PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman or Skil routers?

Joe Shinall
10-27-2013, 9:38 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a couple of routers to add to my collection to use for specific setups. I haven't been able to find anything on craigslist or ebay worth the price used so I was looking at Craftsman and Skil routers (new). They're affordable but I don't know how good they are. I'm mainly looking at plunge base for sign templates. Power isn't that big of an issue because I'm not taking out a lot of material each cut.

Does anyone have any reviews on any of the new Skil or Craftsman plunge routers? Mainly the ones less than a hundred bucks? Fixed base model reviews would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Harold Burrell
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Alright...another cheap guy...I like you already. :)

My first router purchases were a Craftsman fixed base and a Ryobi plunge. Both have served me well. I have no experience with a "Skil" anything.

I have since added to my router collection with a Bosch 1617 and a 3+hp Triton. Those are nice machines as well, but I never hesitate to grab any of my routers.

So...I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Craftsman again. However, you might also check out the Ryobi.

Stew Hagerty
10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I have the big Craftsman Professional 2.5hp router. It comes with fixed & plunge base (in fact when I bought mine it also came with a D-Grip base as well) for less than $145.

I have a PC 7518 that I leave installed in in my Incra table, and I use the Craftsman for all of my handheld needs. I would highly recommend it.

Although, I am personally craving one of the small PC or DeWalt kits for lighter duty work.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Cheap guys unite!

The only caution that I have to say, is if you buy a Craftsman router, be aware that if you buy a Craftsman router accessory, it MAY NOT FIT. I think it's because they don't actually make the power tool, but simply re-brand another companys router. So, be aware, especially since I think you may want to buy that nifty multipurpose base that I did buy. Which does not fit the router.

John McClanahan
10-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Several years ago I bought a 2 base Craftsman router with the large plastic depth adjustment ring. When using the router with fixed base in my router table, fine sawdust would get in around the ring to the point it would not turn. I had quite a time getting the motor out of the base. I sold the router after that. I now have a DeWalt and Porter Cable that have the same type of ring, but don't have that problem.

I currently have a 2 hp Craftsman plunge router (don't remember the model) in my router table. It has soft start and variable speed. I wish I could remove the handles as they make removing the router plate a bit tricky. But like it otherwise.

John

Joe Shinall
10-28-2013, 6:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yes I am a cheapy. :o I can't see spending 200+ on a router that is just used for small cuts. I have a Bosch 1617 that I use all the time but looking for something so I can dedicate this one to the larger projects and keep the others setup for signs or roundovers.

The last 3 Ryobi tools I have owned died within 6 months so I just don't want to go that route again. I think I'll stick with the Craftsman and give it a go. Thanks again!

pat warner
10-28-2013, 6:19 PM
Like printers, where the ink is where the money is, routers are cheap, new or used.
Moreover, they're so cheap, some mfg's will take a loss to get you hooked on their cutters
or the rest of their tools in their catalog.
In my view, buy the best. They cost no >3 or 4 cutters. The cutters are where the money is.
Your router, just like your printer, will be routing long after your cutters are dead ducks.
Buy a used cheap router and it might be that the cutters will out last the router.

Kenneth Walton
10-28-2013, 7:02 PM
I have two of the craftsman professional 2.5 horse routers - one for handheld and the other mounted permanently in my router table. They do everything I ask for, except maybe better dust collection? I'd also like a better switch design and better power cable connection, but that's about it. No problems with a year of use each.