PDA

View Full Version : Early LV Honing Jig Review

Bob Johnson2
06-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Rx'ed the new MKII today, in short it looks and works as advertised. I haven't had a chance to sharpen with it other then a few dozen passes on a diamond plate just to try it out, as I'll be away for a few days I figured I'd post my early impressions.
The new unit seems to be a big improvement over the old model I have. Repeatability of blade placement seems to be good, it is held quite a bit more firmly, and when using the setup guide it comes out almost exactly square when checked with one of my steel engineer squares. As you can see from the images, it's about twice the size of the old one, you get a much more controlled grip on it. Weight is also double, 10 vs 20 oz's. As I haven't had time to sharpen anything I can't tell if the angles set by the guide are acurate. I'll add a note on Monday or Tuesday after I had a change to try it.
I mounted a 3/8" chisel and it will turn after it's clamped in the jig, but it takes roughly double the torque to do so then on the old model, the bigger blades (I tried a 1" and 1 1/2") hold quite steady, taking a good deal of effort to get them to turn. If you've used the old model you'll know this was not the case with that one. If you give it a bit of care It doesn't llok like doing the thin ones will be a problem, again I'll check that deeper early next week. The blade centering markings show it'll take up to 2 3/4", down to 1/4" The micro bevel is down the same way as the old model. The roller is twice the size making it much steadier in use (at least as much as I tried). That's about it for now, I appologize for now being abel to verify the actual sharpening quality, but I've only had it about an hour and I'm calling it a night. There are 8 images in all, so this will be 2 posts. Hope they work out...

Bob Johnson2
06-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Forgot to mention it may be possible to over tighten narrow blades, I see the clamping anvil bending a bit when I tightened it. Probably nothing to worry about but thought I'd mention it. Someone let me know if 8 images is overkill. Goodnight all...

Alan Turner
06-04-2005, 3:36 AM
Thanks for the early word, and the pix. I will look forward to more comments, but it seems to be a needed acquisition.

Matthew Springer
06-06-2005, 1:40 PM
A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

Bob Johnson2
06-07-2005, 5:52 PM
Used it last night to sharpen an old wooden plane blade that's about 2.75" wide, worked very well. Used the scary sharp system and removed the blade from the guide after each grit to hit the flat surfaces of the blade and put a curve on the cutting edge a bit. Realigned each time using the quide with no deviation from it's original setup. The angle guide seems to work as advertised, you just need to be careful to hold it snug against it while cranking down the thumbscrews. Found it's bigger size makes it much more comfortable to hold onto when doing prolonged sharpening. I'm happy with it.