PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell if this is a good disston or not

Brian Ashton
10-27-2013, 7:50 AM
Just picked it up and not sure about what model it is... It looks like it's relatively new and feels like its mid priced...

Archie England
10-27-2013, 8:35 AM
Good in this case will be relative to how it performs, as well as to how well you tune it. With that said, no, this newer handsaw will not likely match the quality of the older ones. BUT, I've tuned several and after a good sharpening, they work very well. If you don't like it, you can always scrap it for scraper blades. Do give it some tuning, first however. Just my 2 cents.

Jared Sankovich
10-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Looks like a HK porter era Disston from the medallion.

David Weaver
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
It's not a "good" saw compared to the turn of the century disstons, but it will be fine once you clean and sharpen it.

Jim Koepke
10-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Having many saws from which to choose, my one like this is mostly used in the wood shed on firewood.

It is an okay saw, it is just that firewood needs sawing so this one gets the job.

jtk

Brian Ashton
10-28-2013, 9:22 AM
Having many saws from which to choose, my one like this is mostly used in the wood shed on firewood.

It is an okay saw, it is just that firewood needs sawing so this one gets the job.

jtk

That about sums it up then LOL.

Other answers were great to read but this one takes the cake.

David Weaver
10-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Sharpen it and use it a little, you might be surprised. I've found those newer saws to be a bit soft, but they still do work fine. What's a bigger issue to me is the orientation of the handle and the plate. The geometrics of the whole deal seem to leave a bit to be desired (blocky handle, funny orientation and a light or at least not quite as stiff plate) when compared to something like a full plated D8, #7 or (of course) a #12. Feels a bit like you're doing the work instead of the saw.

The fact that they're a little softer doesn't matter too much when you're the one sharpening. If anything, it extends file life.