PDA

View Full Version : Norm Inspired Me Today!.........

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2005, 1:56 PM
No, I am not building the 2 pc highboy, I think that piece even stressed Norm out. Today he went back to the builder of the sign that hangs in front of his shop and talked to the people who made the sign. It is a fairly hi-tech sign shop with a CNC routing machine but some low tech methods used as well.

Norm went back to the shop and made several examples of signs. I went out got some router bits and designed a sign for our devider wall between the flower garden and the vegtable garden. IT will of course have our name and I am going to free hand in a bird on a branch... the bird will be the state bird of Iowa... the goldfinch. Anyway, I am off to create!!

Corey

Lee DeRaud
06-04-2005, 2:35 PM
No, I am not building the 2 pc highboy, I think that piece even stressed Norm out. Today he went back to the builder of the sign that hangs in front of his shop and talked to the people who made the sign. It is a fairly hi-tech sign shop with a CNC routing machine but some low tech methods used as well.

Norm went back to the shop and made several examples of signs. I went out got some router bits and designed a sign for our devider wall between the flower garden and the vegtable garden. IT will of course have our name and I am going to free hand in a bird on a branch... the bird will be the state bird of Iowa... the goldfinch. Anyway, I am off to create!!I'd love to see that show, but the only PBS station here that carries NYW is in the middle of their quarterly beg-a-thon. :mad:
The show running in that timeslot today is something called "Power Aging"...like I needed any help getting older.

Bob Noles
06-04-2005, 2:45 PM
Corey,

When you finish.... Pictures are required..... Please!

Norman Hitt
06-04-2005, 6:54 PM
Well, our PBS station has been bouncing around from one operating Entity to another for the last 8 months, and I think complete Idiots are working there now. Today during Norm's time and This old house and Ask this Old House they were running something about the Passover that should probably have been on the History Channel, or at least should have been run before Easter. During the next two woodworking/home improvement time slots, the screen was just Black. :( They did finally get going again for Most of Motor Week, I guess, and I finally got to see a Re-run program on The Router Workshop.

Besides me missing my normal Saturday favorite shows, I couldn't even watch a movie, because the LOML, (who's recently become obsessed with Nascar, since one of her friends gave her some tickets to a "Live Race" at the track North of Ft. Worth), had the TV tied up watching a race. Until three nites ago, that wouldn't have been a problem, but we didn't get things unplugged soon enough and lost the telephone ringing system, and two TV's during the electrical storm. :mad: I liked to race when I was a kid, Bu....t, watching cars running around an oval track for 200 to 4 or 5 hundred times has got to be the most boring thing I could possibly do.

I was so disgusted by then, I didn't even go out to the shop, just took my anger out on two Oleander bushes that had needed trimming since last year. :mad: :mad: I will say, it will be at least two or three years before they need trimming again. :D :D

Maybe Dale will make so much money with his woodworking he'll BUY PBS and put ALL Woodworking shows on it. :)

Michael Ballent
06-04-2005, 6:55 PM
I'd love to see that show, but the only PBS station here that carries NYW is in the middle of their quarterly beg-a-thon. :mad:
The show running in that timeslot today is something called "Power Aging"...like I needed any help getting older.

I know what you mean... I was looking for part 2 of 2 of the media press to be aired today and my PBS station decided that it was time to do another beg-a-thon as well. I have part 1 recorded. I wanted to build the bottom half as a 38" dresser/changing table and I was hoping to avoid buying the plans or at least having the full video recorded. Now I guess I will have to wait a month to get the other half of the program.... *uhg* :mad: I guess it's off to the new yankee WWW site to buy the plans. I was trying to avoid even doign that, but it seems that no one in the Phoenix area even carries the plans any more locally.

David Fried
06-04-2005, 6:57 PM
Since I don't have a TV I miss all this stuff. Is Norm available on DVD?

Michael Ballent
06-04-2005, 7:01 PM

Each project is available on DVD or VHS :confused: from http://www.newyankee.com as well as plans. The new season is available on DVD and some of the older popular shows are as well, everything else is on VHS...

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2005, 7:34 PM
Well that was a bust! I spent the afternoon laying out the sign, doing the letter work transferring, drawing the birdies and the first cut with the router freehand went right through the workpiece and into the board I was using for a support piece and that was that. In my haste I forgot to adjust the bit.....ughhhhhhhhh 3 hours waisted. Oh well..... I will give it another shot later I guess.

Corey

Lee DeRaud
06-04-2005, 8:42 PM
Well that was a bust! I spent the afternoon laying out the sign, doing the letter work transferring, drawing the birdies and the first cut with the router freehand went right through the workpiece and into the board I was using for a support piece and that was that. In my haste I forgot to adjust the bit.....ughhhhhhhhh 3 hours waisted. Oh well..... I will give it another shot later I guess.Sounds like me the first time I used a plunge router: "Oh, so that's that 'depth stop' thingy they keep yammering about in the manual!!" :p

Keith Christopher
06-05-2005, 12:59 AM

*scratches head* Umm you don't have a TV but you have a DVD player ? Sounds like a bad christmas idea for you. *giggle*

*scratches head*

Keith

Byron Trantham
06-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Well that was a bust! I spent the afternoon laying out the sign, doing the letter work transferring, drawing the birdies and the first cut with the router freehand went right through the workpiece and into the board I was using for a support piece and that was that. In my haste I forgot to adjust the bit.....ughhhhhhhhh 3 hours waisted. Oh well..... I will give it another shot later I guess.

Corey

Corey, don't you just hate it when you do that? I recently plugged in my router and the thing took off! I was so shocked I just stood there not sure what had happened. Luckily nothing was damaged except my nerves. :eek:

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I still can't believe I did that. I love routers, one of my favorite tools and I am usually very careful. Glad I had a board underneath and I didn't cut down through the bench. Oh well.....

Corey

Dale Rodabaugh
06-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I used to watch Norms show on HGTV at 7 AM every morning.They no longer show it,maybe once a week.They show shows like Trading Spaces,4 or 5 times a day.I guess their audience is a bunch of teenyboppers.Nothing on that channel interests me anymore.Guess I am getting old and cranky,but it would be nice to watch some informative shows,like New Yankee Workshop.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Scott Donley
06-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Corey
Not 3 hours wasted, 3 hours of learning and practice! How about routing all the letters the same way then adding a 1/4 backing board, lighter or darker? Might give it some depth that may even look good!

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Scot, I thought about using a backer and just scroll sawing the rest out, however, since it will be outside I am afraid the two will seperate at some point. No biggie though. I will get her done.

Corey

Fred Voorhees
06-05-2005, 7:10 PM
Besides me missing my normal Saturday favorite shows, I couldn't even watch a movie, because the LOML, (who's recently become obsessed with Nascar, since one of her friends gave her some tickets to a "Live Race" at the track North of Ft. Worth), had the TV tied up watching a race. Until three nites ago, that wouldn't have been a problem, but we didn't get things unplugged soon enough and lost the telephone ringing system, and two TV's during the electrical storm. :mad: I liked to race when I was a kid, Bu....t, watching cars running around an oval track for 200 to 4 or 5 hundred times has got to be the most boring thing I could possibly do.
Norm, take it from a person who has been attending the racing events, both locally and on the national level, you really need to learn the intricasies of the sport before you can truly appreciate it! Those that see it only as cars running around "in circles" as they say, say a whole lot more about how much they don't know about the sport....than the sport itself. That being said, I can take you to a local dirt track that I attend regularly and if by the end of the night, you are not a raving lunatic from the exciting action, I will be forced to get the medical crew to check you for a heart beat! I've been going to the races for over forty years and wouldn't want to change that for all the world.