PDA

View Full Version : Need Sprayer Recommendation Please

John TenEyck
10-27-2013, 8:11 PM
I spray mostly dyes, shellac, and WB topcoats, and my cheap gravity feed HVLP guns work pretty well. However, the largest orifice one is 1.8 mm, and I have to thin anything above about 50 seconds through a Ford #4 cup. Some of the clear coats I use are 65 seconds and a couple of the paints I've used are off the chart. Most of my needs relate to clear coats but I'd also like to spray those thicker paints, too, though likely not nearly as often.

With that as background, what are my options? I'm mostly a hobbiest, and probably spray about 5 gallons of clear coats a year. Paint would be even less. Thanks in advance.

John

Bill Neely
10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
John,

I think a pressure feed gun with a small remote pot is as good as you can get without spending a lot more money. They're also handy to use without a paint cup hanging from them.

Bill

John TenEyck
10-28-2013, 3:43 PM
I think you're probably right Bill. Do you or anyone else have any experience with the Qualspray AM-6008 gun from Homestead Finishing? http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/qualspray.htm#guns One gun that should spray just about everything with the 3 tips, and you can either use the pressure cup or a separate pressure pot. I really like the idea of getting a gun that I can run off a separate pot to make it easier to get inside of cabinets, even though clean up is more hassle.

What other options are there, or what other guns should I be considering?

John

Bill Neely
10-28-2013, 10:31 PM
That gun looks identical to the Asturo X series gun that I have, probably made on the same assembly line. It works great, if you buy it without the pressurized cup any 2 quart remote pressure cup will work fine. Going up the desirability ladder for remote cups includes stainless p/u tube and fittings, ability to use liners. Having a second regulator on the tank for gun air pressure doesn't seem necessary to me. I noticed that the n/n sets for Homestead's gun are considerably less expensive than the Asturo so that's a plus.

Bill

John TenEyck
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks Bill. Homestead used to sell Asturo and Qualspray is their own line, so Asturo might be the actual manufacturer. In any case, I'm probably going to go with that gun set and then add a separate pressure pot when the first big job justifies it. Thanks for your advise.

John