PDA

View Full Version : CorelX5 Copy Issues

matt heinzel
10-31-2013, 9:50 AM
Ok so we have had some small issues with X5 in the past but this one has be baffled. When we open a document and try to copy an element using Ctrl+C it doesn't go to the clipboard and therefor can't Paste it. I tried to just open two documents and drag the element from one to the other, but the darn thing disappears from the first document and never makes it into the other. I opened 3 other programs and could copy and paste everything. We have reset the machine multiple times and I read online that someone had a similar issue and it wasn't resolved from re-installing the program.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

David Somers
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Matt,

Has anything changed in your system coinciding with this problem? An Upgraded OS perhaps? Either installing Win7, or Win7 updates applying about the same time from Microsoft? Is Corel X5 using its latest service pack/update?
I ask because a quick hunt on the web and in Corel showed a lot of similar issues all involving Win 7 and Corel X5. I also noted that the apparent number of people asking was not really high, but seemed that way because they appeared to have each posted on a number of systems based on usernames and the questions posted. But there were enough with the same issue to possibly point to a Win7 conflict as a possible cause.

For giggles you could try running X5 in compatibility mode within Win7 and see if that helps.

I am afraid I don't have X5 or I would see if I can replicate this.

matt heinzel
10-31-2013, 1:11 PM
It is on a workmates computer and she said she didn't change anything. I know it is running with all the new service packs and such. When she is done for the day I think I will try the workplace reset that I saw as a possible fix. What is compatibility mode?

David Somers
10-31-2013, 1:38 PM
Compatibility mode is a feature of Windows 7. In theory, most programs designed for Windows XP will run fine under Windows 7 as is. But some are a bit more persnickety. Compatibility mode creates an environment for a fussy program to run in that takes that XP compatibility up a few notches and makes it more likely a fussy program will work in Windows 7.

If you click on the Windows 7 start button, and look at the bottom of the window that opens you will see the search box. Type in Program Comp
By the time you type that much it will show you a few hits in the top part of the screen. Look for one that says "Run Programs made for Previous Versions of Windows" Select that.

you will get another window saying Program Compatibility. Click Next
It will search for programs and give you a list of possibilities. Look for your Corel program in the list, highlight it, and hit Next.
I would do Try Recommended Settings on the next screen. You need to have a bit more knowledge of Windows to be able to deal well with the Troubleshoot Program option which follows it.....so let it try what it thinks will help first before you go the troubleshoot route. See if that helps at all.

I am going to be stuck on a bunch of conference calls most of the day, but will try to keep an eye on the forum if you write back.

Dave

matt heinzel
11-04-2013, 9:10 AM
David
I just wanted to pass along what happened after your last message. I ran virus check, a Malware check, did disk defrag, scanned the hard drive for failures, and then re-installed Coreldraw all with no improvement. Then I grabbed CCleaner and ran the process that cleans out all of the temp files on the computer and just like that everything worked again!

Mike Lysov
11-05-2013, 11:11 PM
On my Windows 7 32bit laptop with X4 running I cannot do Copy & Paste in Corel Draw only when there is a second instance of Corel Draw running.
The same happens with VB macros, they are not working(executing) if more than one instance of Corel running.
Sometimes all other instances of the program are not even visible and they are just sitting in background taking a lot of resources. In this case I use task manager to kill them.

Kev Williams
11-06-2013, 5:14 PM
Just to add my own dilemma, I'm running X3, and anything I copy from ANYthing to do with office 2007, ends up as a black box in Corel. Text from Word, or anything with cells of Excel, all I get is black boxes. I have a customer who insists on sending me emailed text in ALL CAPS that have to be upper and lower case. So in order to make it work, I copy from email, paste in Word, change text to "sentence text" which fixes the capitalizations, then copy the fixed text, paste into Notepad, then finally copy from notepad and paste into Corel. The old Office '97 never had 'black box' issues...

David Somers
11-06-2013, 6:39 PM
David
I just wanted to pass along what happened after your last message. I ran virus check, a Malware check, did disk defrag, scanned the hard drive for failures, and then re-installed Coreldraw all with no improvement. Then I grabbed CCleaner and ran the process that cleans out all of the temp files on the computer and just like that everything worked again!

Thanks Matt! That was good to hear! Glad it is working correctly again without toooooo much fuss!

Dave

matt heinzel
11-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Kev when you say black box to you mean a solid black box or an outline? When we upgraded to a new version of Excel and copied into corel it would copy the entire cell even if it wasn't outline. One thing that I have learned here is to use Paste Special instead of paste and the click Picture Metafile. If it is just an outline issue from excel I would suggest turning of the grid view in excel before copying.