PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Rule and Level #26

Steve Rost
10-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I have had this plane for quite some time and never done anything with it. I would say it is in workable condition. There is only light checking on the nose and surface rust. My internet searches suggest it is not worth much as a collectors item as is. It would be worth it to me to make a new wood body and start using it. How do I clean and re-finish the metal parts and what is a "transitional plane" as that is how it is described.

Bill Houghton
10-28-2013, 11:32 PM
The term "transitional" came about because people thought these wood/metal planes were developed as an evolutionary progression from all-wood (but for the cutting iron and chipbreaker if present) to the all-metal (but for knob and tote) planes. This isn't quite true, but it is true that they helped conservative carpenters make the move from woodies.

Why make a new wood body? Is the old one warped?

I'd see if I could carefully remove the screws, keeping track of which one goes where, and clean the metal parts using any common method. I'm prone to white vinegar soaks, myself; it doesn't damage any remaining finish, but 24 hours in the vinegar will loosen rust, which you then brush off (toothbrush, or one of the fiber or brass detail brushes from the painter's aisle in your hardware store). Then wash the parts in lots of water to neutralize the vinegar, pat dry, and spray liberally with WD-40 to neutralize the water. Leaving out any of these steps will leave you with worse rust than before.

Lots of people like these planes.

Steve Rost
10-30-2013, 8:50 AM
Thanks, the body is not warped and is square, after thinking about it I will keep it and clean as suggested.

Zach Dillinger
10-30-2013, 8:59 AM
I have lots and lots of planes, but the only Stanleys I really like using are the transitionals. Good planes. My very first plane was a Union transitional jack plane. I still have it and it stills sees a little use.

Chris Griggs
10-30-2013, 9:07 AM
I too love transnationals. My 26 is my favorite plane to use for coarse work.

Jim Belair
10-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Sometimes the soles are quite worn (or gouged) but the bodies are straight. I have one like this and put an applied 1/8" sole on it, closing the mouth up a bit in the process.