PDA

View Full Version : Band saw advice please

James Tibbetts
10-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Found a G0555 local on Craig's list today. It came with mobile base, 6" riser kit,(new in box never installed yet), couple extra blades and not a scratch or barely any dust on it.
What would you folks suggest to tune it to top performance for what it is?

Jim

Mike Cutler
10-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Jim

A few good blades.
A 1/2" carbide, 2-3 TPI for resaw, A nice 3/8" 6-8 TPi, and an 1/8" 6-8 TPI. Buy quality blades, and you'd be surprised at the niggling little problems that will correct themselves. My favorites are lennox for resaw, and Timberwolves for the other stuff. Others will have differing opinions.
Don't drive yourself bonkers tuning a saw that you haven't used yet. Let the cuts tell you what to do.

Matt Day
10-27-2013, 9:15 AM
See what kind if tension spring the saw has too, and replace with carter (or sim.) if necessary. Dust collection might need some upgrading too.

Curt Harms
10-28-2013, 8:23 AM
Agree on good blades. Most 'big box' stores are not going to be a source for top notch blades. Commonly recommended sources are Highland Woodworking (woodslicer) Spectrum Supply (Lenox, Kerfmaster -like woodslicer), woodcraftbands.com, I'm pretty happy with supercutbandsaw.com. There are other suppliers as good or better, these come to mind.

John McClanahan
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Use up the blades that come with it before installing the riser kit. :D

John

Gus Dundon
10-29-2013, 5:26 PM
It's a good saw. Check out Alex's Snodgrass video on youtube. I have Lennox, Haltbar and Starrett blades.

Jim Finn
10-29-2013, 6:59 PM
I tossed the blade that came with my GO555 and installed the riser right away. I use it mainly for re-sawing and have tried woodslicer blades and they do a good job but do not last too long. I now use 1/2" carbide blades from Grizzly and like them.

Paul Schaefer
10-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Get Mark Duginske's bandsaw book and follow the chapter on tuning. I've gotten good results with his guidance on my cheap HF 14" saw.

Jim Rimmer
10-30-2013, 1:16 PM
Get Mark Duginske's bandsaw book and follow the chapter on tuning. I've gotten good results with his guidance on my cheap HF 14" saw.
+1 on the book. Best investment you will make for your band saw.