PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

Dave Bunge
10-30-2013, 8:58 PM
I've come across some nice cherry wood, 12-14 inch diameter, just cut yesterday, so I'm hopeful that the bark will stick for NE forms. The only drawback is that it's got poison ivy vines stuck to it.

Can anyone give me advice on how to remove it and if it's safe to use? I'm planning to gear up with rubber gloves, long sleeves, etc, and just pull it off. But I'm interested to hear if anyone has experience doing this, what you did, how it turned out.

Thanks in advance.

Doug W Swanson
10-30-2013, 9:23 PM
If you deliver it to my house, I will pull the vines off as long as I get to keep some of the wood! I think rubber gloves and long sleeves should do the trick. Just make sure you remove the gloves and shirt carefully...

David Gilbert
10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Doug's advise is good. Heavy rubber gloves and heavy clothes make a lot of sense and a disposable dust mask might be useful too. The other thing that I would do is remove the vines in one session and then take a very soapy shower to be sure that all traces are off of you. Also wash all your clothes right away to be sure all the oils are gone.

I got a very nasty case of poison ivy a couple of years ago when I collected some wood and I don't think any wood is worth the pain and suffering.

Enjoy the wood and beware of the poison ivy.

David

Tom Wilson66
10-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Read an article in one of the woodturning mags some time ago about a turner who used poison ivy for turning pens. His advise was to cut the vine to kill it, then letting it dry out for a year. The oils will dry out and it can be handled safely. If you seal the ends of the logs, they should be dry by then, also.

robert baccus
10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
The stuff has eaten me alive for years. Go pull the stuff off and dispose of it with your bare hands. Wash well with a strong soap--you have an hour at least before the oils can affect you.

curtis rosche
10-30-2013, 11:11 PM
pull it off, pull the bark off. then wash your hands and arms in kerosene.

John Keeton
10-31-2013, 5:13 AM
I don't know how reactive you will be to the stuff - it doesn't seem to bother me much, but do be aware that you can get the oil in your eyes from turning the wood. Poison ivy in your conjunctiva would not be fun!!! Letting it dry out may prevent that, or reduce the risk, but it may not fit in with your ideas on turning the wood.

John Lifer
10-31-2013, 7:38 AM
Pull off with gloves, and I would then give the wood a good bath itself. Let dry for a while and turn. Dry vines still have oil in them

Dale Miner
10-31-2013, 7:48 AM
When it is pulled off, there will still remain the small hair roots. I would remove the bark completely from the logs. Turning through the hair roots could put airborne particles in play. An ivy reaction in your lungs might result.

George Bokros
10-31-2013, 7:49 AM
I guess I am puzzled why anyone would want to risk getting poison ivy over some logs. To me it is not worth the risk. If for some reason you get it in your eyes or you inhale any and get it in your lungs it will be very painful.

Also do not burn it, the smoke can be toxic also.

Mike Cruz
10-31-2013, 8:45 AM
First of all, Dave. Every part of poison ivy can cause the skin reaction that we all associate with poison ivy...not just the leaves. The reaction is caused by oils that the plant/vine secretes. If you get that oil on your skin, you have about 10 minutes to wash it off before your skin will react to it. Not saying you will react immediately...could take days. But you have 10 minutes to wash it off before it will be too late.

Secondly, even after the vine is "dead", the oils still are on the vine. Not until it is actually rotting could you assume that it is "safe" from transferring oils. By then, you wouldn't be using this wood for NE bowls because the bark would be separating.

IF, using gloves and protective clothing, you can peel the vines off, you'll be getting MOST of the oils off, but I doubt ALL of it. Now, a DNA bath MIGHT have some sort of neutralizing effect on whatever oils are still in/on the NE bark. But I have no idea.

Now, how allergic are you to PI? I, if in direct contact with it, might "get" it, but I am by no means allergic to it. If my mother SEES it, she'll break out all over her body...as will my brother. Everyone reacts differently. IF you are like my mother or brother, it isn't even worth fooling with any part of that tree that has vines on it. When you cut it up, the oils will get on your clothes. When you remove your clothes, if you tough the oils on your face or hands from passing them off your body, guess what?...

Personally, since I'm not allergic to PI, I'd cut it up as normal, and just not do NE turnings. I'd get rid of the bark... Otherwise, that is some really nice looking wood, and that big crotch piece will yield two really nice big bowls! Hope your lathe can handle that capacity...it would be a shame to cut those smaller!

robert baccus
10-31-2013, 11:24 PM
It's like alligators and mother-in-laws, handled with skill daring and finess you will be safe. Worked in the woods with it for years and I am highly allergic--been in the hospital with it when a child and had it bad in the service.. Keep an eye open for it and learn how to recognize it. Like above be careful with your clothes and especially boot laces after walking in it. I kept a bottle of Windex in my truck and always washed my hands and arms--it needs no rinsing like many soaps. Chainsaws are famous for throwing sap/oil back at you--watch the backside of trees. What---Anything for some nice wood.

Sid Matheny
11-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Poison ivy has never bothered me, yet. I can work in it for hours and not get any reaction. Yeah I know that can change any time.

Sid

Dave Bunge
11-01-2013, 7:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and precautions. I won't be able to work on the wood until Sunday. I'll give a (hopefully itch free) update sometime next week.

In the meantime, if anyone else has tips for me I'd love to hear them.

Dave

Mike Cutler
11-01-2013, 8:03 AM
Dave

there is a product called Tecnu at the drugstore. It'll cost about $10.00 for a bottle. Apply it like a suntan lotion before you work with the poison ivy after you are done take a lukewarm shower using Tecnu as the soap. Basically Tecnu is a soap that breaks down the oil in poison ivy. I have a lot of poison ivy in the back yard, and there is no way I can avoid contact.
Strip the vine, and cut away the bark with something sharp, manually. A sharpened axe head and a mallet works very well.

PS. That vine will never get rid of it's oils, until it is dust. My dogs have given me poison ivy in Jan/Feb with 12" of snow on the ground. They brush up against the trees, with vines, to itch themselves. Then the little fur balls come and rub on me.:eek:

Steve Bistritz
11-01-2013, 8:12 AM
Ran across this page, a conversation on handling it on logs...(hope the link is OK mods) http:// www. hearth.com/talk/threads/poison-ivy-on-trunk.17012/

Paul Douglass
11-01-2013, 8:45 AM
I'm just putting this out there I cannot verify it, but years ago I use to do yard work for a wheelchair bound lady. She was in the service when she was young and she told me when they spent time out in the brush where there was poison ivy or poison oak, when they got done they washed in a vinegar and water solution, 50/50. The vinegar got rid of the poison. I did it when I was young and worked around it and I never got it. Maybe I just became immune to it, but I never had a problem with it after I did as the lady told me.

John Keeton
11-01-2013, 8:45 AM
Steve, good info at that site, but links to other forums are not permitted. I killed the link, but folks can copy/paste the URL in the browser, close up the spaces, and get there anyway.

Michael Stafford
11-01-2013, 9:06 AM
The best thing to do with poison ivy is get far away from it. I have started to itch and break out just reading this thread.

Please pass the calamine and ivy dry!

Mike Cruz
11-01-2013, 9:26 AM
Mike, I'm not sure what is worse...getting poison ivy, or having dog's fur balls rubbed up against me...:D

Chuck Darney
11-01-2013, 9:47 AM
Do NOT burn the vines. The smoke will contain the oils as well. Had a family move into our neighborhood years ago. He promptly started pulling the vines off his trees and piling them up. I gave him the same advice which he ignored. He spent a few days in the hospital over that. I was actually more concerned with his neighbor across the street whose house was right in the path of the smoke. I called them and told them to close up their windows and get out if possible.

robert baccus
11-01-2013, 10:22 PM
If you really get a bad case of it go to the. doctor and get a shot--worth it,s weight in gold. If you can see either ear without a mirror it's bad.

Steven Green
11-02-2013, 12:59 AM
I don't get it either and I've spent days in the stuff. Just drop the logs off here and I'll call you when it's safe.

Mike Cruz
11-02-2013, 4:04 AM
Robert, I don't mean to be mean, but you need to pay more attention to you capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure. I have to read your posts 3 times to understand them...

ray hampton
11-02-2013, 6:27 PM
Robert, I don't mean to be mean, but you need to pay more attention to you capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure. I have to read your posts 3 times to understand them...

I understand Robert post first reading
I not sure if your body will become immune to poison ivy, I could remove its vines using my hands and never had any problems but I could not walk thru. the ivy without catching it

Jim Phipps
11-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Another vote for "Technu" scrub. It's great for treating a PI rash as well. Another note: normal soap can emulsify the oil and spread it around your body in the shower. Been there. I read that Dawn, which is known for removing oil, is the thing to use if you don't have something specializes like Technu. The Windex and vinegar ideas are probably along the same lines.

Mike Cruz
11-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Hehe, Ray, I'm not surprised you had no problem reading his post...my response could have just as likely been to you, too. Maybe it is just me, but when words that should be capitalized aren't, when punctuation is missing, and sentences don't have structure, they lose their flow and make for a difficult read.

ray hampton
11-03-2013, 1:03 PM
Hehe, Ray, I'm not surprised you had no problem reading his post...my response could have just as likely been to you, too. Maybe it is just me, but when words that should be capitalized aren't, when punctuation is missing, and sentences don't have structure, they lose their flow and make for a difficult read.

Mike, Iamsurprisethatyounoticed , tranlate , I am surprise that you noticed , I am better working on a english wheel versus english

robert baccus
11-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm 71 years old and a bit goofy from Lymes And Have hell just Typing anything. Thanks for your tolerance and I was shooting 44 mags before you were born. I don't feel I need to define my masculity by my gun calibers.

Mike Cruz
11-04-2013, 7:39 AM
Has nothing to do with masculinity. Just preference. Funny, I wouldn't judge someone if their go-to was a .22. Just means they don't like loud and kicky. Honestly, if shooting a .44 defines masculinity, then call me effeminate. I don't find them comfortable or fun to shoot...other than their stopping power! You are more of a man than me...apparently...because you just DID define your masculinity by the caliber that you shot. ;)

I know about your Lymes. I don't envy you one bit for it. And wish and pray that I never get it. We have LOTS of deer ticks around here. There are programs that you can install on your computer that will allow you to speak into them so that you don't have to type. That might make it easier on your fingers.

David C. Roseman
11-04-2013, 8:27 AM
Group hug.

David

Mike Cruz
11-04-2013, 9:16 AM
Are you trying to give EVERYONE poison ivy, David? :D

David C. Roseman
11-04-2013, 9:27 AM
Uh-ho. Hadn't thought of that!

David

robert baccus
11-04-2013, 9:28 PM
Actually a friend bought the first 44 (late fifties?) mag anyone ever heard of and we were all shooting on a bench when he surprised us with it. Being a dumb 110 # macho I said let me shoot that thing. The front sight of the ruger cut my forehead and I threw the thing on the table and announced that someone had removed the wheels on purpose. Never shoot a handcannon with one hand! He sold it to a charterboat captain to shoot sharks with. Last I heard it changed hands 4 times. Nice caliber in the Ruger carbine for deer though. Thanks, the microphone/computer thing is looking better--actually I am losing the ability to spell on certain weeks.

ray hampton
11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Actually a friend bought the first 44 (late fifties?) mag anyone ever heard of and we were all shooting on a bench when he surprised us with it. Being a dumb 110 # macho I said let me shoot that thing. The front sight of the ruger cut my forehead and I threw the thing on the table and announced that someone had removed the wheels on purpose. Never shoot a handcannon with one hand! He sold it to a charterboat captain to shoot sharks with. Last I heard it changed hands 4 times. Nice caliber in the Ruger carbine for deer though. Thanks, the microphone/computer thing is looking better--actually I am losing the ability to spell on certain weeks.

I own and shot a 44 magnum many times and never experience recoil this bad, could your body type determine how you handle the 44 magnum ? I am not bragging but there is certain things that people with long arms can do that are more difficult for short arms type person, try picking a chair up by one leg is one example

robert baccus
11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Actually I picked up the thing very casually in one hand like it was a normal pistol (my funny friends somehow forgot to warn me) and I thought the thing had blown up. I'd shot all the normal calibers including the 357 but I never dreamed a pistol could be that powerful.. I fired several rounds later with both hands and went back to my 22 and tried to look cool. Funny thing, later in the day I had a super lightweight Spanish 12 ga. double fowling piece double fire on me. Purple & red went almost down below my elbow--2&1/2 oz of lead in one shot. Time out for a toddy.

ray hampton
11-06-2013, 6:06 PM
Actually I picked up the thing very casually in one hand like it was a normal pistol (my funny friends somehow forgot to warn me) and I thought the thing had blown up. I'd shot all the normal calibers including the 357 but I never dreamed a pistol could be that powerful.. I fired several rounds later with both hands and went back to my 22 and tried to look cool. Funny thing, later in the day I had a super lightweight Spanish 12 ga. double fowling piece double fire on me. Purple & red went almost down below my elbow--2&1/2 oz of lead in one shot. Time out for a toddy.

maybe you will need two, the second one you will drink for me

Mike Cruz
11-06-2013, 6:49 PM
You know, you two COULD just PM each other... :D Actually, I'm enjoying how this thread morphed.

ray hampton
11-06-2013, 7:02 PM
You know, you two COULD just PM each other... :D Actually, I'm enjoying how this thread morphed.

Yes we could P M but then noone else would get to read the fine posts

Mel Fulks
11-06-2013, 7:28 PM
Best hijack save since Entabe.....,"Poison ivy coated bullets are dangerous to the guy being shot at ,and can give shooter itchy trigger finger"

robert baccus
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Cool for sure.

Gus Dundon
11-08-2013, 2:48 PM
+1 on Technu, it's very effective if you've contacted to poison ivy. Anyone have read the "Pens with Bite: Pens Made from
Poison Ivy"? Hmm, I haven't .

ray hampton
11-08-2013, 5:03 PM
I were watching a show about building airplanes and the show mention that lacquer are made from a plant that are in poison ivy -poison oak family

Dave Bunge
11-10-2013, 10:42 PM
I finally had time to work on the poison ivy covered cherry wood. The wood is all cut up and Anchorsealed, waiting to be turned. See picture below for the outcome.

The guy that I got the wood from had killed the poison ivy several years ago. The vine was actually dry rotted to the point that it was almost powdery. I was still concerned about the root hairs that were stuck to the bark, so I scraped them off with a paint scraper. I took a few extra precautions when cutting up the wood: wore my respirator and goggles, wore some nitrile gloves under a pair of work gloves, tossed the work gloves and washed all my clothes twice in hot water afterwards. Also used Technu when I washed up. Thanks Mike and Jim for that tip. So far 6 days and no itching, so I'll call part one a success.

I got some cherry from the same guy a couple of years ago, from a tree next to the one I'm writing about in this post. It had some of the nicest grain I've ever seen in cherry, see bowl pictures below. I hope the new wood has a similar grain. Maybe next weekend I'll get a chance to find out. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

Neal Daughtry
11-10-2013, 11:39 PM
I guess I am puzzled why anyone would want to risk getting poison ivy over some logs. To me it is not worth the risk. If for some reason you get it in your eyes or you inhale any and get it in your lungs it will be very painful.

Also do not burn it, the smoke can be toxic also.

Had a neighbor that burned some logs covered in poison ivy, he inhaled some of the smoke and it almost killed him.

Mike Cruz
11-11-2013, 6:52 AM
Looking good, Dave! And that is one sharp cherry bowl. Great grain orientation, and I love the beaded foot. Thought I can't see the profile, the form looks excellent, too!