PDA

View Full Version : Rigid bandsaw dust collection modification

Paul Saffold
10-28-2013, 9:00 AM
There have been many good postings about bandsaw dust collection here but this is my version. I got motivated from a tip by Richard Babbitt in FWW's "Tools & Shops" winter 2014 issue that just came last week.

I mounted my version in the back so it does not need to be removed to tilt the table. There isn't enough room for an endcap on the PVC under the table so I cut a piece of schedule 20, warmed and flattened it then cemented it on. I heated the pipe and pressed a depression in it to clear the bottom edge of the table. To make the 2" pipe fit a hose adapter for my Sears vac, I cut slots a few slots with a Shark pullsaw, heated it and bent it to shape with a hose clamp. I tried cementing it first but that didn't work so a couple of turns with electrical tape sealed the slits. The hole was cut with a Forsner bit and cleaned up with a chairsaw file. The section under the table slips off for blade changes. None of the fittings are cemented. The block with a machine screw is for positioning it close to different width blades. I drilled and tapped the cast iron to attach the mounting blocks. As has been mentioned by others here, it is very important to have the suction very close to the blade and directly under the table. It works really well and was worth the time to make. Thanks for looking.

Paul

Herb Stoops
10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
I have been toying with a way to collect the dust off my Ridgid 14002 saw. Does your saw have a lower hole around the bottom wheel to suck the sawdust out, or does this set up take care of that? The lower door is cut out for a vac port at the top , but there is none there. The parts list shows one for it. The grizzly saw which is almost identical has a hole through the back of the casting to draw the dust from the lower wheel. You must have the deluxe model as you have red/orange thumb knobs for the cool blocks, mine are grey. Good show, as long as it works, that is what it is all about, these saws can throw a lot of dust. Thanks for posting it gives me some ideas. Herb

Rich Enders
10-28-2013, 2:43 PM
Herb,

I have the Ridgid 14002, and it has the dust collection port that you referred to. I have attached two photos showing the lower door open, and closed.

I had not opened that door since I changed blades to accommodate a riser block about 6 months ago. I vacuumed everything to look good for the pictures, but surprisingly there was not
much sawdust in the lower wheel compartment, and during the past 6 months there was one 4 month period of almost daily use. I turned an adapter to fit a Fein shop vac into the port, but I still see sawdust always on top of the dust port.

Paul Saffold
10-28-2013, 5:22 PM
Herb & Rich,
I had to go look, mine is a 14000. I've had it about 10 years. The modification I made isn't perfect but is a huge difference. As you can see in the pictures, there is still some dust on the frame outside the saw and a very small amount inside the lower wheel housing. I am using a 15+ year old sears vac. I suspect it would be some better with a better vac but that's what I have.
The other mods I did are a Mule fence, a segmented belt, and an adjustable motor mount that I posted a couple of years ago.
Paul

Rich Enders
10-28-2013, 7:23 PM
Paul,

I replaced my old Sears vac with a Fein. The Fein sound level is vastly more agreeable, but I think I lost ground on the suction side of the deal.

Bruce Wrenn
10-28-2013, 8:53 PM
I had a Top Tip in Wood a couple years back on DC for 14" band saws. No cutting involved. It should be available somewhere on the internet.

Paul Saffold
10-28-2013, 9:46 PM
Rich that is interesting. Not what I would have expected.

Herb Stoops
10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Rich and Paul , I took your word for it and ordered a Ridgid dust port for the door. I bought mine a year ago off Craigs list and it was in almost new condition, but no manual. I downloaded one off the internet. I installed a riser block and a Kreig fence and micro adjuster like I had on my previous BS. Also I installed new tires and a woodslicer type blade that cuts effortlessly through 8" of dry maple like it wasn't even there. Herb