PDA

View Full Version : Frustration...

Harold Burrell
11-01-2013, 4:34 PM
I am STILL working on my roubo. The mortises for the legs are driving me INSANE! I have to constantly walk away from it to keep me from turning the whole thing into firewood.

I (basically) know how to do this...and I also know that there is very little anyone here can do to help...but, sometimes, it just feels good to vent.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go stick my head into a pile of sawdust and scream. :eek:

Brian Kent
11-01-2013, 4:51 PM
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!

does that help any?

Judson Green
11-01-2013, 4:51 PM
Sorry to hear it. Beer helps but best to put down the sharp things first.

Chris Griggs
11-01-2013, 5:03 PM
Pretty much every project I have done, be it small and simple or larger and complicated, I have had at least one momenet (really more than that) where I seriously contemplate picking up the project and smashing it into the wall or just beating it to pieces with a hammer.

I once met Mario Rodriquez of the Philly Furniture Workshop (and author of a number of FWW article) at a woodworking show, and he told me that he has on more than one occasion broken apart completed pieces he wasn't happy with and thrown them in garbage. I thought that was a bit extreme but it made me feel better to know that someone with his skill suffers with the same frustrations as the rest of us.

Ryan Mooney
11-01-2013, 6:22 PM
he told me that he has on more than one occasion broken apart completed pieces he wasn't happy with and thrown them in garbage.

I like to keep them around for a while so I can mull over all the other non obvious problems they have before doing that.

Michael Peet
11-01-2013, 6:51 PM
Bummer dude. Deep breath. Remember we do this for fun, most of us anyway. Sometimes you just have to walk away for awhile.

Phil Thien
11-01-2013, 6:51 PM
I like to keep them around for a while so I can mull over all the other non obvious problems they have before doing that.

Personally, I burn them.

Jim Koepke
11-01-2013, 7:30 PM
Join the club Harold.

Today was supposed to be chopping out mortises. It was lucky my mistakes in marking were caught before mallet struck chisel.

Then came the knot in one of the mortises... At least one tenon will be shortened.

jtk

Lloyd Robins
11-01-2013, 7:54 PM
Isn't is interesting what we do to ourselves....crossword puzzles, games of all sorts, rooting for the Browns, etc. (sorry Browns' fans), and woodworking. I guess that deep down we just enjoy being challenged, but it can be frustrating. I read somewhere that all to often we remember the mistakes instead of looking at the beauty of the creation. I am certain that when your bench is finished it will be wonderful, but remember to look at the bench not just the mortises. Also, remember your end goal (you are to use a quote "draining the swamp" not just that you "are up to your backside in aligators", if that makes sense.) :D

Chris Griggs
11-01-2013, 8:23 PM
If it makes you feel any better I'm terrible at chopping mortises. Also, while I'm very good at sawing to a line I can't saw plumb to save my life. Sometimes, I get good at those things only to go a few months without doing them to any great extent and then I suck again the next time I do them... and then its HULK SMASH!!!!

Harold Burrell
11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
If it makes you feel any better I'm terrible at chopping mortises. Also, while I'm very good at sawing to a line I can't saw plumb to save my life. Sometimes, I get good at those things only to go a few months without doing them to any great extent and then I suck again the next time I do them... and then its HULK SMASH!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrCvjg6nsI

Adam Cruea
11-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Stick it out, dude. Take a deep breath, get a brew (or bourbon), and wait a little while to go back at it.

There were so many times I wanted to just scrap my hickory bench that it wasn't funny, but then I realized I'd just be back in the same boat with the next build, so I just forged ahead. Obviously it turned out okay because I occasionally get compliments on it.

One thing I've started to try doing is to "not care" about the stuff I make. If I scrutinized my own work, I'm pretty sure my wife would have shot me by now a few times over. Just realize that woodworking is like everything else; you have your good days, your mediocre days, and your bad days. Even people like Mr. Wilson have bad days (or so I've heard). :)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-01-2013, 11:17 PM
I find a a bench is one of those tough ones for this sort of thing - there's a part of you that says it's a just a tool, and wants to let those mistakes slide where you wouldn't in a piece of fine work, but you also know you're going to have to look at it every time you work on it. Everyone else has pretty good advice here, but is sounds like you've got the right idea to begin with.

If you were local, I'd buy you a brew, you've earned it!

Any specific aggravations with the mortises that folks can offer guidance on, or just the fact that they're honking and huge? Are these through mortises? Remember the top is probably heavy enough that not all of these need to be super tight or perfect, (I haven't had the top on my bench lift off just yet, and it's not even glued or pinned!) just think about which direction the force on the bench will be applied, and that drawbore pegs can fix a lot, and wedges, besides adding a bit of strength, can help close up visible gaps on through mortises.

Winton Applegate
11-02-2013, 2:12 AM
There is no question that you KNOW how to do the joints.
But
if you ask me
I think your subconscious is saying . . .
it wants a Klausz
http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/a-classic-bench.aspx

:p:)

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2013, 8:35 AM
The best experience of a bench is making the top absolutely flawless and burnishing in the finish, then noticing some nice dents after the first time you toss a block of wood onto it.

it's like the first door ding in your new car.

I certainly feel your pain after chopping out the tusk tenons, and large dovetails for my workbench.