PDA

View Full Version : Odd Wood - Small Scale

Pete Simmons
06-03-2005, 6:18 PM
Some odd things can be a fine piece of wood. This pen is made from a Protea Pod.

Protea are part of the Banksias family. There are 75 Banksia species, and all but one occur naturally only in Australia. Banksias were named after Sir Joseph Banks (1743-1820), who, in 1770, was the first European to collect specimens of these plants. He was the surgeon on Captain Cooks ship and after discovering banksias in Australia he expected to find them in Hawaii but didn't. Ironically, about thirty years ago many varieties of Protea, including Banksias were introduced to Maui. South western Australia contains the greatest diversity of banksias. The Banksia flower heads are made up of hundreds (sometimes thousands) of tiny individual flowers grouped together. The fruits of banksias (called follicles, or pods) are hard and woody and are often grouped together to resemble cones (which they are not, true cones are produced only by conifers). The fruits protect the seeds from foraging animals and from fire. In many species the fruits will not open until they have been burnt or completely dried out. The fruit of the Protea Integrifolia obtained from a friend in California, is what I used to make this pen. Beautiful to look at but very hard to work with. The core center wood of the pod is as hard a wood as any I work with. They also take a lot of filling of the holes ( CA glue and Protesa dust ) so much that at times I think I am a Dentist.
The white veins are not clear in the picture but they almost look like flames you might see on the side of an auto.

http://www.woodpenman.com/images/podgent.jpg

Vaughn McMillan
06-03-2005, 6:37 PM
Very cool. Pete. I worked (painting greenhouses and outbuildings) one summer at a protea farm in North San Diego County, and ever since then, I've had a great appreciation of proteas. I knew the flowers dried very nively, but wasn't aware the fruit was hard enough to turn. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2005, 7:20 PM
Very cool looking piece. Thanks for sharing.

Corey

Jeff Sudmeier
06-05-2005, 4:30 PM
Pete,

That looks great!! I'd bet that those pods aren't much fun to turn... lots of care. If it looks better than in the pics, WOW!!