PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Rockwell Bandsaw parts model 28-243

David Schrader
10-29-2013, 8:46 AM
Good Morning all,

I'm new to the forum and the site. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.

I recently acquired a Delta/Rockwell 14" Bandsaw, model 28-243. From what I've read, these are very common and workhorses of the shop and well made. It hadn't been used in over nine years. It was caked with sawdust. The table was thick with rust. It ran okay, considering it had been sitting so long. I've removed the table and with a wire brush, and fine 1500 grit sanding cloth, and NeverDull, got it cleaned up nicely and shining again. Should I protect it in any way to prevent rusting again?

The trunion unit is fine and clean. The upper and lower guide assemblies have some rust on them, but not really bad. How should I clean these pieces? same as the table? Also the guide blocks are shot. Favorite types of blocks? I've removed all of these pieces from the saw for easy cleaning. Wheels appear clean, no rust, any concern about the wheel bearings?

The tires are rubber and have rust stains on them from the blade sitting on them and rusting all these years. Rubber or Urethane? I've read many posts on the benefits of both.

The blade guide bearing should be replaced too, as they have some surface rust on them.

Where do you folks recommend I get these parts? Favorite suppliers, either online or brick and mortar store?

Thanks again for your help. There will be many more questions to come.

Dave

Cody Kemble
10-29-2013, 9:47 AM
Nice Find. Last year I came across a Delta/Rockwell jointer and love it. The Vintage Machinery website was an invaluable tool when I began revitalizing. They have reprinted manuals and a registry for the serial number of your machine. The jointer ran when I got it, but new bearings and a modern link belt really made things smoother. Ive seen some machines that have been stripped and completely repainted, but I liked the patina of the old machine. Good luck with your project and post some pictures when you're done.

Cody

Gus Dundon
10-29-2013, 5:13 PM
I always prefer urethane tires over rubber tires. You can get tires from ebay or ereplacements parts. If you need manual, check with bandsawmanuals dot com . They have manual for 28-243 . Clean the guides same method you did with your table. You can wire brush or use evaporust to remove the rust then give them a coat of WD-40. Check with carters too for other parts you need.

David Schrader
11-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Hey thanks Gus and Cody,

Gus, I tried going to bansawmanuals.com, but the site doesn't let you go further than the homepage. Any other sites you know of that might have a manual?
Thanks Dave

Sid Matheny
11-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Use this Link http://bandsawmanuals.com/

Sid