PDA

View Full Version : Phishing email from Amazon?

Brian Elfert
10-28-2013, 8:17 PM
I got an email from Amazon today that they disabled my account because they believed I may have been a victim of a phishing attempt. It appears to be a legitimate email as I went through the message headers and everything looks legitimate. There are also no links to any non-Amazon websites. I can't log into my Amazon account right now.

Why would Amazon think I was the victim of a phishing attempt? I haven't even used the account in some months. I have not received any emails about my Amazon account or password for as long as I can remember. I would NEVER click on a link in an email like that if I even got one. I always go to the website itself directly if I think there is an account issue. Most of the time I can figure out from the email that it isn't legitimate and I ignore it.

Wade Lippman
10-28-2013, 9:20 PM
Have you asked Amazon?

David Weaver
10-28-2013, 9:46 PM
I'd ask amazon, too, and I'd roll my cursor over the email address and see if the name is just a spoof and the address underneath total garbage.

I've never heard of amazon disabling an account.

Scott Shepherd
10-29-2013, 7:53 AM
Did it look like this :

http://www.cybertopcops.com/amazon-phishing-scams-reactivate-your-account.php

If so, it's a scam. You can't log in to your account because someone has tried to log in too many times and it's locked your account.

Art Mann
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Chances are your account has been compromised. The email was bogus and your login actually just gave the crooks the information they needed to access your Amazon account. They logged in as you and changed the password so you can't immediately do anything about it. They have probably already ordered themselves a lot of merchandise in your name. Your best course of action is to call Amazon immediately and stop the carnage.

Brian Elfert
10-29-2013, 12:14 PM
It doesn't look like any of the scam emails in the link. I get my email sent to a Unix shell account. I was actually to read the raw text of the email. Everything looks like it came from Amazon. The email actually has no web link in it. It tells you to go to Amazon.com, and then follow specific steps to get to the forgot password page. Scammers usually put links in emails that go to nefarious web sites.

I went to the forgot password part of Amazon's site and was able to get a password reset email sent to my email account. If someone had broken into my account they probably would have changed the email address. I logged into my account with my new changed password and there are no orders on the account.

I think it was 100% legit, but why would Amazon think I was a victim of a phishing scam I wonder?