PDA

View Full Version : Electric Solenoid Valve

Mr Mike Mills
11-01-2013, 12:16 PM
I have air assist that hooks up to my VLS 6.60 laser. It is used in an educational setting and often times the students will not remember to turn the air assist on. I am wondering if anyone has experience with using Electric Solenoid Valve and hooking it up through a port on the computer so that the laser/computer interface will tell the valve to open.

Here is a link to what I was thinking
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Solenoid-12-VDC-Normally-Closed/dp/B007N0GRIE

Kenneth Hertzog
11-01-2013, 1:34 PM
Mike
I have a solenoid valve on my air system.
it is tied into the same circuit that I use to start my exhaust fan
when the fan runs so does the air system
if I don't want it I can shut a valve but most times I don't bother.
Ken

Dan Hintz
11-01-2013, 1:55 PM
An option for the ULS systems is an auto-air setup... for your location/users, I'd order it. Check the box to turn it on, and tell the students that they fail the class if they ever unclick the box ;)

Mike Troncalli
11-01-2013, 1:58 PM
While My approach may be a bit low tech, it works for me. I purchased a heavy duty power strip with individual switches per plug. I have my water pump, air assist and exhaust fan on the strip. Each switch lights up when turned on. I know to start with switch 1 (water pump) then go down the line. I always know not to begin any job unless all 3 lights are on.

Mr Mike Mills
11-01-2013, 3:08 PM
An option for the ULS systems is an auto-air setup... for your location/users, I'd order it. Check the box to turn it on, and tell the students that they fail the class if they ever unclick the box ;)

I do not see auto-air setup. But there is an detect air pressure option. But that would only remind them to turn the system on. It does nothing to turn the air off.

Mr Mike Mills
11-01-2013, 3:13 PM
I Like that Idea, but I will have to do some checking into that or If I can possibly do that with our Fan We are running 220v Fan

Tony Lenkic
11-01-2013, 5:57 PM
In job control where you set material power/speed/PPI/DPI etc. there should be an option to have air assist on or off.
Since machine is already equipped wit air assist there is a solenoid controlled with software to give you what you're looking for.

Dan Hintz
11-01-2013, 7:17 PM
In job control where you set material power/speed/PPI/DPI etc. there should be an option to have air assist on or off.
Since machine is already equipped wit air assist there is a solenoid controlled with software to give you what you're looking for.

If they got the auto air assist option, yes... I had standard air assist, so I had to turn the air on/off myself. It's the auto option he wants.

Mr Mike Mills
11-03-2013, 9:40 PM
Okay I Found a valve with a 220 volt solenoid. I ordered this little unit to hook up to the same switch as my fan.

Valve seem reasonable price and also has pigtails coming out for easy wiring.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ASCO-Solenoid-Valve-4EKU5?cm_mmc=EMT-_-ShipConfirm-_-GcomShipConfirm-_-sku&cm_em=mike.mills@k12.sd.us&RIID=107501488

My Vent system- I picked up is 220volt from Penn state ind. I did relocate the on/off switch. The switch is attached to the side of my laser and the fan sits on the back side. Just had to pick up some 14-2 with ground wire. It was a simple fix. So I did not have to reach down behind the laser to turn the blower on

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html

I think if I just add a wire to this new switch I will be good to go. I will try and report when it is all done.

Jerome Stanek
11-04-2013, 6:25 AM
I have a solenoid hooked up to my lights in the shop. That way when I go out and turn on the lights I have air and when I leave it shuts it off at the compressor. You could do that on your laser also.