PDA

View Full Version : Close to getting a Oneway 1224

Jim Leslie
10-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm seriously close to getting another lathe, but having only Vicmarc experiences (all excellent ones for 6 years!!) switching to another brand is not something I do lightly. The 1224 fits the space and lifestyle otherwise I would not switch.
I was wondering if anyone may have any experiences [good/bad] to help in the decision making? Specifically the motor control, vibration, bearing heating, etc.

Reed Gray
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
One of the near by clubs has one for their demo lathe. I have used it a few times and think it is a nice lathe, but for some reason it seems way underpowered for a 1 hp lathe.

robo hippy

Steve Peterson
10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I moved up from an old Delta 46-700 reeves drive lathe to a Oneway 1224 and have been extremely happy. On paper, both have similar specs (12" swing, variable speed, ~1hp, etc.). However, every single item on the Oneway is a step up from the Delta.

Electronic speed control is much nicer on the Oneway. I do not recall ever stalling the motor, although I have caused the belt to slip occasionally.

I love being able to turn the speed down to near zero when applying friction polish and quickly dial the speed back up to 1000 rpm. It would be nice to have an rpm readout. I picked up a $20 handheld frequency counter to calibrate the numbers on the dial, but usually just adjust the speed by feel.

The weight with the standard cabinet seems perfect for a 12" lathe. I have around 100 pounds of added mass and it does not vibrate on anything I turn. It can be bolted to the floor or a lot of ballast can be added if needed.

The mechanical aspects of the Oneway appear perfectly designed. The 3 bearing spindle works great. The locking mechanism on the banjo always gives a solid lock. I have not had any mechanical issues.

There are a few times that I wish I had a larger swing, but any larger lathes with the same quality of the Oneway 1224 are incredibly more expensive. I am very happy with my purchase.

Steve

Steve Peterson
10-28-2013, 1:28 PM
One of the near by clubs has one for their demo lathe. I have used it a few times and think it is a nice lathe, but for some reason it seems way underpowered for a 1 hp lathe.

robo hippy

Reed, Your experiences are completely different from mine. I am a hobby turner and I believe you are a production turner that is used to working on much larger lathes. You probably take much bigger bites than I do. :)

My lathe is an older version with speed ranges of 0-1200 and 0-4000 rpm. The new version has pulleys designed for 0-2000 and 0-4000 rpm. There is a mechanical advantage with the older 0-1200 speed range vs the new design. There are a few times where I rough out in low speed and then desire more than 1200 rpm for finishing. I like the older pulley ratios and am willing to live with one speed change between roughing out and finishing.

Steve

Brian Libby
10-28-2013, 2:27 PM
I believe that Marc Adam School of Woodworking has several oneway 1224's

Reed Gray
10-28-2013, 3:48 PM
I do believe it is an older version. I had a 4 speed Atlas that I put a 1 hp motor on, and it had way more torque than the Oneway 1224. I did try it on slow speed range, and high speed range. I have noticed other turners experience stalling with it. I do not have a lot of experience on lathes with smaller motors, and I do like to hog off material. It is well made, but I wouldn't have one. Not having a sliding headstock is another reason. I would consider it great for spindle and smaller hollow forms, but not so great for bowls.

robo hippy

Jim Leslie
10-28-2013, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the input; I had not considered the 0-2000 / 0-4000 rpm thing. Most of my turning is around 2000 rpm & occasionally 2200-2300. Having a digital readout on the Vicmarc has spoiled me somewhat, but after many years of going by "feel" that would not be a show-stopper for me. Since I now do smaller work including small bowls up to 5" and spindles up to 14", it made sense that the 1224 was "right-sized" for what I want to do. I also want to do some small off-center work up to 5-6 inches, so may want to add some mass to the shelf. I have no delusions of 10"-12" bowls though! Reliability and support are big concerns with me. The smoothness and quiet of the Vicmarc has definitely set the bar pretty high!

Dale Winburn
10-29-2013, 4:38 PM
Just ordered a Oneway 1224 two weeks ago, Christmas present from my wife. I was told it would be about two months wait. Hope to get it before Christmas. Don't need a bigger lathe for bowls, I use my home made bowl lathe for all my bowls.

Royce Wallace
10-29-2013, 7:41 PM
I'm seriously close to getting another lathe, but having only Vicmarc experiences (all excellent ones for 6 years!!) switching to another brand is not something I do lightly. The 1224 fits the space and lifestyle otherwise I would not switch.
I was wondering if anyone may have any experiences [good/bad] to help in the decision making? Specifically the motor control, vibration, bearing heating, etc.

I own two Oneways. A good friend owns a 1224 which is very active. In my opinion no one builds a better, or equal, lathe--period, as the saying go's. Ihve turned on most lathes out there over the years--I would not trade my Oneway for any other. Royce Wallace

Jim Leslie
10-30-2013, 1:17 AM
I finally decided tonight and I will be placing an order for the 1224 tomorrow morning. Also my son gets my Vicmarc so we will have 2 lathes in the family. Now I can't wait for it to arrive!