PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a project

John Harris
06-03-2005, 8:52 PM
Here's a quick question for the pros. How do you mount a 5" x 5" x 3/4" piece of wood on a lathe? Can I mount a piece of scrap wood with screws and then use double sided tape? Do I have to glue scrap to the piece?

Sorry for such a basic question. I'm just getting started.

John

Bill Esposito
06-03-2005, 9:23 PM
Personally I'd use a glue block...but I'm not a pro. :)

Jim Becker
06-03-2005, 10:25 PM
My preference would also be a glue block that is mounted to a faceplate or in a chuck. This preserves all of the depth of your blank and also gives you room to work.

Brad Schmid
06-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi John,

I also use a glue block screwed to a faceplate, then turned round. By the sounds of it you're turning a small platter?? If so, when I do this, I use 3 spots of hot melt glue spaced evenly around the glue block. Using only 3 spots makes it easier to mount it true. When time to unmount, I use a very thin putty knife and mallet to separate. BTW - there are several strengths of hotmelt sticks (i think i have 3 or 4). Depending on size/weight, I'll use different ones (ie. hot melt super for large/heavy, regular for lighter, etc.). Always using the tailstock when possible of course. I have never had one come loose and I've used this method up to 18" platters.

Cheers,
Brad

John Harris
06-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Brad. A platter is exactly what I'm doing. I appreciate the tips, I will certainly try it out.