PDA

View Full Version : Worth It? Option on 17 - 8' - 4 - Bulb Fixtures

Brent Ring
10-31-2013, 4:38 PM
I have an option on qty 17, 8' fluorescent fixtures. They are 4 bulb fixtures. They are using M4-RN-T8-1LL-120 ballasts. I am not a lighting expert and I dont know how many of them are working or not. It is a surplus auction. I do need some more lighting in my hobby shop and was wondering if this is worth the effort. My guess is that I will have to test each one, and move items around to make them work. Any thoughts on whether its worth the effort or not?

Steve Milito
10-31-2013, 5:26 PM
How much are you paying for them?

Chris Damm
11-01-2013, 8:18 AM
Can you still buy bulbs? I would check before committing to any purchase of old fixtures.

Brent Ring
11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
It looks like they use 4- 4' bulbs - I was not sure if someone knew what the bulb requirement for those ballasts is. the Auction for the entire lot is currently at $3.00. I am sure it will go up, but I have a hard limit of $2.00 per fixture, so I am not spending more that $34.00

Buck Williams
11-01-2013, 7:21 PM
I Googled the ballast part number, the lamps that the ballast is compatible with are 4' - 32 watt T8 lamps, definitely still available. In an 8' fixture there are 4 - 4' lamps, 2 per side. The strips are far from obsolete technology, tons of them still being installed today. Good luck at the auction

Mike Gresham
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
It looks like they use 4- 4' bulbs - I was not sure if someone knew what the bulb requirement for those ballasts is. the Auction for the entire lot is currently at $3.00. I am sure it will go up, but I have a hard limit of $2.00 per fixture, so I am not spending more that $34.00

Well, your $34 would buy you one Lithonia Lighting fixture and 1 1/2 bulbs.

Unless the fixtures are physically damaged, that would be a gloat worthy price. The ballast is the only thing that wears out (except the bulbs, of course). Good ballasts can be had for $10-12 online. I got tired of the flickering lights and humming ballast last year and replaced all the mag ballasts with electronic ballasts and T-8 bulbs. No flicker, no hum and they work in the cold.