PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10" bandsaw

john davey
11-01-2013, 10:30 PM
OK, can I get a little info fro the guys that own these. I recently posted a thread about bandsaws and am thinking I am going to sell my 14 inch and replace it with a larger one and this Rikon for the small work. I currently have the Delta 14" closed stand platinum BS and am happy with it but I want more resaw for bowl blanks and such. So tell me how you like the Rikon. I will most likely have a smaller blade on it and use it for curves in flatwork. Adding the larger saw for resawing and bowls. For the guys and gals that own this are you happy with it? I am going down this road now as Woodcraft has it on sale and what the heck if I can save a few pennies on something I was planning on then why not. My lst post had alot of replies that the two saw thing is what others are doing so we don't need to clog this post up with that again. Just really interested in the Rikon 10". Thanks, John...

Keith Outten
11-02-2013, 7:59 AM
John,

I own a Rikon 10" band saw. I bought it about two years ago and I can tell you that I was surprised how well it works for such a small saw. I have even re-sawed Corian on mine several times and I cut a lot of plastic with it for sign projects.

I recently replaced my 18" Jet with a 22" Felder but I plan to keep the little Rikon for junk work and for tight curves.

Roger Pozzi
11-02-2013, 9:53 AM
The Rikon 10" band saw is my first and only band saw. It is much more useful than some reviews state but, most of those are based on opinion, not actual use in my experience.
As I was setting mine up at first, I followed Alex Snodgrass' video to the letter. My first ever use was to resaw 3/4" X 3 1/2" padauk and the results were perfect!! Light sanding only.
For small projects I don't think you can go wrong.

Dan Rude
11-02-2013, 12:42 PM
The Craftsman 10" could be an even cheaper option. I don't know for sure it is the same saw, but it sure looks the same. I have the 14 inch C-Man and have been extremely happy with it, I did install the Carter set and use the scroll Carter bearing guide quite a bit. I would think it would install on the 10" just as well. The 10" Craftsman is on sale quite a bit for around $100. Dan

Mike Wilkins
11-04-2013, 9:07 AM
I have one that is used for the small, scrolly stuff. It is a fine compliment to my Laguna LT18. I use 3/16 or 1/4 inch blades on it and it has been a fine machine. I have had mine for about 3-4 years, and at that time they did not come with a rip fence. I believe the newer models do have a fence. I don't think you can go wrong.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I think it's a great little saw. It comes with roller guides, so no upgrade is needed. Mine has no fence either, but I do have a PM 14", so the little RIkon is used for free hand stuff.

About the Craftsman, it may be the same or similar to the Rikon, (sure looks like it) BUT from past experience, sometimes Sears contracts brand X to make a machine for them , and they change the design a tiny bit, so the parts don't interchange...... Now you are locked in to buying Sears parts. Or you could take a chance and see if the parts do interchange.