PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Gage frog.

Mark Engel
10-26-2013, 5:11 PM
I know this is a real long shot, but I thought I'd ask.

I have a Stanley Gage No.7 jointer that has a cracked frog. I'm hoping that someone here might have one laying around that they would be willing to part with or maybe someone can point me towards another possible source. I've been checking on eBay for a while with no luck.

don wilwol
10-27-2013, 7:41 AM
New Hampshire plane parts had some on eBay not long ago

Mark Engel
10-27-2013, 8:46 AM
I had checked with Eric at NHPlaneParts. He does not currently have any No.7 Gage parts.
I may have found a G7 in bad condition that may yield a good frog.

Mark Engel
10-28-2013, 7:11 AM
Thanks for looking everyone. I found one. :D

Jim Koepke
10-28-2013, 11:31 AM
That's great Mark.

How about when you get it up and running you post some pictures and show us how it works.

Do you have more gage style planes?

Do you prefer them over other styles?

I have never used a gage style plane and have often wondered about them.

Mostly my planes are all of the Stanley/Bailey style.

jtk

Mark Engel
10-30-2013, 5:45 PM
I got the frog (and a few other parts) in the mail today and was able to get the No.7 put back together.
274014 274015 274016

I'll probably do a little more work cleaning it up when I have some time. There is still some rust on the base and the finish on the tote is pretty rough. But, it really works great just the way is is.

Jim, I do have one other Gage plane. It is actually branded HSB&Co. These were made by Stanley for Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. and sold by them with OVB(Our Very Best) stamped into the cutting iron and cast into the lever cap. This is a No.4 alongside the No.7.

I also have a Sargent No.710 self-setting. Similar concept to the Gage. The 710 is a little longer than the No.4.
274018 274019274020

A couple of things that I like about these Gage and Sargent planes. The depth adjuster has a fine thread and a direct action on the cutter. It makes it easy to zero in on the depth of cut you want. The adjuster has very little backlash. With the depth adjuster sitting up high at the same angle as the frog, there is more room behind the frog for your hand, especially on the smaller planes.

Jim Koepke
10-30-2013, 6:02 PM
Mark,

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

jtk

don wilwol
10-30-2013, 6:23 PM
Some excellent planes. I've got several of the 700 series sargents as well. I agree they are very nice planes.