PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre sales inquiry

Sal Kurban
10-26-2013, 8:59 PM
I had a very bizarre experience trying to sell an industrial woodworking machine. I listed in regional CL for thousands of dollars (per forum rules I am not revealing make brand condition etc). A lady from Chicago calls and asks very specific questions and I answered the questions via email relay. Not satisfied, she forwarded her number and wanted to discuss the machine further. I called her (she has a West African name and the number was a cellular number in Chicago) and speaking with a heavy African accent, she said she needed to ship the machine to Africa.

In the conversation she asked very specific questions about size and specs and I answered accordingly. She also was interested in trying the machine before buying and went on to negotiate a price. She said she needed to speak to her husband and she would get back with me in the evening. In the evening, she called back and wanted to make an arrangement to pick the machine the next day or so. I said I was not available the next day so it had to be Friday, and she did call me on Wednesday about the trip which is about 5 hours. She was asking if it was OK for her to take the bus and see the machine and if she liked it, to rent a U-haul and such. She also said she should perhaps ask her friend to borrow a Jeep and bring a trailer. I said this was beyond the capability of a Jeep because of the weight. Anyhow, I never believed this to be a bona fide transaction but she kept calling till Friday, after which she just gave up.

I am puzzled as to why would anyone waste their time and what the motive would be... After all, once you mention shipping to Africa you raise a red flag... In all the conversation, no other business transaction, no bank account info, no gold dust and no dormant account issue came up. Very specific questions about the machine and nothing else...

Anyone with a similar experience?

Sal.

Lee Schierer
10-27-2013, 8:29 AM
It could have been legit. I would have insisted on a cash transaction in small denomination bills and would have been prepared with one of those bill checking pens.

Mark Bolton
10-27-2013, 9:07 AM
A friend moved a tractor trailer via an outfit that purchased equipment all of which went to Africa.

Perhaps she was working with someone there trying to setup some type of shop. Didn't seem like it was anything to be too over the top about.

I am cautions of nearly any private sale regardless of accent or country of origin.

The bummer is no sale..

John McClanahan
10-27-2013, 9:29 AM
I had just the opposite. I was selling a large motorcycle on CL. I received a call from a woman who tried to ask questions about it, but knew nothing about motorcycles. When I asked where she was located, she replied "Miami". I came real close hanging up, but decided to play along. Turned out she was calling for her husband and Miami was a small town across the state. They ended up being the new owners.

John

Dan Hintz
10-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Anyone who is willing to show up in person and pay cash (hundreds are fine) is acceptable to me. What they do with it after that is irrelevant, just pay me cash. Paying cash for something you get to see/try in person, even for a $20k piece of equipment, is not difficult, so if they balk I ignore them.

Sal Kurban
10-27-2013, 8:19 PM
It is good to know that this may have been a legit attempt to buy the machine. I was puzzled though the lady who was ready to ship international long distance did not have a clue as to how to get the machine to Chicago. Couple of weeks back, someone wanted to speak about the machine and I gave them my phone number (it is actually a Google Voice number which forwards the message to my cell phone) which turned out to be a scam attempt. The person then texted me the following message (quoting ad verbatim):

"You have(...) to contact our office in reference to this complaint that is being filed against you. You have been named as a respondent and may have to appear the order show calls contains a restraining order. You or your attorney will have 24 hours to oppose this matter failure to respond will result in the contacting of your employer to verify your appointment. Please contact us AT (216) 217-5984 (tel:%28216%29%20217-5984) or press 9, to speak to a litigator. Once again, my phone number is (216) 217-5984 (tel:%28216%29%20217-5984). "

Sal.

David Weaver
10-27-2013, 8:37 PM
I doubt it was legit. given that nearly all of the phone scams originate from africa and often have local political support, I'm sure they could google about the machine and ask about specs and spoof a phone number to make it look like they were from chicago. They may even have a chicago phone to do the same.

I would imagine that at the last second, you would've gotten a request to say that she couldn't make it and that she'd like to know where to send the money, and it would turn into a regular fraud issue where she'd send you more than you asked for.

The odds are just against it being a legitimate request.

Joe Hillmann
10-28-2013, 1:28 PM
I had a similar experience when trying to sell a car. They kept calling to say they couldn't make it such and such day and asked if they could come the next. After about three time rescheduling they call and cancel again but say they really really want it and ask if they can send a check. When the check comes it is for more than the asking price. They tell you the extra is to cover shipping as well as a couple extra hundred for your wasted time.

At that point it became obvious it was a scam so I don't know where it goes from there but the check was a fake and would bounce but it would take two weeks for the bounced check to come back and in those two weeks they somehow get you to refund them the cost of shipping.