PDA

View Full Version : JET 1221VS Lathe Opinions

Jeff Belany
10-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Been drooling over the JET 1221VS lathe for awhile now. Can get it for $799 several places with free shipping. Just waiting to sell a couple pieces of equipment before I can justify another lathe. I only do small work so the size is right. I'm really stuck on VS, won't consider any w/o it. Curious if any of you guys have bought / used one and what your comments, good or bad, are? Went to a woodturning show in Eau Claire, Wis. last weekend and had a chance to see one in use. Sure looks pretty nice. Vendor had one set up using a stand that allows for turning sitting in a desk chair with the lathe tilted forward. Looked like a cool idea, something I've thought of many times. Dealer also has a 'Black Friday' sale coming up where he will be discounting on that day only. Was told that JET has the $799 price fixed and that it will stay at that for some time.

Any comments / experience with this relatively new lathe would be appreciated.

BTW -- vendor ahd 3 Robust lathes on display -- man are they built like tanks with prices to match!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Dan Masshardt
10-30-2013, 1:03 PM
Jeff - I bought my 1221 this summer and I like just about everything about it.

What I don't like is the paint quality.

I turn lots of pen and small stuff as well as starting on some boxes and bowls recently. It will actually turn a decent sized hunk of green wood.

Dan Henry
10-30-2013, 8:50 PM
I have 2 fiends that have the 1221 and are very happy. I bought one at the Dallas Woodworking show last WE, on order should be here next week, can't wait. Jet did discount the lathe 15% at the show.

Dan

Robert Henrickson
10-30-2013, 10:17 PM
I have not used the Jet 1221 myself, but have watched two experienced professional woodturners working on one in extended demos at the local Woodcraft. It seems to be well-made and substantial lathe overall. The one negative comment both the turners made was that they were surprised that lathe took markedly longer to come up to speed, when started from a dead stop, than they were used to on other lathes. In one of these cases I was part of a two-turner demo, working a few feet way on another lathe (a Nova Comet II midi) at the same time for an entire day, while the other turner used the 1221. We traded comments on our impressions of the lathes. Both of us were using similar chucks, both of us were turning similar things -- spindles, finials, Christmas ornaments, and such things. The Nova would come up to speed noticeably quicker, even when I turned a 7-8" plate.

Dan Masshardt
10-30-2013, 11:18 PM
I have not used the Jet 1221 myself, but have watched two experienced professional woodturners working on one in extended demos at the local Woodcraft. It seems to be well-made and substantial lathe overall. The one negative comment both the turners made was that they were surprised that lathe took markedly longer to come up to speed, when started from a dead stop, than they were used to on other lathes. In one of these cases I was part of a two-turner demo, working a few feet way on another lathe (a Nova Comet II midi) at the same time for an entire day, while the other turner used the 1221. We traded comments on our impressions of the lathes. Both of us were using similar chucks, both of us were turning similar things -- spindles, finials, Christmas ornaments, and such things. The Nova would come up to speed noticeably quicker, even when I turned a 7-8" plate.

Yes. It does take a little longer. You get used to it quick. It's probably just a little safer that way.

Other tools like routers employ soft start.

It's literally just a few seconds though.

Jeff Belany
10-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the input. I'\m pretty sure I will order one when the discount is available on Black Friday. Now I just need to sell 2 smaller lathes I have so I can justify buying a new one.

Robert Henrickson
10-31-2013, 2:46 PM
I should know more about the 1221 by this time Saturday -- I just agreed to do a demo this weekend at Woodcraft. I will most likely be using the 1221 since it is near the front door.

Robert Henrickson
11-03-2013, 9:39 AM
Follow-up -- Spent 4 hours yesterday doing a demo at the local Woodcraft, using a 1221 and doing nutcrackers, so I was turning from 3x3x12 blanks. Solid and stable even for roughing square to cylinder, (mounted on the Jet stand, not sitting on a bench) and good for detail work. I had no problem with vibration etc. Although the slightly delayed spin-up to speed was noticeable, it was not a problem. What I did find more distracting, especially since I was doing a demo, was that turning the variable speed control to '0' did not bring the rotation to a halt, but slowed it to the lowest speed for that belt setting. Since I was doing a demo, I was stopping frequently to answer questions and explain. To stop rotation altogether, you have to hit the off switch. It probably was more notable to me than it might be to others since at home I turn on a 1642, and use the variable speed knob to stop rotation rather than the on/off. It was only the second time in 5-6 years that I have turned on a midi-size lathe, but the size difference from my usual was not noticeable while turning what I was.

Jeff Belany
11-03-2013, 3:54 PM
General consensus seems to be pretty good. Sold one of my lathes so a new 1221VS looks like it may be coming to my place. If I order with the 'Black Friday' discount it will same me a few $$. Now to get my other lathe sold. Need to sell it locally since I don't want to pack and ship it.

Thanks for the input. It was very much appreciated.

John RStegall
11-03-2013, 9:26 PM
I have had one for two years, no issues. Knowing what I know now, I would buy it again. I have no problem with how fast mine comes up to speed.

Jeff Belany
11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Ordered a 1221VS yesterday (got in on a 'Black Friday' sale) and was told it should ship today. If it does, I'll have a new lathe tomorrow!! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get the 125# box down my basement stairs. Then I need to get a stand built to put it on. Lots to do. Will give me things to pl;ay with this Winter.

Dwight Rutherford
11-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Open the box upstairs and carry the parts downstairs one at a time. Shouldn't be too hard.

Dan Masshardt
11-14-2013, 7:58 PM
The thing is a beast. Feels heavier than it is. You will get a better handle on it out if the bod to carry.

If you have a hand truck that will fit down, use that instead for the whole box.

Paul Engle
11-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Ordered a 1221VS yesterday (got in on a 'Black Friday' sale) and was told it should ship today. If it does, I'll have a new lathe tomorrow!! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get the 125# box down my basement stairs. Then I need to get a stand built to put it on. Lots to do. Will give me things to pl;ay with this Winter.

When I got my Jet 1236 , it was 90 feet to the shop and I was still recovering from 2nd heart attack ..I took the lathe completely apart and carried the pieces to the shop and then reassembled ... SWMBO was fruious at me but it worked and I survived ... mostly to this day ....

Dan Henry
11-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Got my 1221 last week and is a great t Lathe!!. I checked the spindle run out and the dial ind just wiggled a very small amount. The soft start will take some time to get used to, plenty of power and very smooth. I built a cabinet out 3/4 Mdf and have about a sheet and 1/2 half in the cabinet, makes the lathe very stable.

Dan