PDA

View Full Version : BLO hardening

Jerry Olexa
10-29-2013, 3:12 PM
I have used the sanding, BLO, shellac finishing regimen for years on Cherry, walnut, etc. My current project calls for a couple raised panel doors...Following sanding, i applied BLO liberally to the 2 doors and then the second day, applied a coat on the reverse side of the R/P doors...Had a busy weekend and didn't get back to shop until today...First time I encountered this: (I did not wipe off excess BLO after applying) the BLO has hardened on the back panels to a rather thick , somewhat gooey coating..It will not wipe off...Any suggestions? Not a project killer. I could always sand down those 2 panel backs but is there an easier way/ If Shellac, solution would be simple but BLO different matter..Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Bruce Volden
10-29-2013, 3:38 PM
Jerry,
This has happened to me also! I tried thinner on it and it worked---sorta. What I liked best was using my RO sander on high with an old polishing bonnet. I first laid down some table saw shavings and then used the RO to "burnish" the piece--this worked well for me, however, expect somewhat of a high gloss finish.

Bruce

Prashun Patel
10-29-2013, 4:09 PM
It'll get harder to remove it as time goes by. Scrape what you can off with a scraper not sharp enough to cut into the wood. Then use mineral spirits to soften and remove the residue.

Jerry Olexa
10-29-2013, 9:15 PM
Gentlemen, I am pleased to announce: It is SOLVED!! Incorporating some of your suggestions, I first carefully scraped off the surface using a large new putty knife. Then cleaned, vacumed and wiped with mineral spirits...Then sanded w 220 grit ROS...Cleaned again. Reapplied LIGHT coat of oil and Wiped.. now drying..Much improved..Thank you for your ideas Prashun and Bruce...On to the next step. Wasn't a bad process..Total time about 30-40 minutes. Thanks again..