PDA

View Full Version : Need supplier help!

Jim Good
10-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm in need of some help. I'm looking for suppliers that offer something similar to the acrylic piece below that could house a patch. With the patch having some thickness I'm guessing it'll need a little boring out to make room.

Do you know of anyone that sells something like this? I'd rather get something where I can throw in the patch and screw it together. I'm not sure I'll be so lucky!

I'd appreciate some help or suggestions.

Thanks!

Jim274034

Mike Null
10-31-2013, 7:07 AM
Jim

I don't know of anyone but i would contact somebody like Delvies or TAP. http://www.tapplastics.com/

Jim Good
10-31-2013, 7:36 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'll start with both of those places. If they don't have what I need, maybe they can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

Jim

David Somers
10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Jim,

If you have trouble finding something premade, I would think most acrylic suppliers could actually do the work for you. If you have a laser engraver or other cutting device that can handle acrylic though you might be able to do this yourself with 3 pieces of acrylic. The inner layer would be roughly the same thickness as your emblem, and would have a cut out done in it to the shape of your emblem and the edges polished. Then the 3 pieces put together and those edges cleaned up and polished. Just a thought. Seems like that might be simpler to do than trying to get one of two pieces of acrylic bored down and polished to accommodate the emblem. As Mike said though, an acrylic shop will know the best approach.

Mike Null
10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Jim

If it isn't essential to insert a small fabric flag then using the magicTouch ORD paper as shown on the back of the front piece then adding the second surface should do the trick.

Even though it doesn't really show the Ryder Cup plaque is 1/8" acrylic with the image on the back surface.

Jim Good
10-31-2013, 3:05 PM
Mike,

The novelty is that the flag, or in my case the patch, has flown on the last shuttle flight before being retired, so the patch is important. The NASA customer is paying out of his pocket so he is trying to keep it reasonable, also. It's possible I can offer up some other way to display the patch.

I'd take some suggestions on alternative ways to use the patch in some type of award. He's paying for 25-30 of these so I'm trying to keep it reasonable so his wife doesn't kill him. :p

Thanks for everyone's help!

Jim

Ross Moshinsky
10-31-2013, 4:01 PM
Century MFG is who we deal with.

David Somers
10-31-2013, 4:18 PM
Jim,

If you are looking for some alternatives you might contact a local museum and talk with a curator. I assume these are pretty important, personally precious items to the people who will get them. A curator might be able to suggest some reasonably priced approaches to displaying them that would also protect them over the years.

Good luck! That is a cool idea and will certainly be a very very special item to receive!
Dave

Jim Good
10-31-2013, 4:35 PM
Ross,

I'll talk with Century MFG and see what they can do. Thanks!

Jim

Jim Good
10-31-2013, 4:36 PM
David,

I may stop by the Space and Rocket Center and see how they display patches, other than plaques and shadow boxes. Thanks for the idea!

Jim

David Somers
10-31-2013, 5:05 PM
Jim,

I would love to see what you end up doing if you don't mind following up with us after? Hope this turns out great!!!

Dave

Jim Good
10-31-2013, 5:22 PM
David,

I'll do it. I may talk with the local acrylic supplier who provided the example piece I attached in the initial post. They may be able to do something for me, too.

Thanks!

Jim