PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors.....a gentle reminder....

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I have a Husky air compressor with a 26 gallon tank. I could not remember the last time I changed oil in it.

A few months ago I was in a local ACE Hardware store and saw a bottle of compressor oil. I bought it.

Last night after supper, I remembered it. I went to my shop, turned on the compressor and allowed it to fill. Then I shut it off and drained the air. I repeated this a couple times to warm up the compressor and the oil before I drained it.

When I drained it, I was shocked by how dirty the oil was.

I filled it, ran it and checked the oil level.

I am going to use it for a few weeks and then repeat the process. Following that I will place a sticker on it with the date the oil was changed.

Mike Henderson
10-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Good idea on putting a sticker on it with the date. I check mine every now and then to see how dirty it's getting but not on any regular basis.

Mike

Dave Kirby
10-26-2013, 11:22 AM
I have a Husky air compressor with a 26 gallon tank. I could not remember the last time I changed oil in it.

A few months ago I was in a local ACE Hardware store and saw a bottle of compressor oil. I bought it.

Last night after supper, I remembered it. I went to my shop, turned on the compressor and allowed it to fill. Then I shut it off and drained the air. I repeated this a couple times to warm up the compressor and the oil before I drained it.

When I drained it, I was shocked by how dirty the oil was.

I filled it, ran it and checked the oil level.

I am going to use it for a few weeks and then repeat the process. Following that I will place a sticker on it with the date the oil was changed.

That's a great idea to date the last oil change with a sticker. It also reminds me it's time to do this to my compressor as well! Thanks for the heads up!

Keith Outten
10-26-2013, 2:07 PM
You don't need a sticker.

Get yourself a china marker and store it with your shop pencils. You can write the oil change date right on the tank then wipe it off when you need to change the date.
I do this when I change oil in my cars, trucks, tractors, etc. Write the oil change date, mileage, how many quarts, type of oil, size of the wrench needed, etc on every machine.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2013, 6:05 PM
I just do mine once a year when I do the tractor, Mule, mower, pressure washer, generators, etc, etc. Dry erase marker works too as Keith suggested.

johnny means
10-26-2013, 7:00 PM
I just do mine once a year when I do the tractor, Mule, mower, pressure washer, generators, etc, etc. Dry erase marker works too as Keith suggested.

How do you change the oil on a mule:eek:

Dan Hintz
10-26-2013, 8:22 PM
How do you change the oil on a mule:eek:

Veeeeeery carefully...

Shawn Pixley
10-26-2013, 8:38 PM
I try to change replace smoke detector batteries, change compressor and vacuum pump oil and reset clocks when we change to/from daylight savings time. I just changed the oil in a vacuum pump we found a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe the gunk in there. I ran peanut oil through to try to get all the gunk I could out of it. I the refilled with new vacuum pump with the proper vacuum pump oil. I like the china marker idea.

James W Engle
10-26-2013, 9:50 PM
I just keep a small book of all "off highway engine oil service" which includes generators, tractors, pumps, etc. Another book for vehicles used on the road.

James Biddle
10-27-2013, 8:10 AM
I ordered my new air compressor this year with an hour meter. Easy to know when oil changes are due and to show the low milage if I ever need to sell.