PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Stew Hagerty
11-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I picked up this piece of Marbled Padauk from Cook Woods.

At 7/8" x 10 1/2" x 48 1/4" it's not a large piece. But it has well over 100bf of WOW! I have really nice chunk of 10/4 around 6' long of "ordinary" padauk already in my rack, so now I just need a project to go with the wood. SWMBO has already said that, whatever I make from it, it is going to be for her.

Judson Green
11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Way to go Stew! The best part is that your wife has already coveted it as her own.

Stew Hagerty
11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I was thinking maybe make it into the door panels of something. If I use it as a tabletop or something, anything sitting on it will just cover up all of that amazing natural beauty that God put there.

Judson Green
11-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I know what ya mean. I sure do like nicely figured table top but then it ends up cluttered up with junk.

Jim Neeley
11-02-2013, 5:23 PM
Stew,

That's a beautiful piece of wood, no doubt! Whatever you choose to make, you may want to plan around Padauk being very UV-reactive. By that I mean that the wood, when exposed to light, darkens over time (i.e. the red turns brown) and I'm not aware of any way to fully stop that except to keep it in a dimly lit area.

By that I mean that if you decide to make a table and place a table lamp on it, after a while you will have a ring of wood under the light that is redder than the rest of the table. About 5 years ago I made some pretty cool 3-D trivets out of padauk; the top is now dark brown while the bottom is a bright orange-red! Both are pretty, just different.

Jim in Alaska

Mike Hollingsworth
11-02-2013, 6:48 PM
I love to drive the west coast and have dropped by Cook Woods more than once. That piece would not have been left behind. A treasure for your stash.