PDA

View Full Version : I feel dirty

Max Withers
10-31-2013, 12:43 AM
I don't consider myself a hand tool fundamentalist by any means, but today I had to fire up the table saw for the first time in a long time, and it left a bad taste in my mouth (and smell in the garage). I don't feel guilty -- I had to rip a sheet of 3/4 maple plywood into 10" strips, and I do not own a hand tool I would enjoy using for that -- but I was really struck by how unpleasant the environment became as soon as I used it.

Normally I wheel it outside, but it was raining today.

This Neanderthal thing is a slippery slope, isn't it?

Harold Burrell
10-31-2013, 9:00 AM
I appreciate your "confession" here. ;)

I...for one...forgive you.

Especially since I too used my TS yesterday...

george wilson
10-31-2013, 9:07 AM
If you could saw by hand as fast as the table saw can saw,and could move the saw blade as fast as the table saw,it likely would have left the same odor in the shop !!:)

Probably the smell from the glue in the plywood.

Adam Cruea
10-31-2013, 9:13 AM
If it's any consolation, I hate using power tools as well.

The Neander thing is a slippery slope. Unless I'm just needing to *seriously* rough cut something or make repetitive, consistent cuts through large stock for some reason (like something my wife needs), I refuse to use power tools any more.

Jim Matthews
10-31-2013, 9:13 AM
I use my circular saw with an edge guide for breaking down plywood.

For those of us, outside the professional realm, speed isn't really the issue to address -
safety, quality and dust control - those are the things I look after.

I've been surprised at how quickly I can break down the smaller sheets by hand.
A good crosscut saw zips through 3/8" plywood faster than I can find an extension cord.

Chris Griggs
10-31-2013, 9:21 AM
I feel dirty when I use my router...not spiritually or emotionally though...more literally, as the router sprays feathery sawdust all over the place. Not a fan.

Zach Dillinger
10-31-2013, 9:26 AM
I am about as hardcore a neander as anyone I know of... and yet I still sometimes wish I had a table saw for doing certain jobs, especially around the house.

Judson Green
10-31-2013, 9:51 AM
I feel for ya. Cutting up plywood or MDF is never at the top of my fun list. Used to get this cheep plywood that when sawed would smell like a demonic lemon pledge, kinda weird. Sawing acrylic (Corian countertops) is the worst really stinky (and it sticks with you, doesn't matter how many times you blow your nose) and the dust/shavings cling to you and your clothing. Probably became statically charged, maybe that's why I'd smell it all day. Static snot.

Zach Dillinger
10-31-2013, 9:52 AM
Static snot.

If only I had a punk band... Hello, new band name.

Chris Griggs
10-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I am about as hardcore a neander as anyone I know of... and yet I still sometimes wish I had a table saw for doing certain jobs, especially around the house.

I keep my little portable Dewalt ts, just because I know some day I'll be glad to have it for a home improvement project. I occasionally use it in the wood shop, but I use it so seldom now, that it kinda scares me when I do; I'm not as comfortable with it as I used to be. That's not going to stop me from getting a big ole bandsaw though. There are some things I would rather not do by hand.

Chris Fournier
10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
I guess that I'm not a thoroughbred or purist blade pusher but I don't mind using my machines for one moment, gasp, I even enjoy it. Every project has many different processes, some are heavy, noisy and there are lot's of chips flying but I know that quiet contemplative work follows with joinery, surface finishing with handtools, hardware installation and topcoating etc. Let's not forget design at the computer or drafting board!

If quiet was of great importance to me I'd consider activities that are just that: reading, monastic living etc..

I really do enjoy the sound, feel and effectiveness of my handtools but there are other methods of work that are just as joy inducing. Along with these other methods comes the capacity to work faster larger and with other materials other than just pleasant lumber which opens up the design/build possibilities in my shop!

Handtools are integral to the way I work with wood but machine tools are too. Using both methods unabashedly actually accentuates the positive and pleasant aspects of both methods.

I may get dirrty but I never feel dirty.

Harold Burrell
10-31-2013, 10:10 AM
If it makes you feel any better...

I cannot even imagine any woodworker from years gone by NOT using a TS if they had had one.

In fact...if I remember correctly...Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, so he could see better while using his TS. ;)

Max Withers
10-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, if I were doing this for a living I'd use every tool I could afford to work faster. I was just surprised how turned off I was by the table saw + plywood combo that had largely defined how I got stuff done for 25 years, barely six months into my hand tool obsession.

And Jim, anything shorter than 4 feet I freehand with the Milwaukee circular saw that was the first tool I ever bought myself. A couple passes with a block plane is faster than setting up a guide.

I can cut plywood a little straighter with a handsaw than a circular saw, but it's faster (and maybe cheaper?) to buy a 7 1/4" blade than to sharpen a decent handsaw.

John Gornall
11-01-2013, 6:30 PM
Wrestling sheets of 3/4" through the tablesaw without a helper doesn't do the old back any good. So I bought a Makita track saw and slide the plywood out of the truck onto some 2x4's and break it down. Very pleased with the saw and the back relief. But the nice addition is the track saw with vac attached is dustless - hardly any smell as well. Money well spent as plywood is still sometimes necessary.

Sam Murdoch
11-01-2013, 6:34 PM
In fact...if I remember correctly...Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, so he could see better while using his TS. ;)

:D Thanks - made me laugh.

paul cottingham
11-01-2013, 8:03 PM
If it makes you feel any better...

I cannot even imagine any woodworker from years gone by NOT using a TS if they had had one.

Harold, you got me again. I should know better than to read your stuff while drinking coffee.

Winton Applegate
11-02-2013, 2:04 AM
It has all been said by others but here yah go . . .

Plywood ?
What's plywood ?

:)