PDA

View Full Version : Some IT thoughts from a forum newbie

David Somers
10-29-2013, 2:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Soooo. I am less than a newbie when it comes to engravers since I don't even own one of these puppies yet. I have been using the forum to decide if this is the right thing for me, and to get a decent idea as to their capabilities and foibles, and also been using it to decide just what to throw my money at if I do make the leap. I am very grateful to everyone for the ability to browse through all your past discussions and for all the time you have spent answering my questions.

As a sub-newbie I can't contribute a great deal back to the forum. But one thing I can offer is a bit of computer advice. IT is my day job and I work on everything from end user support up through Local and Wide Area Networks and servers and routers and switches and VOIP, etc.

I noticed many of us are still using XP on the computers that are being used with our lasers. I wanted to remind everyone that April of 2014 is the drop dead date for XP; the date when XP will no longer be patched and receive security updates. After that time it will become more and more vulnerable to a virus or malware attack. Since many of us on the forum do this for a living infected computers could be very unfortunate on a lot of levels.

Keep in mind that even though XP is still being patched today it is becoming more vulnerable over time regardless. Security on a computer is really a combination of things; a fully patched current Operating System, an up to date antivirus package and malware package, a solid firewall, and some awareness on your part as to the web sites you go to and the things you open. I would rank a fully patched current Operating System at the top of the list of things protecting you, along with your firewall and your level of awareness. A fully patched Windows XP system is simply not as good at protecting itself as a fully patched Window 7 or Windows 8 system.

In fact, Microsoft just came out with its annual security research report and it clearly shows that XP, when fully patched, is being infected at roughly twice the rate of patched Windows 7 machines, and about 6 times the rate of patched Windows 8 machines. In other words, Windows XP can be a liability to you right now, well before its April drop dead date. If you are still using XP you should be giving some serious thought to upgrading.

I don't think I would suggest you go to Windows 8 yet for use with your lasers, but Windows 7 seems mature enough not to be causing you problems if this Forum is any indication. If you need to continue to use XP though at least do it with open eyes and awareness as to the risks you may be taking. And do give some serious thought to replacing it well ahead of the April date.

There are certainly valid reasons to stay on XP. Perhaps you have old equipment that simply does not communicate well with the newer Operating Systems. Perhaps you just don't have the dollars available to make the change. My real concern though is that you make that decision conciously, aware of the risks, and that you address the risks as best you can for your circumstances. Don't just let inertia dictate your path.

If you do need to continue using an XP system I think I would take time to insure it is a clean system, and then isolate it from the internet. You still have risks to it by transferring files back and forth to other machines that are on the internet, but at least your exposure is reduced some. And obviously keep your antivirus/anti-malware and firewalls current.

I hope this helps some of you. And many many thanks to you folks for all the kindly offered information.

Dave

George M. Perzel
10-29-2013, 2:29 PM
David;
Welcome to the SMC and thanks for the info. Unfortunately, some laser systems do not have driver support for anything beyond XP. One of my systems is so affected. The good thing is that refurbed XP systems are available dirt cheap and I have three such puppies on the shelf, the operating system imaged on a standalone hard disk, and the working system isolated from the rest of the world.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Jason Hilton
10-29-2013, 3:08 PM
I'm a User Experience Designer. Right now I spend most of my time designing iOS and web based application experiences and also do the occasional product interaction and hardware integration design work. While I save for my laser I've been analyzing the usability of different software drivers and tools from Trotec, Epilog, and Universal. Even the best software drivers and job control schemes currently available are sadly behind the times in terms of usability and ease of learning, not to mention platform support (Trotec just jumped in with an iOS app, good on ya!). I hope that laser companies are looking carefully at their software. Hardware is becoming less and less of a differentiator as time goes on, it's all about the customer experience. The manufacturer that accepts that fact first is going to pull ahead.

PS: If any of the manufacturers that frequent this forum are looking for an experience designer, I'd be happy to trade UX and app design for hardware ;)

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2013, 3:22 PM
One thing that needs pointing out is that, for a lot of us, the XP-based computer driving the laser almost never needs to access anything on the "dirty" side of the cable/DSL modem. In that context, not having to contact the Redmond mother ship for updates is a feature, not a bug.

David Somers
10-29-2013, 3:33 PM
George!

Sounds like you are ready for April!! Like you I still have a few machines around that require XP. They do remote sensing with old equipment that does not like the newer OS's, or even virtual machines and new hardware. We are waiting for the $$ to replace the devices, but that will be a long while coming in this budget climate. So....like you, we clean em up, grab spares just in case, and have isolated them from as much as we can. (including from our security people who would give birth to cows if they knew. And they are males!!!

Jason,

Good luck with the UED work. There is certainly a lot out there that needs some serious help. I will likely end up with a Chinese machine because of the $$. So long as I don't go look at a Trotec, Epilog, or Universal I will be OK. <grin> I have to admit, after working on computers and systems all day I enjoy my wood lathe. Press a button? It spins! Turn a dial? It spins faster!!!! Turn the dial more? It spins realllllllly fast, and then you go down to Home Depot and buy new overhead lights to replace the ones that helped stop the flying wood! Now that is a quality User Experience! <grin> Good luck to you!

Dave

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2013, 8:18 PM
I have to admit, after working on computers and systems all day I enjoy my wood lathe. Press a button? It spins! Turn a dial? It spins faster!!!! Turn the dial more? It spins realllllllly fast, and then you go down to Home Depot and buy new overhead lights to replace the ones that helped stop the flying wood! Now that is a quality User Experience!Back when I joined SMC, this forum was called "Laser Woodworking", although very few people posting to it actually did that. Look up some of my threads in the turners' forum: there is definitely an overlap between the lasers and woodworking/turning.

Dan Hintz
10-29-2013, 8:52 PM
In fact, Microsoft just came out with its annual security research report and it clearly shows that XP, when fully patched, is being infected at roughly twice the rate of patched Windows 7 machines, and about 6 times the rate of patched Windows 8 machines. In other words, Windows XP can be a liability to you right now, well before its April drop dead date. If you are still using XP you should be giving some serious thought to upgrading.
The virus writers have had significantly longer to find attack vectors on XP, and of course changes have been made between XP and 7 to cut down on the ability of a virus to get a foothold. As 7 gets longer in the tooth, trust me when I say the infection rates will increase. XP is on the majority of corporate systems, and these are rich targets for the bad guys, so there will be more infections (per capita).

I don't think I would suggest you go to Windows 8 yet for use with your lasers, but Windows 7 seems mature enough not to be causing you problems if this Forum is any indication.

Agreed. There are likely still some lingering problems with 7, but those will get ironed out over the next year or so. Upgrade if you can, but I certainly understand when many won't be able to.