PDA

View Full Version : HDD platters, can they be lasered?

Sotos Patistas
10-31-2013, 7:13 AM
Or are they too reflective? Will it damage my laser? Is rotary engraving an option.

I know, questions, questions, questions. But I'm betting someone here has encountered this before.

Anyone?

Many thanks, gang.

Richard Rumancik
10-31-2013, 8:35 AM
The surface of a HDD platter is not an organic material so you probably won't be able to affect the surface. Maybe you could generate some discoloration. HDD platters make good mirrors for lasers so I would expect you will get 90%+ reflection. That could cause damage to optics or the tube, or if misaligned could cause some stray beams to damage the inside of the laser enclosure.

David Somers
10-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Would a marking compound like Cermark work for what you want?
Or perhaps use the laser to cut a stencil for sand blasting or chemically etching the disk?
Or...go old school, and use the laser for a stencil, and then use a dremel tool or Fordom or a dental drill with a bit meant for metal or glass and carve it that way. You can be amazingly delicate with a dental style drill and the right bit.

Sotos Patistas
10-31-2013, 2:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I should pass on this job. I haven't had good luck using Cermark on alloys, and abandoned my foray into sandblasting years ago. I think this is a job for someone else.

Jerome Stanek
10-31-2013, 4:39 PM
There is a You tube video on how to make laser mirrors from Hard Drive disks

vic casware
10-31-2013, 5:00 PM
Indeed they can, I applied a piece of application tape and lasered through it, i think 50%274075 speed 50% power

David Somers
10-31-2013, 5:03 PM
Vic,

For tape, are you using something special? Or just a low gum masking or painters tape?

Dave

Kim Vellore
10-31-2013, 5:03 PM
The plates are made in Aluminum, ceramic or glass like substance. The Aluminum may not mark but the other two should.
Kim

vic casware
10-31-2013, 7:03 PM
I was using Sign Vinyl Paper Application Tape