PDA

View Full Version : Need help in finding parts for obsolete Grizzy table saw

Donald Snelling
10-26-2013, 2:09 PM
:confused:This being my first post please excuse any mistakes I may make. I have a grizzly table saw, model TSC-10L circa 1989. Purchased it knowing it had issues but loved the construction and features. Found it had been operated for a long time with the driven pully loose which had "hogged" out the arbor shaft to where a new pully would not fit. Also, the jam nut that holds the shaft centered had vibrated loose and had worn the nut and threads rendering the shaft useless. Called Grizzly amd was informed they no longer stock parts for this saw. Found the manufacturer for Grizzly and several other brands is Mao Shan in Tiawan. Emailed them and they responded right away with a manual and asked me to state which parts I need. Sent them a list three times with no response. Does anyone know of a dealer here in the USA that carries Mao Shan equipment? Have found they also make saws for Jet, Powermatic, Bridgewood, Sears and others but when contacting these cats I get a "Don't know what you are talking about!" Would appreciate any help or advise. Thanks. Luckolddon

Steve Schlumpf
10-26-2013, 4:09 PM
Found this in another forum, moved it and wanted to give it a bump. Hopefully someone can assist Don in finding parts.

Cary Falk
10-26-2013, 8:47 PM
I don't have an answer for you but if you could post a picture of the saw and the parts that are messed up, maybe somebody with a different saw can suggest replacement parts.

Alan Beech
10-27-2013, 1:01 PM
Don,
I just caught this in passing. I'm not here very often.

You have a heavy galling on a shaft under a pulley and you have a centering nut and bolt you need to replace.

Galled shaft.
Pull off the pulley and remove the shaft (if possible) and take it to a local machinist. He will advise you on one of the following:-
a) Turn off the offending gall leaving a depression of equal size around the shaft...a bit like a round dado. He should then be able to make a split bushing to fit the "dado" and will either epoxy it in or possibly weld it in. Then mount shaft in lathe and turn down to exact shaft size.
b) A rougher approach is to get a welder to deposit weld into the galling to make up for the missing metal...place on lathe and turn to exact size...there will be a few small pockets unfilled but should be OK.

Buy a new pulley and fit.

Replace shaft

Centering bolt
REmove bolt and nut
Buy a replacement from hardware store after measuring thread pitch and diameter
Use a tap to run down the threaded hole to clear and check for completeness
Replace bolt.....use maybe a grade 6 or 8 bolt.

other solutions maybe Craigs List for a beaten up parts machine and rob it of parts.

Now all this may/may not sound a bit different than you expected but in todays market manufacturers will not keep stocks of spares for a 5yr old machine let alone one made in 1989..24yrs ago. So you are thrown back on your own ingenuity.

Have a look at OWWM.org to see what sort of repairs they get upto on old USA WW iron/arn BUT DO NOT EXPECT any help there as they ban discussion of asian made kit. You should search OWWM for repairs to galled shafts and you will find many stories about how to do it.

regards
Al

PS: When looking for a machinist try to find a business which is full of old dirty, greasy machines and where the human occupants are similar but advanced in years you will find the right skill level there even if they need to make a whole new shaft for you.

Jim Andrew
10-27-2013, 9:25 PM
If you were close by, I would recommend a local shop. The guy welds up shafts and turns them back down to size mostly for combines. He farms for a living but enjoys doing some machine work. He is an old guy, (my age), and the previous post pretty well describes his shop.

Phil Thien
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I'd call Grizzly and ask if they have other saws from the same manufacturer, and which are the oldest for which they carry parts. You might find that part was used on newer versions of saws from the same manufacturer.

david brum
10-27-2013, 11:21 PM
I think that Harbor Freight still imports a version of that saw. They sometimes have parts...You have to call them.

HERE (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-professional-table-saw-46813.html)

Jared Sankovich
10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
if I'm understanding your description correctly turning down the shaft, knurling then turning to the correct diameter should fix it. Any machine shop should be able to do it if you can't find the replacement part.

I had to do that to a older on the motor shaft of 1023 saw I picked up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20130518_080903_393_zpsba162ed1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20130518_080819_852_zps4ae0f637.jpg

Though I would think grizzly would have a comparable part from a newer mode that should fit.

Donald Snelling
10-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Found this in another forum, moved it and wanted to give it a bump. Hopefully someone can assist Don in finding parts.
Thanks Steve. I see you excused my error!!!

Donald Snelling
10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did take it to a machine shop and was quoted two hundred bucks for building up and precision grinding to standard size. To make a new arbor shaft would be four hundred bucks, more than the saw is worth. This being a right hand tilt the arbor nut is L/H thread. This is their excuse for the excessive cost.

Donald Snelling
10-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your info. My trouble is that the machine shops around here (St. Louis Mo.) wants to retire on my dime. A quote of 2 to 4 hundred bucks is too rich for me.

Donald Snelling
10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Would love to find a shop near here that would do the job reasonably. And Jim, bet you are not too old. I have been accused of pulling K P at the last supper!

Donald Snelling
10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Grizzly does not stock this arbor shaft as it is a R/H tilt. They had a G1023 which used the same shaft but it became obsolete in 2010. Thanks for your input. This is a perfect picture and description of what I need.

Donald Snelling
10-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Have never had any luck in dealing with HF. You usually get some kid or foreigh person that I can't understand. However, your info is appreciated and will try to call them.

Matt Meiser
10-30-2013, 7:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. I did take it to a machine shop and was quoted two hundred bucks for building up and precision grinding to standard size. To make a new arbor shaft would be four hundred bucks, more than the saw is worth. This being a right hand tilt the arbor nut is L/H thread. This is their excuse for the excessive cost.

What do you think you should pay?

Jared Sankovich
10-30-2013, 7:57 AM
Would love to find a shop near here that would do the job reasonably. And Jim, bet you are not too old. I have been accused of pulling K P at the last supper!

$200 for a weld up and regrind is in line with machine shop prices. Shop rates would be 75-150/hr.

If you are looking for quick and cheap hit the high spot with a file, and assemble it with loctite sleeve retainer (609 or 638)

Steve Rozmiarek
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
If you want a cheap fix, there is another alternative. If you can weld, and are patient enough to do the setup, you can permanently weld a steel pulley to the shaft. Another cheap fix is to get some shim stock to wrap the shaft with to fill the gap. Or another cheap fix is to have the machinist turn the shaft down to a marginally smaller size pulley, without building it back up to original size. The keyway will have to be deepened a little as well. Both of which you could actually do yourself with files, a grinder and patience.

Bottom line, there are lots of ways to fix it if you're willing to trade your time to make it cheaper.

Phil Thien
10-30-2013, 1:18 PM
There are right-tilt arbors for other saws on eBay. Search for "right tilt arbor." I see one for a Jet, for example, for $57. I wonder if something like that could be adapted. Maybe need different bearings, different pulley, I don't know.

Matt Meiser
10-30-2013, 4:16 PM
There's also at least a dozen decent looking contractor saws on St. Louis Craigslist now that are surely just as good if not better machines for not much more than its going to cost this saw. I'm a fan of Grizzly (have 3 of their machines in my shop) but the 80's were not their golden years.

Donald Snelling
11-04-2013, 7:23 PM
Thanks Al. You are right about the OWWM web site. Tried them and they would not even let me join. Have tried the machine shop route and their prices are too rich for my blood. Have been quoted from 2 to 4 hundred bucks for about an hours work.

Donald Snelling
03-09-2014, 9:29 PM
Just to let everyone know. Found an identical arbor shaft from an old Delta 34-410. Thanks to everyone for their help. Now I can retire my old King-Sealy Craftsman.

Jim Andrew
03-10-2014, 9:08 AM
Where and how did you find it?

Rick Whitehead
03-10-2014, 2:30 PM
Just to let everyone know. Found an identical arbor shaft from an old Delta 34-410. Thanks to everyone for their help. Now I can retire my old King-Sealy Craftsman.

Ayone else see the irony here: Finding a used American-made part to replace an unavailable part for a foreign-made machine that was a copy of an American-made machine?
Rick W