PDA

View Full Version : Making some veneer that is driving me nuts.... !!!

Bill Huber
10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I had to make it in 2 halves so I could resaw it and I do not have a riser on my band saw.

The problem is when I went to fit them together they don't fit like I would like them to fit. I have been working on it and trying to sand the point at which they touch but I am not having much luck. Plus just looking at it kind of screws your head up a little.

So now I was thinking I could make some filler out of walnut sanding dust and glue and just fill the gaps, then sand it to finish. The veneer will be glued to a 1/4" MDF board when I am finished.

Is there any better ideas on doing this????

The second picture is 4 strips, I made 2 and then resawed them both.

Mike Henderson
10-28-2013, 12:07 PM
I've found that there are a couple of things that are very important in doing Louis cubes:

1. The angles must be very accurate. I set up my jig using a plastic drawing square.

2. When I lay the pieces, I start in the middle and work out, making very small adjustments, if needed (see #1).

The problem with Louis cubes is accumulated error. If you're off by even the smallest amount, that amount will be twice after you've laid three pieces, three times after you've laid four pieces, etc. You have to deal with the error piece-by-piece, or you have to have zero error in cutting your pieces.

Mike

Bill Huber
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I've found that there are a couple of things that are very important in doing Louis cubes:

1. The angles must be very accurate. I set up my jig using a plastic drawing square.

2. When I lay the pieces, I start in the middle and work out, making very small adjustments, if needed (see #1).

The problem with Louis cubes is accumulated error. If you're off by even the smallest amount, that amount will be twice after you've laid three pieces, three times after you've laid four pieces, etc. You have to deal with the error piece-by-piece, or you have to have zero error in cutting your pieces.

Mike

The dry fit worked really well and everything was lined up really good. I think the problem was how tight I pressed the parts together, if I didn't press real hard on one and then pressed real hard on the next the glue will be thicker on one and not as thick on the other and that would make the error.

So now how to fix it, the filler is the only way at this point I can see to do it.

Mike Henderson
10-28-2013, 1:53 PM
The dry fit worked really well and everything was lined up really good. I think the problem was how tight I pressed the parts together, if I didn't press real hard on one and then pressed real hard on the next the glue will be thicker on one and not as thick on the other and that would make the error.

So now how to fix it, the filler is the only way at this point I can see to do it.
I do mine a bit different. I cut the pieces and then lay them, taping the seams with blue tape as I put the pieces together. When I finish putting the pieces together, I turn the panel over and cover the whole surface with veneer tape (eventually removing the blue tape). Then, I trim to size, add the border and press (glue) it to the substrate.

I've never tried to do it the way you did it.

Mike

[I will point out that Louis cubes are one of the most difficult patterns to lay in veneer work (without visible gaps in the seams, that is). I've attached a picture of a Louis cubes panel I did some years ago. It's smaller than what you are doing so it was somewhat easier.]

Bill Huber
10-28-2013, 2:22 PM
Mike, I like the way you do yours and I just may have to give that a try.

Gluing up each little one is a real pain and I think the way you do it is a much better way.

Thanks....

Mike Henderson
10-28-2013, 3:16 PM
Not that I'm an expert but I'll try to put together a tutorial on the way I do Louis cubes sometime soon. I think I took pictures the last time I did a Louis cube pattern but never turned it into a tutorial.

Mike

glenn bradley
10-28-2013, 3:38 PM
Mike, I like the way you do yours and I just may have to give that a try.

Not that I'm an expert but I'll try to put together a tutorial on the way I do Louis cubes sometime soon.

I too would like to see that. I figure if you get a couple clever guys like Mike and Bill together, the resulting discussion is gonna be worth checking out :).

Jeff Duncan
10-29-2013, 9:59 AM
I think filler is going to be the easiest way. I'm not positive as I can't see the whole edge in your picture, but it looks as though the seam is fairly consistent from end to end? If so and you have the patience for it you could simply scribe the two halves together. Using a sharp chisel plane, or just a chisel itself for the matter, remove a little material from where the pieces are touching in order to allow the pieces that are not to come closer together. May take you a couple hours, but would eliminate the need for filler;)

good luck,
JeffD

Mike Henderson
11-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I put together a first cut at a tutorial on making Louis cubes here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/LouisCubes.htm). Comments, corrections, suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm going to add to it to show how to add the banding and a border. Maybe over the next few days.

Mike

[Edit: I added a picture of the Louis Cubes created in the tutorial. I'll try to do more on the tutorial soon.]

Alan Lightstone
11-02-2013, 9:45 AM
Mike:

Just looked at your tutorial, as well as your website. All I can say is wow!!! Very, very impressive work.

I never got a chance to take a marquetry workshop from Paul Schurch (though I've religiously watched his DVDs and bought a number of tools from him). I bet that was a great experience.

I'm putting the Louis cubes on my to-do list to give a try. I'll use your method and see how it works in my hands.

Some of those serving tray ideas are far higher up my list. Absolutely striking. I'm scared to show them to my wife, or I'll have to abandon my present project.

Thanks again for all the tutorials and advise here. Always helpful.

Bill Huber
11-02-2013, 9:59 AM
I put together a first cut at a tutorial on making Louis cubes here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/LouisCubes.htm). Comments, corrections, suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike

Thank you very much for all the work....

I start out with 3/8" stock and then cut it on the band saw, I think the way you are doing it would be much better and I would not have to use the band saw to cut it down and could make it all in one sheet.

The sticky paper I think is the key, it would make it so much easier then the way I have been doing it, with wax paper and gluing them together.

I guess I will order some veneer and go by Staples and get some sticky paper and start over. I have to start over anyway because when I glued my 2 halves together I screwed up and flip one over.

I am going to use the finished product as a top for a box.

Again thank you.....

Mike Henderson
11-02-2013, 1:31 PM
This is a bit off subject. Louis Cubes are one of the most difficult parquetry designs to lay. But basket weave is one of the easiest. For those who are interested in veneer work and parquetry, would you be interested in a tutorial on how to lay basket weave?

Mike

Keith Hankins
11-02-2013, 1:38 PM
Great! I bookmarked your tutorial. Makes me want to try it! Thanks for doing it and sharing!