PDA

View Full Version : You know you are getting old when

dennis thompson
10-31-2013, 10:39 AM
I just bought new tires for my Honda Odyssey, they cost $704, i have bought many cars for less than that! I know, I know........I'm getting old......as my kids say"please stop talking about I remember when"

Harold Burrell
10-31-2013, 11:38 AM
ummm...I still buy cars for less than that.

David Weaver
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
You really have to start worrying about it if you have bought new cars for less than that.

The tires, sliding door latches and the transmission are the three things that have prevented me from getting an Odyssey.

Mike Null
10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
I think you may have made a mistake. I'm hoping to get my second. It's a great car.

I did buy two tires last year at about 65000 mi. I think I paid about $140 each. There aren't a lot of choices in that size.

I don't have power latches if that's what you're referring to and my transmission has been ok. There was a recall a year or two back.

Mark Bolton
10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
704 really isnt bad in todays tire world. Gosh I see some of these new cars with tires that are 200 a piece, plus mounting and balancing. Ive heard several times of people being up close to a grand for a set of tires. Its mind blowing. One of the reasons I have no desire to have a new vehicle. Car payments, insurance, and upkeep are just brutal nowadays.

Jim Matthews
10-31-2013, 4:48 PM
You really have to start worrying about it if you have bought new cars for less than that.

The tires, sliding door latches and the transmission are the three things that have prevented me from getting an Odyssey.

I'm on my second Ody, with no failures in any of the above - in either car.
1999 sold at 157,000 miles - didn't leak a drop of oil, couldn't get out of it's own way.
2003 with 95,000 miles - 1800 mile round trip in August, 28 mpg HWY at 70 mph with the AC cranked.

If you change the transmission fluid at 75,000 miles and don't tow anything, they're excellent.

FYI - Any people hauler will fail if kids throw enough Cheerios in the moving parts.
I believe dog hair will do in my latest, when it chokes the cabin filter.

Jim Matthews
10-31-2013, 4:50 PM
Tire prices are shocking because tires last so long.

Most people buy a new set every - what? - 60,000 miles?
That's nearly ten years worth of driving for me.

I put snows on every Thanksgiving day, so the tires should last longer than I want to keep the car.

Tires are like lightbulbs, amazing value for money - if you figure how often they're used and what they cost per unit measure.

Rick Moyer
10-31-2013, 4:52 PM
Yeah but at least you got four. I just paid over $600 for one steering tire on my dump truck (actually $1300+ for two of them).

Alan Sweet
10-31-2013, 4:58 PM
With respect to getting old...

Many years ago, my son was in a private school because the government school system said he was too young.

Any way I volunteered to teach a 2 hour class on computers.

I took an Apple ][+ to class with me for demos.

Some of the kids were amazed at computers back then. Back in the 70s, soon after Edison discovered the light bulb.

I knew I was getting old when trying to explain something, I said it was as easy as winding a watch.

A lot of faces stared back at me. What is winding a watch?

I was old then I guess now even this is a mystery to some.

David Weaver
10-31-2013, 5:08 PM
I'm on my second Ody, with no failures in any of the above - in either car.
1999 sold at 157,000 miles - didn't leak a drop of oil, couldn't get out of it's own way.
2003 with 95,000 miles - 1800 mile round trip in August, 28 mpg HWY at 70 mph with the AC cranked.

If you change the transmission fluid at 75,000 miles and don't tow anything, they're excellent.

FYI - Any people hauler will fail if kids throw enough Cheerios in the moving parts.
I believe dog hair will do in my latest, when it chokes the cabin filter.

Those comments came from:
1) two owners I know complaining about $4000 service bills around the 100,000 mile mark, and
2) Eric the Car Guy, a former Acura/Honda factory mechanic who drives a oddysey and just spent $3200 of his own money (with him doing the work) on an older one - 98 or 99 or something. He commented that you should budget for major transmission work or replacement every 100,000 miles if you want to keep one for the long run, and that they have a reputation for that.

My wife is in love with the oddysey. We are driving a scion XB (that's how cheap I am) which is only about 2/3rds the size and has a better reliability profile, but I'll concede that it would be much nicer to have the space of the Oddysey. Honda and toyota have great data for their core cars, but they were sort of pushed into americanized cars in some other segments (like minivans) and don't have the same level of reliability in those as they do in their core specialties (small and mid sized sedans). The XB is more or less a corolla platform with a base camry motor and some antiquated toyota transmission design. It's like working on a car from the 80s, everything is easy to get to and wide open. The interior is comparably spartan.

(And good tires for it were $450 last year)

(And secretly, I'd still like a Honda or yota van, regardless of the above)

Joe Tilson
10-31-2013, 5:42 PM
The only way to really tell you are getting old is; You wipe every time you go to the bathroom no matter what.

Mike Henderson
10-31-2013, 6:03 PM
I bought my first car - a 1946 Ford flathead sedan - for $75 used. I drove that car all over.

Mike

dennis thompson
10-31-2013, 6:39 PM

Actually the Odyssey has been a pretty good car so far,(65,000 miles) and i have only have had to do normal services.tires, brakes, oil etc. i will say that the tires and brakes i've done were not done at the dealer as their fees were very expensive however the oil ($35) and transmission ($90) oil changes are surprisingly reasonable at the dealer. In fact I called a local transmission shop and they wanted $160 to change transmission oil.....go figure

Phil Thien
10-31-2013, 8:13 PM
Those comments came from:
1) two owners I know complaining about $4000 service bills around the 100,000 mile mark, and
2) Eric the Car Guy, a former Acura/Honda factory mechanic who drives a oddysey and just spent $3200 of his own money (with him doing the work) on an older one - 98 or 99 or something. He commented that you should budget for major transmission work or replacement every 100,000 miles if you want to keep one for the long run, and that they have a reputation for that.

My wife is in love with the oddysey. We are driving a scion XB (that's how cheap I am) which is only about 2/3rds the size and has a better reliability profile, but I'll concede that it would be much nicer to have the space of the Oddysey. Honda and toyota have great data for their core cars, but they were sort of pushed into americanized cars in some other segments (like minivans) and don't have the same level of reliability in those as they do in their core specialties (small and mid sized sedans). The XB is more or less a corolla platform with a base camry motor and some antiquated toyota transmission design. It's like working on a car from the 80s, everything is easy to get to and wide open. The interior is comparably spartan.

(And good tires for it were $450 last year)

(And secretly, I'd still like a Honda or yota van, regardless of the above)

I have a 2009 (original owner) with 60k miles on it. If I do a decent stretch of expressway driving, upon getting off the expressway the transmission makes a sort of bearing noise for a while. If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine, there is no noise. If I'm in drive I get the noise. I have no idea what the noise is. Automatic transmissions are a mystery to me.

I purchased the extended warranty on the car so I've been documenting the transmission problems, hopefully it goes out while still in warranty and I don't have to fight them.

The car also needs mid-grade to avoid engine ping (10.5:1 compression).

Oh and my tires (just purchased) were about $750 or something I think after a $50 gift card from Michelin.

My wife is happy with it, though, so...

Kevin Bourque
10-31-2013, 9:39 PM
You're really getting old when you recall getting new horseshoes on your first vehicle.

Todd Willhoit
10-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Tire prices are shocking because tires last so long.

Most people buy a new set every - what? - 60,000 miles?
That's nearly ten years worth of driving for me.

I put snows on every Thanksgiving day, so the tires should last longer than I want to keep the car.

Ten years of driving what? Passenger car tires on a minivan last around 30k...if you are lucky. Fortunately they get pro-rated. In your case, I am sure it helps that you use your snows half of the year.

Sal Kurban
11-01-2013, 7:40 AM
Just paid $1150 for a set of tires for my Toyota Tundra :(
S.

David Weaver
11-01-2013, 8:57 AM
Come to the dark side and drive the cheap stripped down cars :)

The XB was $18,000, Cheap tires would be $350 (205/16s), good tires are anywhere between 400-600, mileage is decent (not good compared to a prius or anything, though), insurance is cheap (that's a couple of hundred bucks to you and me, and that adds up), and if you need a big vehicle for some reason, enterprise and uhaul have them. Only known problem is the water pump - figure in an XB that you'll actually change the water pump when the timing belt is done out of need and not out of convenience.

The downside is the interior is spartan and if you're over 250 or need a seat with very specific lumbar support in some area, it's not going to have that. It also isn't going to haul four kids.

(I did look up Consumer Reports actual reliability data last night, because they're the only place that I know of that actually tracks real long-term data. The transmission gets OK marks until the van gets old. There are a couple of other spots that had black circles, but I can't remember what they were. Overall reliability thus far and projected on the current model is "about average", which is decent but pretty far below the actual and predicted reliability for their older bread and butter vehicles (camry, accord, etc).

The accord's not what it used to be, though, either (had a 2005 that had some minor not-very-honda-like issues, but still above average).

Phil Thien
11-01-2013, 9:44 AM
I did look up Consumer Reports actual reliability data last night, because they're the only place that I know of that actually tracks real long-term data.

What do they say about the Odyssey?

David Weaver
11-01-2013, 10:00 AM
What do they say about the Odyssey?

Sorry, that's the one they say reliability is expected to be "about average" which is a comment that relates to all automobiles, and not average for honda.

For the other two that I looked up a the time, the XB and the Camry, reliability is expected to be "much better than average", which is two grades up.

That's sort of in line with the comments from the mechanic. It's strange to have a transmission fluid change on a fairly regular interval, but maybe that's a damage prevention issue. (and if it works, well worth it).

John Sanford
11-01-2013, 12:22 PM
704 really isnt bad in todays tire world. Gosh I see some of these new cars with tires that are 200 a piece, plus mounting and balancing. Ive heard several times of people being up close to a grand for a set of tires. Its mind blowing. One of the reasons I have no desire to have a new vehicle. Car payments, insurance, and upkeep are just brutal nowadays.
I spent $900 about two months ago for a full set of four tires.

For my truck. Tire size can really drive the cost up.

Keep in mind though that tires today can last up to 75k miles, so comparing them to tires of yore that were lucky to last 30k is a fools game.

John Sanford
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Three on the tree.

AM Radio only.

High beam switch on the left floorboard.

Not even enough room on the dash to set a paperback book.

David Weaver
11-01-2013, 12:53 PM
How far back are we going before we say old tires didn't wear as well? 20 years ago, my father bought a new explorer and ran the factory tires to 73,000 miles. They still passed inspection, and strange thing is I don't remember them ever riding bad, new or old (they weren't firestones, I can't remember what they were). If you bring it up, he'll still brag on how well he did with those tires - as if he had something to do with picking them.

I do think in the last 3 decades that the long treadlife tires have become less like hard plastic.

Of course, most cars have indpendent suspension and don't threaten touching the ground with the corner bumper in a hard turn, either.

David Weaver
11-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Three on the tree.

AM Radio only.

I think you're talking farther back than me, though there were still a few cars in the parking lot in school with 3 on the tree when I was a kid (and still cars with bias ply tires back then, though they were definitely not on their first vehicle)

Brian Elfert
11-01-2013, 1:59 PM
I drove a Chevy truck with three on the tree for work on a fairgrounds in the early 90s. The fairgrounds still has at least one of those trucks. They might use it in crunch times when they need another truck. The roads are private so no need for registration.

Minivan tires should last a lot longer than 30,000 miles. My minivan tires are over half way to 30,000 miles and they aren't half worn out yet.

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-01-2013, 4:01 PM
Three on the tree.
AM Radio only.

Hey! Some of us still own and drive vehicles like this!

Don't forget the pull knobs to turn on/off headlights and heat
No such thing as intermittent wipers.

David Weaver
11-01-2013, 4:16 PM
How about manual choke? First time I got in a truck with my dad to haul grain (riding along as a kid), it had a non-working parking brake (which is problematic if you want to stop for a coffee) and a manual choke. I'm sure it's long since junked now.

Kevin Bourque
11-01-2013, 4:51 PM
Did anybody have an 8 track player in their vehicle? It was very cool for about 1 year.

David Weaver
11-01-2013, 5:51 PM
I never did, but when I was in high school, one of my buddies got a short wheel base van ( remember those?) With a three on the tree and an 8 track player.

It was one of those "if this van's rockin, don't come knockin" deals.

Jason Roehl
11-01-2013, 6:19 PM
Three on the tree.

AM Radio only.

I drove a 3-on-the-tree vehicle on my in-laws' farm once, probably 15 years ago or so.

Ford F-series pickups had the high beam switch on the floor through the '91 model year (I had a '90 F150 that I bought in '97, and drove to '03).

My current work van ('03 E250) has a factory AM/FM radio. No CD or cassette. At least it has the power goodies I like (door locks and windows). But my coffee mug doesn't fit on the dash.

Tom Stenzel
11-01-2013, 8:08 PM
MY first car had a three on the tree.

How many remember downshifting uphill so the windshield wipers would keep working?

As far as transmission failures go, my Chevy Venture had the trans go at 95K. The 4T65E they shoehorn in them doesn't have a steller rep either. But I got the van dirt cheap, even with the trans rebuild the total cost of ownership is still low.

As far as buying the Honda, total cost of ownership is what you need to keep your eye on. If you can get many more years out of a vehicle with a trans rebuild you can still come out ahead.

-Tom Stenzel

ray hampton
11-01-2013, 8:38 PM
MY first car had a three on the tree.

How many remember downshifting uphill so the windshield wipers would keep working?

-Tom Stenzel

downshift nothing , I would pull over and stop until the vacuum build back to work the wipers

Fred Chan
11-02-2013, 3:43 AM
That was my car! 58 TBird. I like to think of it as early intermittent wipers.:)

John McClanahan
11-02-2013, 9:56 AM
Three on the tree? In the mid '70's I owned a 1966 Fiat with four on the tree. :D

dennis thompson
11-02-2013, 2:55 PM
How about manual choke? First time I got in a truck with my dad to haul grain (riding along as a kid), it had a non-working parking brake (which is problematic if you want to stop for a coffee) and a manual choke. I'm sure it's long since junked now.
A story from my auto repair days: a woman comes into a repair shop and says car isn't running right, she leaves the car and later on the mechanic takes it for a ride and it runs perfectly. Woman picks up the car later in the day. She returns the next day, same problem, leaves it, mechanics takes for a ride and it runs fine, this is repeated two more times and finally the mechanic says to the woman......you drive the car for a test ride and I'll ride in the passenger seat. The mechanic gets in the passenger seat, the woman get in the drivers seat, pulls out the choke and hangs her pocketbook on it!

ray hampton
11-02-2013, 5:52 PM
A story from my auto repair days: a woman comes into a repair shop and says car isn't running right, she leaves the car and later on the mechanic takes it for a ride and it runs perfectly. Woman picks up the car later in the day. She returns the next day, same problem, leaves it, mechanics takes for a ride and it runs fine, this is repeated two more times and finally the mechanic says to the woman......you drive the car for a test ride and I'll ride in the passenger seat. The mechanic gets in the passenger seat, the woman get in the drivers seat, pulls out the choke and hangs her pocketbook on it!

I have a similar problem except for the choke was cause by the butterfly valve in the carb. was sticking , every driver behind you complain about you smoking