PDA

View Full Version : New jack plane for the till?

steven c newman
10-28-2013, 4:31 PM
well, two, actually. First one to show up was that Ohio Tool Co. 05c, with the red base. The other one is a bit different. First off, the base has a raised area, just behind the knob. Cast into that are the letters "SARGENT". Between the frog and the tote are the numbers 414, almost obscured by the thick japanning. The iron has the "hole' at the top of the slot. It also has a "Sargent" "No. 414" and a New haven stamped in to it. Has a nice mild camber, too. "bolts" for the handles have brass nuts on them. Handles are Mahoganey. Bottom is nicely grooved. Now the fun part: Under the lever cap is the number "409", and there are two center ribs. The lever cap also has "SARGENT" inscribed inside a square. The "S" looking more like an 8. Under side of the frog also has a 409 cast into it. No frog adjust screw. Lateral lever has the usual double bend end. All of this for just $12, delivered to my door. Might be a keeper???:confused:

bridger berdel
10-28-2013, 5:05 PM
pics or it didn't happen.

steven c newman
10-28-2013, 5:33 PM
Need new AAA batteries for the camera, first off. Then find a way to post them on this Public Library computer system. Japanning is about 60% there. Debating on a new paint job for it....

Chris Griggs
10-28-2013, 7:49 PM
What you describe sounds like standard Sargent jack. The Sargents are nice planes. The VBMs in particular are nice but the non VBM can be quite nice too. I have a VBM 424 (no 8) that's a pretty darn good plane (though I'll probably sell it cause if I ever figure our how to box it, as I don't use it much). None of Sargents had frog screws, also I've read elsewhere of the frogs of the 414 (no 5 size) saying 409 (no 4 size) on them, as it's the same size frog. I believe they made them that way rather than bothering with a different stamp on the same frog.

Should turn into a nice user.

steven c newman
11-01-2013, 11:29 AM
A few looks at this old plane274104274105274106274107and back together274108274109Had to add some black, as most of the old was gone. iron does have a nice little camber, as it came. Just sharpened the edge back up.