in "Anarchist Tool Chest". It took two years to develop loads of practice to develop the skills necessary to build the chest, starting with the absolute basics of sharpening and adding skills from there. The chest is not perfect but I am quite pleased with the results. All handout dovetails, through mortise and tenons on the lid, solid wood panels glued up using nothing but hand planes to perfect the edges. It has been quite an undertaking. Anyway I hope to spend a little more time on the forum but in the mean time I just wanted to stop and introduce myself.

Tony Shea
11-02-2013, 9:24 AM
Very nice Chad. Welcome to a wonderful community and you've made a very good entrance for yourself. Hope the chest serves you and your space well.

Dave Parkis
11-02-2013, 9:32 AM
Welcome!! Very nice chest. I also noticed a couple of stealth gloats in there :))

Steve Voigt
11-02-2013, 9:44 AM
Wow! That is one heck of a first project! Welcome and great job!

-Steve

Chad Johnson
11-02-2013, 9:45 AM
Welcome!! Very nice chest. I also noticed a couple of stealth gloats in there :))
You caught me, I suppose there is a little pride in the chest!

Chris Griggs
11-02-2013, 9:47 AM
Very nice. Especially for a first project...really well done.

I noticed the stealth gloats too....nothing like a good stealth gloat.

Judson Green
11-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Howdy Chad. Excellent job on the tool chest and good gloating

Paul Saffold
11-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the creek, Chad. As others have said, very nice first project. If you've been lurking, you know this is a very helpful group.
Paul

Stew Hagerty
11-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome Chad. It looks like you did a really great job. You deserve to be proud.

Casey Gooding
11-02-2013, 2:48 PM
Nice job. Looks a lot like mine. I only have two drawers right not, but will probably add another.

Jim Koepke
11-02-2013, 3:24 PM
Chad,

Welcome to the Creek. Here is where I usually make mention about your location not being in your profile.

Very nice work on a challenging project.

So where do you hail from?

jtk

Bill White
11-02-2013, 3:45 PM
I wouldn't back away from that chest in the least.
I say, "well done", and welcome.
Bill

Neil Schoepp
11-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Nice job! I'm just starting out and like you lurking mostly. It's nice to know that one day I to will be able to accomplish something that good, though right now I'd be happy just getting a sharp edge. What do you have line up to do next?

Winton Applegate
11-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Impressive and useful.
Yep this is about the best discussion group I have found for woodworking.
Glad you spoke up and introduced your self and your project.

Careful you don't fall into the trap I have come to enjoy . . . making tools (a tool chest is a tool), so I can make tools to make the tools I really wanted to make to start with. Furniture ? Oh yah . . . I will get around to that . . . some day.

What do you have in mind to make next ?