PDA

View Full Version : Cherry faced MDF

Bill Tucker2
11-01-2013, 6:09 PM
Hope this is the right place to ask this question. Is there a market for 3/4 inch MDF with cherry on both sides? If so, what would 4 X 8 sheets be worth?
Thanks,
bill

Frank Drew
11-01-2013, 6:32 PM
Bill,

I know 3/4" ply is available in cherry, and I'm pretty certain the same is true for fiber core. I have no idea about pricing, but a quick call to your nearest sheet goods dealer will give you all the information you need.

Matt Meiser
11-01-2013, 7:11 PM
I wouldn't use 3/4 (too heavy and subject to water damage for a carcase) but I've used a lot of 1/4 for door panels.

Mel Fulks
11-01-2013, 7:19 PM
It is available ,can't remember cost ,but it is expensive . Veneer on it is extremely thin ,sometimes old stock has a little damage but strangely nobody takes responsibility for damage. Sometimes it comes it damaged and has to be sent back.

Peter Quinn
11-01-2013, 8:22 PM
The last time I saw AA veneer core cherry it was around $160-$180, A-1 cherry veneer core or combo core is around $120 at my local yard presently. I can't imagine paying more for the pleasure of having a pure MDF substrate, so I'd figure that the value would be in the same range as veneer core, maybe a bit less on a materials basis. I can't think of many times I use MDF and need the same veneer on both faces, but there may be some market for that in the "Pretty but cabinetry market. Its really stable…and thats a big help when your cabinets start sagging under their own weight!

Rich Enders
11-01-2013, 9:18 PM
Bill,

Here locally Cherry and Walnut 3/4 inch veneer or combo core seconds are $40 per sheet. They are veneered on both sides with face grain on the best side and a lesser straight grain on the reverse.

This is from Superior Hardwoods. They are a big plywood dealer locally and these seconds have some blemishes or ripples in the veneer. I made two purchases of 6 sheets and 8 sheets for cabinet construction and lost about a half to 3/4 of a sheet because of the issues.

You don't show where you are from, but this sort of stock has to be available in most metropolitan areas.

Jeff Duncan
11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes you can find 3/4" Cherry veneer on an mdf substrate fairly easily. I'm not sure why the answers here are so all over the place since the OP didn't mention what he was using it for? FWIW veneered mdf is a standard material used in just about every large millwork shop in the country on a daily basis....so certainly not rare in any way.

I haven't bough cherry recently but for comparisons sake, I bought 5 sheets of walnut recently. I also bought them sequenced as it was important to have the grain matching for this particular job. So sequenced walnut veneer on 3/4" mdf core ran me about $105 a sheet. And for what I'm using the material for there are no issues of weight, or water, or structural integrity, or thin veneer, or anything else I can think of for that matter. Well....Ok, maybe the weight is an issue......I'm not getting any younger after all:o

good luck,
JeffD

Yonak Hawkins
11-03-2013, 2:57 PM
From the phrasing of your question, Bill, it sounds to me like you have some to sell and you're wanting to find out if there is a market for it and how much to charge.

Regarding the market : The best ways to find out are by posting it on, say, Craig's List or contacting some local cabinet shops and ask if they are interested in buying what you have and how much would they pay for it ?

Regarding price : I couldn't find any MDF core, double-faced cherry but, in order to figure a retail price in your area, I did ascertain from a single site I found that the price of single-sided cherry plywood is about 142% of oak plywood and 83% of the price of walnut plywood. Also, I figured that the price of MDF core is roughly 92% of the price of plywood. Maybe you could calculate an asking price in your area for your after-market cherry sheets from these assumptions. I wouldn't think there would much, if any, upcharge for two-sided versus single-sided. Pricing is, of course, also dependent on condition.

Mel Fulks
11-03-2013, 5:59 PM
Like one or two others here I got the impression op might already have access to a bargain and wondering if he could sell it . That's why I stressed the damage issue ,it's not like you can just sand it out.