PDA

View Full Version : Need a Delta Planer (22-650) Part

James Melby
11-01-2013, 7:19 AM
I recently acquired a venerable old Delta 22-650 planer. It one of the last models in this line (1988). It's the Invicta Brazilian made planer that was also made under the Rockwell name prior to Delta. Here's a link to the Rockwell model's manual (title page of the manual says "delta", but all the pictures depict the "Rockwell" model):

http://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Planer-Owners-manuals/22-650.pdf

My problem is that it's missing one of the knurled nobs that lock down the cutter head. There's supposed to be two of them, one on front-right to lock down the front posts, and one on the rear-left to lock down the rear posts. These knobs a visible in fig 16 & 17 of the manual. They look black in the pictures, but the one I have is more of a zinc-silver color. The one in the rear is missing. It is clearly depicted in the pictures in the manual (fig 16 between the A & B lines), but is not depicted in the various exploded views from the various internet-based parts vendors.

The planer is functional without the lock-downs, but does not plane perfectly level. With the front posts locked down, and while feeding a piece of oak for a 1/16" cut, you can feel the cutter float up and down with the contours of the board when you put a finger against a rear post next to the cut head. It really needs this part to be fully functional.

I really hope someone can help me out with a part number, or better yet, take one off their machine and send it to me :-)

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Michael Dunn
11-01-2013, 7:36 AM
I'm on my iPhone so I couldn't analyze this parts diagram to see if your part is in there. Try this. Let me know if you find it. I've repaired many machine using parts from this website.

www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-22650-type-planer-parts-c-3275_3571_13776.html

James Melby
11-01-2013, 8:52 AM
One of the first places I checked. A great "go to" resource.

on first glance, when I went to the site, I couldn't really make out the part in the diagram very well. The PDF for the cutter head is pretty faded, and all the various sites seem to be using the same picture. On a lark, after reading your response, I started looking at the descriptions of the individual parts, hoping one of them would be described as "knurled knob cutter head lock-down bolt". No such luck. Lots of parts described as "pin, bolt, nut, washer, screw, etc..." So I looked at the one part listed as "knob", and dangled if it isn't a dead ringer for the one I have. I found the reference number in the diagram, and though it is not well defined, it looks to be about in the proper place to be the right part.

the part number is 428061380001 (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/knob-p-87570.html), but DANG! It's $43.91. So. Maybe I'll just have to learn to love the near-non-existent waves in the boards.

So that brings up the next question. This is the kind of part that's not going to get worn out. Just lost or misplaced. Is there a source for used woodworking tool parts? A graveyard where they strip old tools down and part them out? I could surely make do with such a part.

Phil Thien
11-01-2013, 9:49 AM
You can try watching eBay, and also asking over at the owwm.org forum. You may also be able to improvise your own pin. Looking at the picks it just looks like an aluminum dowel pin. Go to McMaster.com and type in "headed precision pins" into the search and see if anything there would work.

David Kumm
11-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Someone at www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org) should be able to give you a picture and details. RC33 are pretty common. The part is different than on the later DC33 model. Having one made won't be tough if you can find a prototype or look at McMaster Carr as Phil said, or places like www.fixtureworks.com (http://www.fixtureworks.com) that sell all kinds of knobs, levers and handles. Dave

Edit: Is it just a bolt with a knob that you turn and it pushes against something to lock the tube? That is how the Dc is made.

Thomas Hotchkin
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
James
I have the same planer. The locking knobs are not the same part number, left knob item # 156 part # 428-06-138-0001. Do you have all the other parts that go with this assemble? Used in the rear column lock. items 150 and 151? Tom PS part numbers came from my delta's parts list dated 12-1-84 should you need a copy I can send you one Tom

James I went and checks both of my column locking knobs, the left hand one is 3/8" shorter then the right side one. Left hand lock should be 3 1/2" long over all. Should not be too hard to make something that with work for you, cross shaft thread is metric only bolt that I had on hand that fit knob was stamped 8.8 on the head. Tom

James Melby
11-01-2013, 2:42 PM
The picture that I linked above doesn't precisely depict the part I need. The model I have (22-650 Delta) actually has two of these. One that locks the front two posts, and one that locks the rear two post - both via a threaded rod (around 5/8" diameter) that runs the width of the cutter head. The part that I am missing (1 of 2) is a threaded tube with a knob, but unlike what is I depicted in the picture, my part is threaded thru the end (imagine a pipe with the inside diameter thread).

David mentioned this part is different on the RC-33 and DC-33 models (Rockwell vs Delta?). Perhaps that's difference between my part and the one pictured.

I think ill just take the one I have to my pal the machinist and have him bore and tap a chunk of steel. The fellow makes everything from custom rifle barrels to pig troughs cut from old boilers... Should be able to handle this. And for less than $40, I'll wager.