PDA

View Full Version : Photos Routed in Wood

Keith Outten
06-04-2005, 1:48 PM
I found the picture below posted on the ShopBot Forum and thought it might be of interest here at SMC. ShopBot Tools has released a new version of their CNC Routing software that is capable of taking bitmaps and processing them for the Router. The wooden doors below were routed by a ShopBotter from pictures of his two grand daughters. This is his first effort routing pictures which I think is really nice work.

Apparently the doors were built, stained and a finish coat applied. They were then routed which removed the stain and topcoat, then a clear finish was applied

You have to wonder where woodworking will be in the next five to ten years :)

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2005, 1:51 PM
That is so sweet! Thanks for posting! Very very cool!

Corey

Bob Noles
06-04-2005, 2:09 PM
Keith,

Those are absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing.

nic obie
06-04-2005, 2:30 PM
Very interesting!

I smell a money making opportunity. I imagine that this could be done on an existing cabinet door too. I can see people paying $200+ a door to have this done. It would be easy to market also. Just a mater of dropping off a sample at all the cabinet shops in your area.

However, unless you already own the tool, it's a big initial investment.

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2005, 3:03 PM
Yeah, they will be set up in the center of the mall at Christmas time routing your kids pics into tables, doors etc. just like the do now with calendars, shirts etc. :)

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
06-04-2005, 3:29 PM
Cool doors...I'll bet ShopBots are fun...

Bill Lewis
06-04-2005, 3:32 PM
So Keith, when are we gonna see pictures of your daughters routed in wood? I bet we end up seeing a picture of Aaron instead:D

Keith Outten
06-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Bill,

It might not be a very long wait before I can muster up a nice set of wooden plaques to try my hand at routing my daughters photos. It seems to be a fun project and probably isn't too difficult.

Kelly,

ShopBots are definately fun machines but the learning curve is tough when your not a youngster :) You should see my 83 year old Dad watching the Router run, he is amazed at how fast and accurate the ShopBot is and can't take his eyes off the machine.

If anyone has the ShopBot itch they are having a big sale. It seems a lot of people are trading their old stepper motors in for the Alpha upgrade and ShopBot is building machines from the old motors and selling them at a big discount. Everything on the machines is new except the motors and the 4' by 8' model is under six grand. The benchtop is under 5 grand and will sit on a sturdy table. Ya'll pick up the phone and order a ShopBot, mine paid for itself on the first job and I know you guys can do better then me.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-04-2005, 10:35 PM
I'll bet...with me closing in on 50 it might be a tough few days of learning. Actually the hardest thing to do would be to write the check....:D:D:D Maybe someday.

Nick Mitchell
06-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Does anybody else think this is something that you'd see at an amusement park, right next to the cotton candy and the 'your picture on a button' stand? imo this is about as tasteful as garden gnomes.
Having said that, I do think the technology is cool :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
06-04-2005, 11:20 PM
After having seen one in action at the WW show once, I'd have to say no to that question. It's amazing what they can do with wood from an image.

Tom Sontag
06-05-2005, 2:41 AM
Yeah Nick, me too. Just because something CAN be done does not make it something that ought to be done. But, everyone's taste is different and I appreciate Keith showing us what is possible.

Still, after many minutes of thought, I cannot see when I would ever want to use the idea....

Kelly C. Hanna
06-05-2005, 8:08 AM
I find myself surprised at the negative reactions to this post. But, to each his own....I don't like cars built after a certain year so I guess it's normal in just about every area of life...even woodworking.

Keith Outten
06-05-2005, 8:10 AM
For the more practical minded this same technique could be used to route a photo of an old plantation or business photo, using 3" foamboard then sprayed with brown coat. A 4' by 8' signboard would be worth about three thousand dollars.

If your a grandparent routing pictures of your grandchildren may be priceless :)

The point is that being able to use digital photos opens up a whole new area of opportunity and all that is required is a little vision. Even small shop projects like boxes and bowls would be candidates for adding fancy artwork or custom designs. Chairbacks also come to mind, I think everyone has seen them carved.

Any direction you point your camera will provide new artwork, clouds, sand on the beach or any other pattern that could easilly be used for carving, engraving or pattern routing.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-05-2005, 8:49 AM
I agree Keith...I can see a ton of applications for this technology.

Rod Williamson
06-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Keith:

Would the Shopbots on sale with the older stepper motors be able to produce a photograph on wood like the ones you posted? I was wondering if this precision was possible with the older Shopbot models.

Keith Outten
06-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Rod,

I expect the stepper motors would route photos and be able to do just about anything the newer Alpha Motors can. The biggest difference is speed, the newer motors are more accurate and many times faster. I haven't found speed to be an issue in my shop, for the most part I have been running my machine very slow to improve the quality of cut. I know that some cabinet makers and the furniture industry are big fans of the new speeds available from the new ShopBot PRT Alphas.

The good news is that if you decide to upgrade in the future you can order a kit to bring your machine up to the current Alpha standard.

Here is a link to the Special Pricing page at ShopBot.

http://www.shopbottools.com/prtspecial.htm

Nick Mitchell
06-05-2005, 4:38 PM
Keith, what's the main difference between a Shopbot and a, lets say CNT Motion CNC router? Obviously besides the $40k price difference.

thanks

Keith Outten
06-05-2005, 6:58 PM
Nick,

I can't say I know what the difference is, I have never seen a CNT Router or ever looked at a machine that expensive. The ShopBots are attractive to small shops because of their specifications and price, one of the only affordable CNC machines that I know exists.

Nick Mitchell
06-05-2005, 8:28 PM
Fair enough Keith. I just used CNT as an example. I could have used Komo at $500k LOL

The shopbot is an interesting machine, I'm going to look into it some more.
thanks for your time

Dale Thompson
06-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Keith,
Do you think that this is woodworking or manipulating a computer program? :confused: Personally, I'm inept at both but I would rather make my mistakes on the lathe, scroll saw, table saw, etc. than on my computer. :(

Besides, with the perfect computer program, how will I make scrap for my fireplace during the long Wisconsin winters? ;) You obviously want me to freeze to death starting next August! :D

If I could, would I make pictures of my grandkids using the computer system? I would say that I would probably not. :(

I want them to someday view me as a pterodactyl of tools as opposed to a rocket of resinous resources. ;)

Exception: I will change my mind if they ever invent a computer that makes as many mistakes as I do! :cool:

No offense! Just a thought from an old dinosaur! :D :eek: :)

Dale T.

Bill Lewis
06-06-2005, 6:06 AM
Just a thought on the CNT routers vs. the Shopbot. The difference in price could be a 3 axis machine (Shopbot) vs a 5 axis machine ($40k machine). That, or really great marketing.

Keith Outten
06-06-2005, 6:57 AM
Don't Worry Dale,

A CNC Router will definately make scrap! You can make mistakes just as easy as with any other woodworking machine and since the Router never gets tired it can fill your scrap bin as fast as any machine I have ever seen :)

I think we had this same discussion about Laser Engravers and my reponse is the same concerning CNC machines, they are just another woodworking tool. The creative process is still the same, the computer just adds another layer to work with...a new interface if you will. Instead of pen and paper you use software to design and send your commands to the router. They are still your commands, the router will just sit there untill you tell it what you want it to do the same as your existing router will sit on your workbench untill you pick it up. You can design and build routing patterns or use a CNC machine to do the same task using an electronic pattern.

The purists who make dovetail joints with a saw have argued in the past that routing dovetail joints with a jig isn't woodworking.

Nick,

Take a close look at ShopBot, they produce a very high quality machine that is affordable. Seriously you can pay for the machine faster than any other tool in your workshop even if you are a hobby woodworker. I have contacted ShopBot and they have agreed to send a representative to our next SwapMeet to run my machine and demonstrate all of its capabilities including 3D carving.

For the record my goal is to be able to provide a source of income in ten years when I retire. I doubt that my Social Security will even pay my real estate taxes at the rate they are climbing.

Dale Thompson
06-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Don't Worry Dale,

A CNC Router will definately make scrap! You can make mistakes just as easy as with any other woodworking machine and since the Router never gets tired it can fill your scrap bin as fast as any machine I have ever seen :)

Keith,
--the pictures are INCREDIBLE!! Sorry for the oversight! :) :D

Realistically, though, you have to consider folks like me when you use all those plug-in and battery-powered tools. With regard to tool expertise, I bought a set of Craftsman screwdrivers back in 1967. I'm still trying to hang them in the proper ascending - or is it descending - order. I'm a true woodworker, though, because I refuse to give up! ;) I think that that is why woodworking will be around FOREVER - regardless of our skill level. :cool: :D :)

Dale T.