PDA

View Full Version : Buying a laptop

Dave Lehnert
11-01-2013, 7:40 PM
If you were going to buy a new laptop, Who would be your first choice retailer to buy from?

Matt Meiser
11-01-2013, 8:39 PM
Assuming a PC, no one but Dell. Dell offers in home service in 1-2 days. Everyone else that I know of you send it off maybe for weeks. Or worse, the geek squad messes with it.

Harry Simms
11-01-2013, 8:56 PM
I've always bought direct from Dell. I've had good luck with their machines. I've bought my last few from the "Dell Outlet". Typically, these are machines that were purchased and returned. You don't have as much flexibility on the specs, but you can get some good deals if they have what you want.

Lee Schierer
11-01-2013, 8:59 PM
I would buy an ASUS laptop. I've had mine for 2 years with zero problems. It has worked flawlessly from day one.

Mike Cutler
11-01-2013, 8:59 PM
Apple.

Sorry, I'm a Mac guy. Gotta be one in the crowd right?
In the 16+ years I've been using a Mac Laptop daily, I've never, knock on wood, needed to have one fixed or had to take it back. The batteries used to be kinda crappy with Mac's, but they've been better the last few years.
My G3 Wall street, 1997, is still being used today in a silkscreen shop.
My 17" power book, 2001 lasted until Mac finally obsoleted all of their legacy software and switched to an Intel processor. it still works but the battery life is really short now and after market batteries are wicked expensive.
I've had my current 15" Mac Book Pro for about 2 years now. it's nice.

Jamie Lynch
11-01-2013, 10:34 PM
+1 for apple.
My iBook g4 took was a great laptop for several years. My wife now has a 2010 MacBook Air and I have an iPad, which covers quite a bit of my needs. I buy direct from Apple.
I have a 5 year old Hp EliteBook at work, which has survived several drops, being offshore, dust storms and a cup of coffee. If I were to buy a PC, instead of a Mac, it would probably be an HP EliteBook. Newegg.com seems to be a good place for all things PC.

Myk Rian
11-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Since you were asking for retailer suggestions, not brand....
Staples.....

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2013, 10:41 PM
While our current laptop is a Toshiba given to us by one of our children, I would buy a Dell.

I am working from a Dell desktop....and before my retirement the large corporation who employed me, deployed Dell laptops more often than any other brand. We had others....IBM......Toshiba for short periods of time but eventually we ended up coming back to Dell.

Don Morris
11-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I used to be a Microsoft person but they crashed too often. Gave up and went Mac and their security is better. I have an IMac but my wife has had her laptop Macbook Pro for several years now and loves it. And there's a lot of help at the local Apple store for whatever it is that you can't figure out. The ease of syncing with her Iphone is nice. It's at least a consideration. It's worth taking a trip to the local Apple store to check it out before you go the other route.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2013, 4:01 AM
+1 for Staples - they'd be my first choice. I like their rebate system.

Second choice would be Wally World. They can have some real killer deals on Dell.

Keith Outten
11-02-2013, 7:33 AM
Apple

Although more expensive up front the longevity of their machines provides the best value IMO. Apple has first class tech support as well.

Pat Barry
11-02-2013, 8:45 AM
He asked for retailer, so, assuming you know what you want, then buy it new, from the cheapest source. Include Walmart, BestBuy, Amazon, whoever can get you the best price. Don't pay for a warranty - these machines are disposable.

Larry Browning
11-02-2013, 9:33 AM
He asked for retailer, so, assuming you know what you want, then buy it new, from the cheapest source. Include Walmart, BestBuy, Amazon, whoever can get you the best price. Don't pay for a warranty - these machines are disposable.
+1 for what Pat said. These days computers are more like a commodity for the most part. If you are like most of us, your computing needs are pretty basic, surf the web, check your email, and maybe do some photo editing or even use Sketchup a bit. All these things can be done quite well with the most basic low end computer. Why spend thousands, when a few hundred will do the same job? I bought my last 2 or 3 computers at Walmart or Tigerdirect at rock bottom prices. True they probably do not last as long, so you will need to replace them a little more often. But for me, being sort of a gadget junkie, this is actually a good thing. That way I can justify getting a new computer more often!
Just my 2 cents.

Curt Harms
11-02-2013, 10:01 AM
If you were going to buy a new laptop, Who would be your first choice retailer to buy from?

Dave, if I recall correctly, you're in or near Cincinnati? If so, I'd certainly check here:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/sharonville.aspx

They carry P.C.s and Apple products. The store in the Philly area has 2 or 3 times the laptop inventory of any other retailer I know of.

Myk Rian
11-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes. Micro Center is a great place to do business. I just bought a desktop there.

Brian Elfert
11-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Sam's Club and Costco are great places to buy laptops. They both have a 90 day return policy on electronics and computers if you decide you don't like it. Costco also extends the warranty on computers to 2 years automatically and they have a free tech support line. I'm not sure if Sam's Club extends the warranty or not. The extended warranty alone might be worth the money for a membership at Costco.

Dell directly or at their outlet is also a good retailer to buy from.

Jerome Stanek
11-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I really like Microcenter for computer stuff

Mike Cutler
11-02-2013, 1:27 PM

Uhmmm.... Apple is a retailer, in addition to a brand. Granted they only sell their own products, and supported third party peripherals in their stores, but they are none the less, an actual retail brick and mortar store. Most warranty work and servicing can be performed in the store.
You are correct about buying a warranty. I wouldn't buy one beyond the manufacturers original warranty.

Matt Meiser
11-02-2013, 3:27 PM
So is Dell.

Just about every laptop and desktop I've had needed something over three years including a Thinkpad, 2 different Acers, 2 different HP, and several Dell. The best non-Dell experience was an HP where they sent a replacement hard drive in 2 weeks. Dell replaced my wife's in less than 48 hours. Usually it's s hard drive but one there have been a couple keyboards and motherboards in there too. A friends Toshiba (I think) was out for something like three weeks.

I'll disagree on warranties. Might not come out ahead in the long run but at least it's a planned expense. But that's a decision for each buyer.

Dave Lehnert
11-02-2013, 4:29 PM
Thanks everyone.
I am just starting my search. I don't keep up on electronics so was just trying to narrow my search by who is the best to buy from. Dell was never on my list because I thought nobody liked them any longer. Guess I need to rethink that.
FYI- I have never owned a computer other than a Gateway. Very good luck with them. I average a new computer about every 7 years. Looking at others now because I know Gateway is just a name now.
Only looking for new now because the keyboard on this laptop is getting hard to use. The keys on the left side work but have to press harder than you should.
Is it difficult to take a laptop apart and clean behind the keyboard?

Matt Meiser
11-02-2013, 4:40 PM
Taking them apart is a major pain. Lots of tiny, hard to see, hard to hold, easily broken parts. But they can be cheap and easy to replace--depends entirely on the model. Google the model and Keyboard replacement. Bet there's a YouTube video. I got the acer keyboard at Amazon for about $24 with Saturday Prime delivery so it was about $16. Probably tons on eBay too.

Brian Elfert
11-02-2013, 5:48 PM
Cleaning is unlikely to fix a keyboard. As Matt said they are fairly inexpensive to replace for a lot of models. One issue might be finding a keyboard for a 7 year old laptop.

Acer bought Gateway back in 2007. Gateway computers are all made by Acer now.

Dave Lehnert
11-02-2013, 7:19 PM
Acer bought Gateway back in 2007. Gateway computers are all made by Acer now.

Is that good or bad?

Paul McGaha
11-02-2013, 7:24 PM
We've had good luck buying Dell computers from Costco.

PHM

Matt Meiser
11-02-2013, 7:40 PM
Is that good or bad?

Compared to the Gateway of old an Acer branded machine is not as good. I'd buy again if cheap was my primary concern IF Dell didn't have anything in the outlet cheap enough. Had to replace the keyboard on one as I mentioned above and had the Ethernet port on a netbook quit. Keyboard was way out of warranty. Ethernet port not but was going to be a big hassle so I bought a USB one for the times I needed it. Mom has another netbook that's been OK.

Jim Becker
11-02-2013, 8:47 PM
If Windows, direct from Dell.

But I'm an Apple convert through and through at this point. A little more money, but they just work. And yes, I tend to buy direct from them because I have an employer discount, but B&H Photo has excellent prices on Apple computers for those who don't and they also don't collect sales tax directly unless you are in NY.

Pat Barry
11-02-2013, 8:47 PM
Uhmmm.... Apple is a retailer, in addition to a brand. Granted they only sell their own products, and supported third party peripherals in their stores, but they are none the less, an actual retail brick and mortar store. Most warranty work and servicing can be performed in the store.
You are correct about buying a warranty. I wouldn't buy one beyond the manufacturers original warranty.
I've never bought an Apple computer and I probably never will. The main issue I have is that I don't like the proprietary nature of their machines. I like the open nature of the Windows units.

Jim Becker
11-02-2013, 8:58 PM
I've never bought an Apple computer and I probably never will. The main issue I have is that I don't like the proprietary nature of their machines. I like the open nature of the Windows units.

I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary nature...not really applying to current generations for the most part. All the ports are standard. Machines that still have traditional hard drives use the same units that are used in Windows-based computers, etc. They use the same Intel processors as most Windows machines use and even run Windows, either natively under "bootcamp" or in a virtual machine under Parallels, VMWare or Virtual Box for folks who need to use a Windows application that isn't available for MacOS or costly to replace. I do use a non-Apple wireless rodent with my BYOD work Mac as the Apple Magic Mouse is too sensitive for a few Windows applications I run (under Win7 in a virtual machine), but otherwise, I've been very satisfied. Any issues I've had to-date have been with Windows, not MacOS.

Myk Rian
11-02-2013, 9:42 PM
Is it difficult to take a laptop apart and clean behind the keyboard?
No. The instructions are on-line. I've taken our HP laptop apart twice. Once to replace a screen hinge, the other to fix something I don't remember what. Just remember where the shorter case screws go.
Keyboards can be replaced, or cleaned. Look on the Bay for them.

Mike Cutler
11-03-2013, 6:34 AM

Pat

Up until a few years ago that was a very valid argument, and depending on the desktop unit, it still can be today. Their laptops are a little different story, primarily because they are "self contained", and the unit is more or less stand alone.
The proprietary Motorola chipset was phased out about 5 years ago and now the backbone architecture is essentially the same chipset as Used in a Windows machine. It's even made by Intel. This makes purchasing third party peripherals much easier, cheaper, and less "Klugey" to do. it used to be a challenge with their legacy machines, and it could get wicked expensive, and still not work. Buying additional Ram for an Apple used to be a literal roll of the dice.
Gone also are the ADC, DIVX, and dual DIVX ports that were non standard. For a while Apple was about 3-5 years behind the Windows machines with respects to video,and display, because they stubbornly insisted on keeping these proprietary port configurations, which made buying compatible video cards sometimes very difficult, depending on the application. If a person were to be looking at a desktop Mac, this is still something to be very aware of.

In my first post I referenced a Wallstreet laptop still in use today. It's still in use for the above reasons. The third party hardware and software adapters used in their shop, which were prohibitively expensive, for the silkscreening design and sewing machines, were based on the Apple G4 running OS 8.5 ,and weren't compatible with even the newer generation G4's at the time. It was either replace all the hardware, or find an old machine capable of natively running OS 9 and below.

Mac's are no silver bullet though. Often times a person trades one set of problems for a different set of problems when going from a Windows based machine to a Mac. Their discussion forums are evidence of that. ;)

Pat Barry
11-03-2013, 8:30 AM
Mike, Jim,
Interesting information about the Apple machines that did not keep up to date on, Thank you. All good stuff. Now where do I buy the Apple look-a-like so I can get a competitive price.? What name brand should I be looking for because I can't find one.

Mike Cutler
11-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Mike, Jim,
Interesting information about the Apple machines that did not keep up to date on, Thank you. All good stuff. Now where do I buy the Apple look-a-like so I can get a competitive price.? What name brand should I be looking for because I can't find one.

Do an internet search for a "Hack n Mac". Turn a windows machine into a Mac.
No clones for Mac's though. ;)

Jim Becker
11-09-2013, 8:29 PM
Mike, Jim,

Honestly, I'm actually ok with Apple's philosophy of not supporting "clones". While I'd never say that Apple products are totally "problem free", they are remarkably consistent; something that cannot be said for both the Windows-based computer market and the Android-based portables market. To date, the only issue I've had with either of my Apple computers (2011 iMac 27" and 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 13") has been with...Windows glitches...when running that OS to support some software that's not possible or practical to run on MacOS. I actually resisted the move for several years, despite my innate curiosity about Macs...and having made my living selling Windows machines for a number of years. At this point, I know I made the right decision to change my path!

rogers kevin
11-18-2013, 8:20 AM
I would opt for most probably for Dell inspiron as i have been using it its great updatable and have really good features and support system.

Greg Portland
11-19-2013, 1:28 PM
Mike, Jim,
Samsung and Acer make high end ultrabooks and laptops that are competitive with Apple in all aspects (looks, build quality, components, etc.) except battery life. Apple controls the entire SW/HW stack which is a huge advantage when optimizing the system for power. Microsoft tried to address this with Windows RT but that has (thus far) not been successful.

Personally, I've been looking at the Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus that has a 3200x1800 display (I prefer it over Apple's Retina option). One thing with Windows 8 options is that the screen is likely to be a touch screen which will be glossy. This could be an issue depending on how you use it. Go to Best Buy and kick the tires to see for yourself...

Greg Portland
11-19-2013, 1:30 PM
Dell had a huge dip in quality with their general use laptops (even their rep at Best Buy admitted this to me) and has been trying to get back into the market. The current crop of laptops look promising but time will tell.

Bryan Slimp
11-19-2013, 2:20 PM
What do you do with your laptop? Surf the net? Pay some bills? Play games? Make movies? Edit pictures?

Chromebooks are pretty nice if you're like 95% of the public. You can get online, edit documents, etc.

Some people think Google gets too much access to your stuff with them, but there aren't any real secrets online anyway.

Don Morris
11-19-2013, 4:16 PM
My story is almost the same as Jim Becker and my comments are about the same:resisted for a while, but glad we made the move. My difference was we bought a 17" laptop because with our advancing age we thought we needed BIG for our eyes. We might go down one size in the future as the 17" MacBook pro is really big, but Mama likes to see everything. I've got the 21.5" iMac. But noway do I want to go back to re-loading everything like I did in Windows every few years because of a crash. My neighbor is a Webmaster and he likes Mac for it's security aspect. Hackers just don't get through the Mac structure like they do Windows. I am able to go to an Apple store if I really had a problem and get an Apple "genius" to help me. If you're out in the boonies, that's not an easy option, but they do have Apple Care (on-line help) which we've used a couple times. Everything Apple seems to be well thought out and sync's nicely with most other accessories. The lap top LOML has uses flash memory and is super fast. Just finished a book on Steve Jobs, he was a Genius, but weird.

Larry Edgerton
11-19-2013, 5:42 PM
I bought a HP earlier this year and it crashed so bad it could not be salvaged and nothing could be recovered. They gave me a new one, and two weeks later that one did the same thing.

I went to see the guy that builds the computers at my wifes work place and he said to buy a Dell at this time. I did and have not had any issues since, knock on wood.

Larry

Gary R Katz
11-19-2013, 9:48 PM
I bought a Lenovo about a month ago and shopped around online pretty hard. Amazingly, Best Buy beat everyone by almost $100. Now if I can only get used to all the new changes and overcome all the compatibility problems.